Steam announcement countdown..

I will pass,

Already pre-ordered PS4, and I will continue to use my T510 for my steam games (CS:GO and Indies) for the next ~2.5 years. And then i will get myself some ThinkPad/Elittebook mobile workstation class laptop.

For sure I will get Steam Machine, if they release full cloud box in the next 2 to 3 years.
T510 is a beast, It's my work issued laptop though..I did sneak steam on it for moral improving and that's important..

Those specs are really powerful. The question is: What for? Current Linux titles hardly need such power. Valve really must have some aces up its sleeve.
Not neccessarily. This is just a 'my whatever is bigger than yours' market segment. They need to be impressive to be taken seriously.

Those specs are really powerful. The question is: What for? Current Linux titles hardly need such power. Valve really must have some aces up its sleeve.
Well given we are talking LAN connection speeds, it is possible that they're setting up some kind of streaming protocol that works on a more distributed basis then say a remote desktop.  That'd allow more flexibility for taking advantage of client side processing capabilities, and allow more flexibility in talking advantage of using a Windows PC as a win32DLL equipped host for backwards compatibility to the entire Steam catalogue.  nVidia already has the more basic side of that infrastructure from their Shield project.

At the very least it's so there's enough overhead that developers don't feel put upon to "optimize" their code for native ports to their free operating system, which is Valve's ultimate goal.

I like the trackpad idea instead of a dpad/stick/nub for something like Street Fighter! I think that would really make pulling off some moves a lot easier :)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well you could do the 6 buttons with the other track pad

Sold on the right pad (as I was to start off with) , not sold on the left pad(instead of a joystick) and not sold on the lack of the standard face button config

^ I feel the same. I can use one of this trackpads, but I´m far from ready to let go all those years of using buttons, joypads and joysticks.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Valve set to demo its own Virtual Reality hardware"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-valve-set-to-demo-its-own-virtual-reality-hardware

Valve will demonstrate its own Virtual Reality hardware early next year, it's announced.

During the Half-Life maker's developer and publisher-only Steam Dev Days event in January 2014, Valve will show off VR hardware and reveal how it plans to change Steam to support it.

In a talk titled "What VR Could, Should, and Almost Certainly Will Be within Two Years," Valve's respected tech genius Mike Abrash will discuss the mystery hardware.

Looks as smooth as with a mouse, but I wonder how much you have to exercise to get a comparable precision including 180° turns.

Certainly way better than joysticks for fps (I never understood that).

Last edited by a moderator:
Really can't see any reason to buy one of these over a standard PC.

Unless of course Valve's OS is so efficient that I can run top spec games with all details on a low end machine.

Really can't see any reason to buy one of these over a standard PC.
Then you aren't the target demographic.The SteamBox is being marketed to people that either cannot or don't want to be bothered with the nuances of configuring their PC to connect to their TV and installing a custom operating system. If you can do these things then there is no reason for you to buy a SteamBox over a standard PC.

It doesn't make sense to buy the cheapest $499 edition and have crappy graphics and lags and get beaten up by your online opponents who are rich boys and have the best $6000 version. This is why I don't play PC games - different PCs give you different results for the same game. I'll stick to Pandora, Shield, and consoles for now.

Once again, you are obviously not the target demographic. If you don't understand then you don't need it, it is solving a problem that you simply don't care about.

Back