Standby Mode On Pandora ?

matbuk03

Still Fresh
I think i've seen it mentioned elsewhere that the pandora will have a battery backed clock. I supposed this would mean that alarms would be a given but would it allow for another program to be executed such as as task/reminder system? Alternatively, could you have a reminder program running as a background process that when an alarm event triggered the pandora to switch on, the background process would resume running?

Also, will the pandora have some sort of standby mode a bit like mobile phones?

MattB said:
Also, will the pandora have some sort of standby mode a bit like mobile phones?
If you close the lid, it will go into 'suspend to ram' which is basically a low power mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
How fast would it recover from a suspend? And how long could it last suspended, battery-wise?

there's been talk of almost indefinite suspend to ram...but I don't believe that. However, it should be able to last at least 2 days suspended to ram from a full charge.

It'll probably last about 24 hours in suspend mode, after which the memory will be dumped to more permanent storage and the device will basically be switched off. So in theory it could last however long you want, but you should be recharging the battery at least every 3 months or so.

Squidge said:
If you close the lid, it will go into 'suspend to ram' which is basically a low power mode.
Thats particularly great if you want to use the Pandora as a PDA. You dont want to spend 10-15 seconds waiting for your device to bootup when noting down some info/notes from someone on the phone for instance.

wouldn't suspend to ram defeat mp3 playing capabilities? I bet a lot of people would want to close the lid and have it still playing thier playlist....

cb88 said:
wouldn't suspend to ram defeat mp3 playing capabilities? I bet a lot of people would want to close the lid and have it still playing thier playlist....
This has been explained several times already, but here it goes again. All suspend and shutdown options are controlled by software. Anything that is done with software can be changed. Whether you want your Pandora to suspend to RAM, suspend to disk, shut down completely, or anything else when you close the lid, it will all be configurable.

I wonder if it would be possible to configure it so that if say xmms or app X is running to take Y course of action.....

BTW chip im reading through the FAQ just to make you happy :)

Karel Jansens said:
magicman5421 said:
there's been talk of almost indefinite suspend to ram...but I don't believe that.
Not unless Craig has found a supplier of memristor circuits...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memristor

Hey, you never know. HP could be using Pandora to test their new Memresistors.....
That or Pandora just accelerates to near the speed of light till it is needed again so that the battery lasts longer in suspend.

Megamixman said:
Karel Jansens said:
magicman5421 said:
there's been talk of almost indefinite suspend to ram...but I don't believe that.
Not unless Craig has found a supplier of memristor circuits...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memristor

Hey, you never know. HP could be using Pandora to test their new Memresistors.....
That or Pandora just accelerates to near the speed of light till it is needed again so that the battery lasts longer in suspend.

I don't believe anybody ever claimed indefinite suspend to RAM. That is just silly. I've personally claimed indefinite suspend to disk, but that's because it's true.

Chip said:
I don't believe anybody ever claimed indefinite suspend to RAM. That is just silly. I've personally claimed indefinite suspend to disk, but that's because it's true.
it can only last as long as the battery does and the battery will slowly discharge...but I get the point.

I really thought it would have far more than 24 hours of standby life. My PSP has more than a week and my Palm LifeDrive lasts like a month...

But if it hibernates when the battery goes low, then I'm happy enough. I'd go farther than that and say make it hibernate after a time of suspend so as to preserve battery, say hibernate after 2h of standby. That sound to me like another session, and it shouldn't take THAT long to recover from hibernate. Probably less than a full boot-up :)

Tinnus said:
That sound to me like another session, and it shouldn't take THAT long to recover from hibernate. Probably less than a full boot-up :)
Certainly less than a full boot up. It should only take as long as it takes to transfer the 128MB memory image from the SD card to the RAM. At 20MB/s that's about 6 sec.

If earlier estimations were correct (i.e. up to 100 hours playing mp3s) then hopefully 24 hours in suspend mode should be a breeze ;)

I said it would hibernate after 24 hours to conserve battery power. I didn't say the battery would be flat after 24 hours of standby :p

(Of course, the settings will be adjustable)

Squidge said:
I said it would hibernate after 24 hours to conserve battery power. I didn't say the battery would be flat after 24 hours of standby :p

(Of course, the settings will be adjustable)
It's good to know that you can set it to hibernate after being x time in standby, I really love how you can set it to do anything you like :lol:

Back