Steam announcement countdown..

I already have Steam running on Debian. I'm not the target demographic.

What I find MOST interesting about this is that there will be thousands of 'gamers' who buy these then find out that they can do so much more with the Linux OS that is on them - and convert.

It's really all about PC gaming without Windows going mainstream. I think that's pretty cool. I'm not buying one - no use for another Linux PC with Steam on it - but I still think it's pretty darn cool.

^ I guess that's the only good part about it - big player like Valve is using Linux for running their games.  More official hardware support for Linux community in the future I guess.  Now that I think about it, I may buy one because it's Linux :)

Now that I think about it, I may buy one because it's Linux
Look up the recommended hardware and build one yourself, install SteamOS manually. It'll be much cheaper and you'll still get the same (possibly better) experience.

I'm a bit disapointed that there's no ARM streaming only cheap steam box... all the disclosed box are i3, i5 or i7 based...

edit: with the price tag that comes along

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the SteamOS work with all games on Steam? or just ones that support Linux?

I've been tempted to try Linux on my main desktop, but one of the things that stops me is that I've a ton of games in Steam

I've been tempted to try Linux on my main desktop, but one of the things that stops me is that I've a ton of games in Steam
Only games with linux support will work

but other games will be supported trough streaming from your computer (needing thus a main computer...) assuming I understood the whole correctly

One last quick question - If you bought the Windows version, but then logged in on a Linux device, do you get access to the games from your Windows library that have Linux support? or do you have to buy Linux versions seperately?

One last quick question - If you bought the Windows version, but then logged in on a Linux device, do you get access to the games from your Windows library that have Linux support? or do you have to buy Linux versions seperately?

You get all platforms for one purchase when you buy a game on steam.

But wait - there's more.

Just because a game doesn't work on Steam for Linux yet does not mean that you can't play it on a Linux machine. Of the remaining 'non-Linux' games on Steam, somewhere in the range of 80% or more can be played on Linux under WINE.

If I were due for a computer upgrade/update/new, I would consider buying one of these Steam machines. I'd likely re-build the OS as a straight up Debian box. The prices they're listing are actually pretty close to what an end consumer could wind up spending for the parts & shipping plus a few hours labor. The machine you get hasn't paid a Microsoft tax and is guaranteed to run Linux out of the box. Really - they're not bad. Some of them are pretty compact too.

Right now I'm full up on computers though.

Just because a game doesn't work on Steam for Linux yet does not mean that you can't play it on a Linux machine. Of the remaining 'non-Linux' games on Steam, somewhere in the range of 80% or more can be played on Linux under WINE
Can you run both Steam's concurrently? well, installed concurrently.

Do most games run okay via WINE? I can't really think what I've got on my Steam, I know GreedCorp, XCOM:EU, and tons of stuff you get off Humble Bundles

Just because a game doesn't work on Steam for Linux yet does not mean that you can't play it on a Linux machine. Of the remaining 'non-Linux' games on Steam, somewhere in the range of 80% or more can be played on Linux under WINE
Can you run both Steam's concurrently? well, installed concurrently.
You can have both -installed- concurrently and switch back and forth. You can not play the same game on both installs concurrently as steam would require a 2nd license & session for the 2nd one.
Do most games run okay via WINE? I can't really think what I've got on my Steam, I know GreedCorp, XCOM:EU, and tons of stuff you get off Humble Bundles
I haven't tried GreedCorp or XCOM:EU.

I can vouch for all of the half-life 1&2 series and derivatives (Including Portal 2) working on WINE. All of those but Portal 2 are on the Steam for Linux side. I suspect they're holding Portal 2 from Steam for Linux for the Steam console roll out.

I've been playing Killing Floor and Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam for Linux lately.

The old DOS XCOM games from Steam - install them under WINE, then copy their files over to a DOSBOX directory. So - it's not without having to do a few tricks for some titles.

Looks like they may change the controller to include a joystick on the left side.  That makes me happy. I've said that it should have this from the start. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/23/valves-steam-controller-thumbstick/#comments

Alpha-controller-valve.jpg

A stick would be better than the broken d-pad they were showing before.  But I reckon it needs a D-pad, unless this is an innovative stick with optional 4-way and 8-way "digital" locking...

They should try to make some 'transformer" convertible controls, can switch from D-pad to 4 buttons to a stick, and change from left to right if you're left handed, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back