Spotify client

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
I love Spotify.

I'm putting down $400 for a Pandora client with the expected (usual) features.

Does anyone else want to contribute to the pool?

400? Wow, you really like spotify, as me :D

I'll chip in 50$. Maby 50 more if this becomes a thing!

I love Spotify.

That's a generous offer, it would be great to see spotify on Pandora.

It might be worth some additional clarification on the features you want to see, as spotify desktop and spotify mobile have pretty different feature sets.

I love Spotify.

That's a generous offer, it would be great to see spotify on Pandora.

It might be worth some additional clarification on the features you want to see, as spotify desktop and spotify mobile have pretty different feature sets.
Hm, wouldn't it make more sence to have a desktop client? The desktop client have more fetures and it's easier for the eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spotify is great but the premium or paid account at 10 euro/month is a bit to steep for me.

Personally I would be a happy camper if I could use (listen to) grooveshark and soundcloud tracks on my pandora with some application.

Or better yet, a spotisharkcloud combi :D

Spotify is the first service that, for me, transcended the convenience/cost barrier and made obtaining music easier than pirating it. The iPhone versions ability to download and store tunes locally has basically replaced my traditional sync-music-from-my-collection method and the desktop client has allowed me to discover new bands I'd never heard of.

I'd love to see a desktop-esque Spotify on the Pandora. Not even the iPad has such a client yet, which is disappointing. Finding related artists and managing playlists is a pain on the mobile version.

This is definitely worth a bounty!

Am I the only one who prefers just listening to some plain old MP3s with Deadbeef?

Am I the only one who prefers just listening to some plain old MP3s with Deadbeef?
You sir are not alone... however to please the crowd here I started work on compiling / bundling the ncurses one.

Will take a bit though, quite a few dependencies to iron out.

thats not really the point of spotify though. it lets you stream music you down own with either a subscription or with occasional adverts. its a completely different beast. this would be an enormous boon to the community as it would mean that so long as you had a wifi connection (i expect 3G is too expensive) you would have an enormous music library with you at all times. it doesnt have everything as some artists do not want to be available on there, and more underground or rare stuff is unlikely, but it certainly saves on carrying round SD cards full of music!

its also fantastic for discovering music you would otherwise have not really listened to before.

They don't offer it here in the US :(

could anything be done with pandora player? thats basically the same thing

This is a bit from an article that I've found on a norwegian tech site:

The simple reason, as one of our well placed sources close to the company tell us, is this blunt fact: “Warner are being arseholes.” Yes, that’s a direct quote.

In other words, as long as Warner is going act like deuches, there's nothing you can do..

Making good progress getting the ncurses one compiled... this sure is a nasty one.

So far I had to compile about 25 dependencies to get this one right... including nasty libtool tricks and manual libtool script edits.

Its far from a full desktop version, but I hope you guys will appreciate the ncurses version for the time being.

COMPILE DONE: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NOV2UH5J

It's late, I'm ill and I need rest... this is the mere compiled bunch of bullshit, you guys gotta puzzle it together yourself...

Use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to link in the compiled libraries in there.

It seems to connect to the Spotify Server, as I don't have a valid account though I can't tell you guys more...

Other than that I'm also getting a "Error opening terminal: xterm" error on launching despotify.

Changing the TERM shell variable lets you pick different terminal paths, but the error remains the same...

Either way, now relying on you guys to test this and see if we can figure the Terminal Error out, after that it's time for PND packing again.

Not quite a desktop player yet, but maybe worth 20 bucks for a coke and a pack of donuts? :rolleyes:

Bumping for attention. Guys I really can't test this without your aid, Spotify isn't available in my country, and even if it was I'm short on cash.

Bumping for attention. Guys I really can't test this without your aid, Spotify isn't available in my country, and even if it was I'm short on cash.

Thanks so much! I am new to this sort of thing, so I wonder, in such open source projects how does one check that the code is secure? Spotify would be the first "Paid for" service that I would put a username/password into on my Pandora, so I am a bit cautious. How do you guys internally control that sort of thing. When I connected my Pandora up to WiFi the first time I dumped some wireshark logs just to see sort of TCP/UDP connections were made and what sort of info was being sent, but how does it work with this port?

I'd just like a little info about the security model in place before trying. I assume it is just Spotfies own encryption on the disk, with standard Https:// SSL encryption for user authentication? Is this within the T&C of our Spotify accounts`? DId you need to install any certificates or anything like that, or is it all self signed in the source code?

Again, really appreciate the hard work!

Back