Sound Issues On Replacement Pandora

kneo_ghau

Still Fresh
OK got my replacement Pandora back and LCD screen is working fine, however the sound isn't :( I've applied hotfix 4 which hasn't helped.

Basically when playing anything that requires sound i can hear the background sounds fine but the main sound there's nothing. IE in sonic 3 i get background music, but no jumping sounds or smashing things. If i listen very closely i can just about hear the normal sound but it's very quiet and slightly crackly. The same thing on MP3s and video's as well.

If i use headphones the sound works perfectly out of these leading me to suspect it's dodgy speakers rather than software, although i've had software issues with sound on linux before (O2 joggler doesn't work with headphones ironically)

I've done a search and not found anything so unsure what else to try or what else could be causing it that won't result in me needing to post it back off :(

Please help

That sounds weird. I'm not sure if the speakers have a different amp as the headphones, as it sounds it's something like that.

One question though: Sonic 3 has NORMAL background music but no sound effects? :eek:

It could be a bad cable to the speakers, I've seen cables with poor contacts that blocks out some of the frequency spectrum, but not everything. An example: I could hear the baseline and all low pitch instruments perfectly fine, but the violins where totally damped.

As i'm to lazy to sign up to youtube again

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EXQUEGCM

A quick crappy video that most shows the problem. Right at the start there's no sound when hitting the blue spheres in the special stage, no jumping sounds, no spring sounds, yet the coins make the usual collected sound.

As said sound works perfectly when connected to headphones. Both speakers make the same noise as well when something is playing it's not as though one is working on some frequencies and one on different ones

Somehow sounds panned to the center are being canceled out. You hear the rings because they alternate panning left and right. So yeah, sounds like something is broken but I can't really guess what other than likely something screwed up in the way stuff is connected, maybe something touching something that it shouldn't be. But it could be some odd configuration problem, but that's not too likely...

paulguy said:
Somehow sounds panned to the center are being canceled out. You hear the rings because they alternate panning left and right. So yeah, sounds like something is broken but I can't really guess what other than likely something screwed up in the way stuff is connected, maybe something touching something that it shouldn't be. But it could be some odd configuration problem, but that's not too likely...
I'd take a rough guess and say that there's something wrong with the LCD cable, atleast it would work if the cable has a single ground line for the speakers, and they were both connected to the same negative point in the LCD side. I dont know the exact configuration, but this is what I think:
Code:
So if the connection is like this:
R -------------------- \_/ <- speaker R
G ----------------------|
L ---------------------/-\ <- speaker L

Then if you cut the ground line you get the equivalent of this:
R -------\_R speaker_/--------\_L speaker_/-------- L
Thus you will only hear stuff when the audio level differs on the channels.

EDIT: TL;DR RMA it.

Last edited by a moderator:
urjaman said:
EDIT: TL;DR RMA it.

Although i read it all, this was the bit i understood.

Guess i'll fire off another email for now

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it sounds like one of the speakers could be wired up backwards.

Back