Started Vns Game :)

VirtuaLeech posted on Feb 9 2004 at 08:14 PM said:
This DBZ story sounds really good. Please let me know if you think VNS is missing some features. I will see what I can do to incorporate them.
Until now everythings going fine :)

still, >4channel mods would be cool, but it looks like modlib doesnt support it yet, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right. The author of modlib was working on a newer version but I haven't heard anything about it for a long time.

To the sprites: heres a test sprite i inserted in the game and im wondering if ppl think this looks OK or if it suck :blink:
if it suck i (or you can help, too) will try to find some other sprites in the internet.
This picture comes from a RM2k page so it isnt in high quality... well...

testsprite.jpg

thanks again falken80 :) very useful.

btw. to the pic i showed above the nappa sprite is quite stretched (120x200) and i wanted to make it smaller so i tried 100x200 and that looked good but vns doesnt allow it (it crashes while loading the story)

i read this in the (great) vns guide:
Due to a bug in the BMP loading routine BMP dimensions must be a multiple of 20 (ex. 20x120).

as i can speak english, but not perfect at all, can someone german translate me this :blink: ? what exactly means "multiple of 20" ?

btw. i got over 100 scenes right now :p (ph2 and japanese loves story got about 500 ^_^ which were fun so im getting in there ) already did 1:5 of these games in only 4 days :D

multiple of 20
ex : 20,40,60,80,100,120,140,160,180,200,220,240,260,280
20+20+... :)

Interesting... it's been ages since I watched DBZ. Me and my friends would make jokes that one episode was the time it took for that energy ball that Goku had to increase in size by about 10%. Next episode, another 10%. Two after that, he actually throws it. :p

I don't think I got as far as the Radditz storyline, though...

P.S. In that screenshot: it should be "Goku's saiyan brother" not "Gokus saiyan brother."

/Spelling Nazi

Wolfsclaw posted on Feb 10 2004 at 08:03 PM said:
so, why does 100x200 not work :blink:
That's indeed weird. Maybe you can send me the sprite so I can check it?

But if you have to change the sprite dimension from 100x200 to 120x200 it doesn't mean you also have to stretch the sprite. Almost all paint programs allow you to just add some new space to the side of the image so the image gets larger without stretching it. In PaintShopPro 4.12 (the best version in my opinion) this is called Enlarge canvas.

Last edited by a moderator:
120x200 and i wanted to make it smaller so i tried 100x200

That won't work VNS needs the size to be 20 so it means u can't do 110x200 cause the 110 isnt done in 20's and there is a bug i think? where 100 doesnt work cause its 2 small but i dont know.

the width and lenght can only be a value of 20,40,60,80,100,120,140,160,180,200,220,240,260,280,300,320

320x 240 is the max of course

If the sprite looks best at 100x200 then set the image size to 120x200 and have that extra 20 just the colour of your transparency

In Photoshop i copy the sprite make the image size 120x200 then i paste the sprite back in this way the sprite is at 100x200 when u paste it back instead of 120x200 :)

Using sprites will make it easier for you and alot smaler size for everyone else cause right now u have every character as a 320 x 240 pic and when u want the character in different background u will have another 320x240 but if u wanted the same background with a diff face like goku as a SS then u would just set the sprite to gokuSS.bmp,m :)

Also good background can be found in all the DBZ snes games as u can just disable the sprite layer in zsnes and then u can take a good pic of the background :)

if u need anyhelp me or virtualeech will be here :)

:ph34r:

Hi, just had a look at your alpha version. The reason it doesn't load anymore is scene [077]. The VNS textwrap lines supports a maximum of 10 lines containing 25 characters. So a text wrapline can have a maximum length of 250 (use 230 to be safe). The textwrap line in your scene [077] is 356. VNS does not (yet) have error checking on this. It just crashes ;) .

Furthermore I must say the story so far looks very good. Great reuse of backgrounds.

I would also like to give you some pointers for the rest of the story:
Replace SOUNDFREQ=S11 with SOUNDFREQ=S44. This reduces the crackling of the sound.
When you want the story to continue with the next scene you can leave out the choice1=.
So you get scenes like:

[011]
textwrap=[Vegeta] Okay, lets do this.

[012]
textwrap=[Nappa].....................Huh?

This saves some typing but is especially handy when scenes have to be renamed.
Also look at the new keyword TEXTOWNER=. This displays a small picture in the top left corner of the textbox to identify the talking person. This way you can omit the name of the character at the beginning of a sentence.

Keep up the good work. If you have any other questions/problems don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you im glad you like it :D

Thanks for the tips with soundfreq and the bug fix :)

at the week-end i have time to work very hard and im pretty sure i can finish the vegeta-nappa episode soon :)

Virtualeech - is there a time frame on the next version of the VNS or is it one of those "ready when it's ready" type things? I feel like I'm almost ready to start messing with this (well okay not yet I still have a million unrelated things to do) but I'm sure if I wait for a few bug fixes and maybe what ever features you might add things might become alot easier!

It's more a ready-when-I-find-time release ;) Since I don't have that much time to code (between my job, wife, kid, houseguest, social live, playing games) I really can't plan any next release. It also depends what new features I or the users can come up with for the new version. I am currently waiting to see if any more bugs come up beside the two known before releasing a bugfix version.

But when the next real new version with new features (or even what features) will be released I have no idea.

Back