Squidgesnes 0.396

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
This version contains two completely different graphics renderers. One is the performance renderer, and the other is the accuracy/quality renderer (which now includes transparency support). You can choose the best for each rom and save that setting. You can even switch the graphics renderer mid-game by holding both volume buttons and tapping the right shoulder button.

Note however that since this is a beta, you should really save your progress before changing the graphics renderer mid-game, in case it decides to fall over. It seems to work perfect in the few games I've tested however. For example, I played level one of donkey kong in the "performance" renderer, and then the second level was unplayable due to the foreground being almost completely covered in cloud. A quick change to "accuracy" and it was solved

URL: http://www.squidgey.plus.com/ssnes/
[cut]
===================

For those who have not used this before, and general notes:

SquigeSNES is an emulator for the Super Nintendo that runs most games, and a lot of them at (almost) full speed.

This is an update only. It requires files from a previous version.[/cut]

I love the idea of being able to change the rendering on the fly. Definitely worth trying out :) Thanks.

The renderer change doesn't seem to work at all. Maybe I'm just not going it right, but every time I hit vol.+ and vol.- then R, it freezes.

yalborap posted on Mar 5 2007 at 11:29 AM said:
The renderer change doesn't seem to work at all. Maybe I'm just not going it right, but every time I hit vol.+ and vol.- then R, it freezes.
Not freezing for me o_O

Bugs--> NO zip working, only SMC.

P.D: Too slow with transparency ON, like 50 % worse than PocketSNES.The sound is worse than in PocketSNES at the moment too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rivroner posted on Mar 5 2007 at 02:54 AM said:
yalborap posted on Mar 5 2007 at 11:29 AM said:
Not freezing for me o_O

Bugs--> NO zip working, only SMC.

P.D: Too slow with transparency ON, like 50 % worse than PocketSNES.The sound is worse than in PocketSNES at the moment too.

Hm, all my ROMs are zipped. probably the problem.

Still, looks like good progress.

Strange, I linked with zlib. Must say though, I didn't actually try any zips as all 4 of my roms are unzipped, I'll zip them up and find out whats wrong.

I get about 15fps in DKC's second level (with the cloud at the front of the screen) with transparency on, are you saying PS gets about 30fps? I'll have to download and try.

I haven't had much luck with it thus far. Though my zips are loading fine, I can't get transparencies working. If I try to do on the fly switch while in game, the emulator crashes. I also tried setting it to accuracy renderer with transparencies on before loading the rom, and transparencies still don't display anyway.

I'm on FW 2.0.0, and I was testing Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures and Castlevania IV.

Apple posted on Mar 5 2007 at 02:37 PM said:
Why is it that noone ever adds support for Final Fantasy Mystic Quest??

Because, in this case, far more people are currently requesting working transparancies.

Nice one on the update Squidge. :)

Okay, ignore my previous post. I deleted my old config, and now the different modes and switching on the fly and stuff works very well. It did however break my zip file loading.

I can also second what rivroner said. Running Indiana Jones in DPS with transparencies on gives me about 26-31fps and smooth sound. The same level in SS accuracy mode with transparencies gives about 12-16 fps with stuttering sound.

naples39 posted on Mar 5 2007 at 03:22 PM said:
Okay, ignore my previous post. I deleted my old config, and now the different modes and switching on the fly and stuff works very well. It did however break my zip file loading.

I can also second what rivroner said. Running Indiana Jones in DPS with transparencies on gives me about 26-31fps and smooth sound. The same level in SS accuracy mode with transparencies gives about 12-16 fps with stuttering sound.

That is kind of why I voted in the poll to do Pc-Engine rather than adding transparencies to SS. It seems to me a better approach would have been to optimise the renderer in PocketSNES (which is currently unoptimised, has alot of room for speedup, and Reesy said he is working on anyway) than to try to hack the transparencies into SS. It seemed to me the SNES9x renderer that SS uses is not too good at transparencies or rasters, I guess it didn't need to be on the PC from which it was originally ported. Rasters even severely bogs down the PSP clocked to 333. I am no coder though so who knows.

DaveC posted on Mar 5 2007 at 01:12 PM said:
naples39 posted on Mar 5 2007 at 03:22 PM said:

That is kind of why I voted in the poll to do Pc-Engine rather than adding transparencies to SS. It seems to me a better approach would have been to optimise the renderer in PocketSNES (which is currently unoptimised, has alot of room for speedup, and Reesy said he is working on anyway) than to try to hack the transparencies into SS. It seemed to me the SNES9x renderer that SS uses is not too good at transparencies or rasters, I guess it didn't need to be on the PC from which it was originally ported. Rasters even severely bogs down the PSP clocked to 333. I am no coder though so who knows.

I voted for transparencies because I was kinda hoping for the best of both worlds, so instead of having to choose DPS or SS when starting up a game, you can always use SS and just change renderers on the fly, using the best renderer all the way down to specific levels of the same game. Perhaps that's an unreasonable hope, but I think if that ever came to fruition it would be a great step in gp2x SNES emulation.

I'll try and get the speed up and some bugs squashed. Once the mystery project soaks up all my spare time sometime later on this week, there will not be much done on SS for a while...

Squidge posted on Mar 5 2007 at 09:26 PM said:
I'll try and get the speed up and some bugs squashed. Once the mystery project soaks up all my spare time sometime later on this week, there will not be much done on SS for a while...
Thank you man :)

Back