Spotify client

You could fork off despotify to give free accounts access, but given that Spotifys main business model is paid mobile users, you would run the risk of pissing them off. From what I remember of despotify that's why they only allow paid accounts.

I imagine the main problem with despotify and free accounts, is that it could probably be much more easily used to create an application to record music right off Spotify. Something that's not quite so big an issue with free accounts. I am, of course, hypothesising, but knowing the record companies usual approach to anything that might burst their DRM bubble, it's quite likely that Spotify are under huge pressure to make it as difficult as possible.

Of course, recording audio right from Spotify is a cakewalk, anyway, but not quite as easy as simple downloading it elsewhere.

If I had a Pandora, I'd be giving this a thorough look. Can't get enough of Spotify, but the UI on my iPhone is awful awful awful and the desktop client wants screen real estate I don't have- I like to change my music often, flipping into related artists all the time, and my playlist organisation is terrible.

Is music streaming too slow for Tor, or could Tor be used with a non-US exit node to access Spotify?

In my opinion, those who impose national boundaries on the fucking internet should be shot dead (after being told their wives and children will find their body in a brothel covered in faeces)

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, those who impose national boundaries on the fucking internet should be shot dead (after being told their wives and children will find their body in a brothel covered in faeces)

Natural boundaries are a hard thing to kill in commerce. It's noted that a large degree of software piracy in the less developed world is down to the western world attempting to charge western world prices for entertainment, pricing it out of the market- simply because if we didn't, anyone could import the cheaper CDs/DVDs to watch here.

The same people who do these barmy things are, of course, responsible for a significant amount of the music content on Spotify, and the evil puppeteers responsible for these kinds of restrictions.

If you can't stop them doing stupid things with tangible media, you're not going to stop them doing stupid things with streaming media. Innovative new companies like Spotify get caught in the crossfire, and can't grow to their full potential.

Unfortunately, in my experience, tor is far too slow for a decent Spotify connection. And I don't believe you can pick and choose your exit node, anyway.

You could probably rent a cloud server in the UK, stick a socks proxy on it, and split the bill with a few close friends.

Adverts on the free version of Spotify are absolutely infuriatingly annoying, though,

I'll give it a try, if I can manage to get some sort of net connection on the pandora - my wifi is a bit borked, so I'll have to try net access over usb or something. Since I'm a bit on the noob side when it comes to mucking about with libraries and stuff - I do something like setting LD_LIBRARY to the lib directory, and then start the despotify executable? Is the stuff in share or include necessary, or can I get by with just the bin and lib directories?

To anyone needing this: it works plug and play with the pandora, no hub needed

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2806154

Back