Squidgesnes 0.393 Test

Squidge posted on Feb 12 2007 at 11:27 PM said:
Well, when I get some more motivation I'll add my next plan (don't worry DaveC, it doesn't involve disabling anything ;) ) and it'll give a few more fps. It certainly won't give a 33% increase however, so mode 7 stuff will remain slow :(

Thank you very much Squidge, your work is very appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Feb 12 2007 at 10:27 PM said:
Well, when I get some more motivation I'll add my next plan (don't worry DaveC, it doesn't involve disabling anything ;) ) and it'll give a few more fps. It certainly won't give a 33% increase however, so mode 7 stuff will remain slow :(

Have you thought about maybe working with Reesy on this? I don't know but I would think you two super coders working together might produce some great results. If all of the brain power was concentrated on one emu it may get farther than two coders going off in separate directions. Just an idea, up to you of course.

SS is great work. It is a good alternative when speed is prefered over effects. I prefer DRPS though because of the transparencies. I find the menu system in SS a bit cumbersome. I can't find how to change clock speed in SS. In DRPS I like how you can save the parameters *per game* so you can actually tailor each one for different options, clock speeds etc. This way you don't have to faff about with each game to find (and remember) what the "sweet spot" was as it autoloads the config in each game. If the speed of SS could be combined with the features of DRPS, you guys would have a killer app there, as it is they are great though.

Squidge posted on Feb 12 2007 at 10:27 PM said:
It certainly won't give a 33% increase however, so mode 7 stuff will remain slow :(

But it looks okay with frameskip, so no big deal :)

Thanks Squidge.

True, my tests were also done using frameskip set to auto.

But! theres a big difference between lower fps full-speed and real 60fps full-speed.

DKC is actually a good example, using 0.392 of squidgesnes; play the first level, now compare the normal experience with the smoothness of the bonus stages...theres a perceptible difference in the quality of the emulation...1 is smooth, the other is jerky.

Super Mario Kart (U) is another fine example. try the settings I used from my initial post, now put raster back to full. even with the auto frameskip setting the lower fps effects gameplay so while it maybe fullspeed, it doesnt feel like the real snes experience.

My personal benchmark for snes emulation is Super Mario Kart (U) at 60fps...this version of squidgesnes is the first to achieve 60fps (albeit with no sound and gfx glitches).

Theres a lot of work to be done as we all know. Each release is greatly appreciated and worth using :)

DaveC posted on Feb 13 2007 at 12:19 AM said:
because of the transparencies. I find the menu system in SS a bit cumbersome. I can't find how to change clock speed in SS.

It's in the settings menu, along with all the other settings :)

In DRPS I like how you can save the parameters *per game* so you can actually tailor each one for different options, clock speeds etc.

Already in there. Once a rom is loaded and you exit to the menu/settings, you can adjust the settings and save those settings per game.

Obviously if there's no rom loaded, you can only save the general settings, as otherwise it wouldn't know what game(rom) to associate them with.

Does anyone else have a problem with SSNES .39 or over with sound, it is fine for me with frameskip at auto but at 0 the sound is all distorted :huh:

mdinire posted on Feb 13 2007 at 04:16 AM said:
Does anyone else have a problem with SSNES .39 or over with sound, it is fine for me with frameskip at auto but at 0 the sound is all distorted :huh:

The sound is distorted because it's not running at 60fps. When games go below 60fps when you have 0 frameskip the sound is trying to keep up but it gets slow and distorted. Keeping your settings at auto frameskip drops frames to keep the game at a constant speed so the sound is always able to keep up.

I have tested the new Version of the emulator. But maybe I had chosen the wrong games. Super Metroid looks like crap with the alternative raster-Methods. They kill the GUI and make funny colors. :lol:
Well Super Metroid is one of the games that needs transparency. I play it well on PocketSNES. But I wish I could play it with Transp. AND the 50/50 FPS of Squidgesnes. :) SquidgeSNES drives the Game so fast only with 200Mhz. But I need 270MHz in PocketSNES to have the Luxus of transparencies on 25/50 FPS max. ^^
And Sadly this strange "Transhack" in Squidgesnes is quite useless for Metroid.

Good work squidge... the emulator got a bit better now with more flexibility.

the most irritating thing about SquidgeSNES was that the sound started to stutter when the emulation dropped to lower framerates. The only thing which really kept me from playing. Happened especially in FF VI.. nearly everywhere in there.

Btw... i dont want to know about the tricks UAE4ALL does because if i remember right the raster tricks the amiga had (ham-mode) was to shift bits within *each* vertical line... no wonder that the loading picture of Beast3 looks a bit distorted :|

Ok, SS now has proper transparency support. Doesn't work yet, but it's getting there, and it's optional. You can change from "Optimize for Speed" or "Optimize for quality".

Soon as it works, I'll upload :)

Squidge posted on Feb 18 2007 at 10:27 PM said:
Ok, SS now has proper transparency support. Doesn't work yet, but it's getting there, and it's optional. You can change from "Optimize for Speed" or "Optimize for quality".

Soon as it works, I'll upload :)

Cool. I just hope this won't discourage Reesy from doing his though, I like the menu system on that a whole lot better. To bad you guys could'nt work together on this, maybe you guys would get twice as far along. Good luck and thanks.

ok, combined version is available as a "proof of concept", but you shouldn't overwrite your existing version as this one has a lot of bugs.

oh, and a small tip - when you change the rendering engine you *must* load a rom afterwards, otherwise it'll core dump :D However, you can load each game and choose an appropriate rendering engine, and then save that choice, and that engine will always be used from then on for that particular game.

not tried save states, but they probably don't work

Lots of work to do.

Awesome. Been trying to get some downtime from work to test this out and give some feedback, but no luck so far.

Thanks for the progress!

DaveC posted on Feb 18 2007 at 11:54 PM said:
Cool. I just hope this won't discourage Reesy from doing his though, I like the menu system on that a whole lot better. To bad you guys could'nt work together on this, maybe you guys would get twice as far along. Good luck and thanks.

I don't know if you're referring to any particular problem that I don't know, but otherwise I quite often find that two parallell developers tend to spur each other on and sort of leapfrog each other. Particularily if done with an OSS model, since the two developers can always crab ideas and improvements from each other. So:

A good thing you guys aren't working together on this, maybe the logistics would have caused you to not even get half as far along :)

Moxie posted on Feb 26 2007 at 01:40 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 18 2007 at 11:54 PM said:

I don't know if you're referring to any particular problem that I don't know, but otherwise I quite often find that two parallell developers tend to spur each other on and sort of leapfrog each other. Particularily if done with an OSS model, since the two developers can always crab ideas and improvements from each other. So:

A good thing you guys aren't working together on this, maybe the logistics would have caused you to not even get half as far along :)

Or one guy could just say "well if he is working on it, screw it, why waste my time if someone is already doing it". So it depends.

Back