Steam announcement countdown..

I hope it's a cheap box... with the number of game I own compatible with big view that would be great...

As a PC-gamer I'm not really interested in a PC-like gaming console. If I wanted to play on TV I would just set up a HTPC myself. Maybe some exciting technical details could change my mind :)

I agree, but a massproduced steambox would assure low compatibility problem (or quick fixes in the case of problem) and much cheaper price than a HTPC... with bundled controlers and thing like that... it could be great...

^

RIght.

Maybe they want to force everyone who releases on steam to make a Linux version.

As a PC-gamer I'm not really interested in a PC-like gaming console. If I wanted to play on TV I would just set up a HTPC myself. Maybe some exciting technical details could change my mind :)
Key reasons to do that,
Higher specs than the ps4 and xboxone which are really weak already

Drivers optimized for the hardware

Dedicated peripherals.

Target specs to optimize the games

Bigger install base pushing linux penetration on steam if it sells well.

Affordable

Plug and play with dedicated distribution.

But more than hardware what they need with the anouncement is the official support from Big publishers. They need to get at least a few major titles for it. If not it will be hard for them to take off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every steam box optimized game could cause incompatibilities with standard PCs, which will certainly stay the main platform for Steam. And I'm sure, developers don't want to maintain two different versions just for Steam.

Anyway, I wish them luck. Windows has too long dominated games market :)

Reddit pointed out that there's three bubbles, and the countdown is under the first one. Whatever they're doing, there's 3 parts to it. (Half Life 3 confirmed :p )

I hope a Steam Box running Linux would lead to more games running on Linux. That way, I can sever my ties with windows (asuming I can find alternatives to my damn school software)

Given that the three bubbles are labelled

o

[o--]

o+o

It could be two things and something unifying them...

I was planning on building a silent gaming/multimedia computer for the living room around Xmas.

A steam box would be interesting if the bang for the bucks is good enough and if it's serviceable and upgradeable by myself.

Wait & see…

Not long now.  My guess is that there will be a VR aspect to it. 

the cat represents schrödinger’s cat, which could be dead/alive at any point, so it’s half-alive

half-life

The controller has three buttons.

three

half-life three

Schrödinger’s cat was put in a box

box

steam-box

-> potentially HL3 exclusive for steam box running Linux? That would be one of the strongest way to push for that hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope a Steam Box running Linux would lead to more games running on Linux. That way, I can sever my ties with windows (asuming I can find alternatives to my damn school software)
Quit that damn school and come here and jump right into the deep end here and you would probably learn more :)

Back