Stella 2.3 Released!

DaveC posted on Dec 24 2006 at 07:26 AM said:
Volume to select things? why? couldn't you use the stick for that? I would never think to use a button that is normally used to change volume to navigate menus, it is just weird. I only found that by accident while thrashing around to get something to work.

Wait, so you didn't read the readme?

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Dec 24 2006 at 12:54 PM said:
For example you could have the 4 face buttons do 1 of the 4 options at the bottom. X could be "go up", B could be "select", A "options", Y "quit". That would be much faster as well when navigating directories. Now you have to hit "volume" Then tab over to "go up" then tab back to the directory section, then hit "B" Then "B" again. With that assigned to a button you would just hit "X" to instantly go up a directory then "B" to go into another directory. That would be quicker.

Read the f***ing readme. There is no reason, ever, to hit the 'Go Up' button.

I think you must like to hear yourself talk. I'm not rewriting the interface, period. Remapping, maybe. Don't ask for anything else. You aren't motivating me to take any of your suggestions.

zansatsu posted on Dec 24 2006 at 07:25 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 24 2006 at 12:54 PM said:
For example you could have the 4 face buttons do 1 of the 4 options at the bottom. X could be "go up", B could be "select", A "options", Y "quit". That would be much faster as well when navigating directories. Now you have to hit "volume" Then tab over to "go up" then tab back to the directory section, then hit "B" Then "B" again. With that assigned to a button you would just hit "X" to instantly go up a directory then "B" to go into another directory. That would be quicker.

Read the f***ing readme. There is no reason, ever, to hit the 'Go Up' button.

I think you must like to hear yourself talk. I'm not rewriting the interface, period. Remapping, maybe. Don't ask for anything else. You aren't motivating me to take any of your suggestions.

I use the 'Go Up' all of the time. Because there are alot of ROMs it would take way too long to scroll through over 2000 roms to get to the one you want. So I have them broken down into sub directories like "abc" "def" etc.

I did read the "readme" It doesn't explain what those JO B16 etc. codes mean. I don't know why you are so against *all* of my suggestions.

zansatsu posted on Dec 24 2006 at 07:48 PM said:
Joystick Mapping is covered in the 'docs' directory packaged with every Stella binary, check Chapter 9.

I looked through that. There was no mention of the GP2X key equivalents just PC and OSX. That is ok I can just fiddle with it until it is set. It only has to be done once so it is not a big deal.

How about the suggestion to center the screen vertically? If not too hard maybe at least that could be done someday.

Thanks for the emu though it does run nice.

The vertical centering isn't feasible. Certain games, even on the television, had a sizable black bar at the bottom. It's a design of the cart/ROM itself and to write that out, would mean we'd have to rewrite the game. I think that's a little outside the scope of an emulator. Besides, rewriting Ms. Pacman would be blasphemous. ;)

Also, if you happen to find a mapping that you like and think is more comfortable then let me know.

zansatsu posted on Dec 24 2006 at 08:19 PM said:
The vertical centering isn't feasible. Certain games, even on the television, had a sizable black bar at the bottom. It's a design of the cart/ROM itself and to write that out, would mean we'd have to rewrite the game. I think that's a little outside the scope of an emulator. Besides, rewriting Ms. Pacman would be blasphemous. ;)

Also, if you happen to find a mapping that you like and think is more comfortable then let me know.

Ok that is fine I thought the black bar was due to the 160 x 192 A2600 resolution being lower than the GP2X 320 x 240 (I know to fill horizontally they just double the 160 to 320 pixels). If that was the case it would have been a matter of just starting to paint the 2600 screen at a different lower starting "scan line" on the LCD. The result is that instead of the large black bar at the bottom you would have a "letterbox", 2 smaller bars, one small one on top one small one on bottom. This is what the Lynx emulator and some others do. But if this works different and is not feasible that is fine.

I would never suggest re-writing ROMs. I know that would be ridiculous, and as you said blasphemy.

Thanks again though and have a good holiday.

i bought the gp2x ONLY because there was stella.
the vcs is the mother of all of those consoles that DON`T SUCK.
NO serious retro-gamer would ignore stella.
she was (and is) a BEAUTY ;)

thank you for more skilled work on this great emulator :) :) :) merry x-mas and a happy new year!

manhill
(who placed 3rd at the official atari "asteroids"-contest in 1981)

All of the issues that I had with 2.2 were addressed in this release (2.3).

What a great emulator, thank you.

I finally had the time to try it out(busy holidays and all) and I must say this is great stuff, thanks to everybody who worked on this emulator :)

Back