Spontaneous Gp2x Bricking

Teun posted on Dec 15 2005 at 10:56 PM said:
Does this also happen when the 1.01 bootloader is installed (I have a 2nd generation GP2X)?

I believe it has occurred to at least one person with an updated bootloader, however I don't know whether their machine had been otherwise messed around with or not.

There basically doesn't seem to be any obvious commonality

Last edited by a moderator:
critical posted on Dec 16 2005 at 12:48 PM said:
Teun posted on Dec 15 2005 at 10:56 PM said:
Does this also happen when the 1.01 bootloader is installed (I have a 2nd generation GP2X)?

I believe it has occurred to at least one person with an updated bootloader, however I don't know whether their machine had been otherwise messed around with or not.

There basically doesn't seem to be any obvious commonality

Ok, thanks.

If this happens to me I'm going to be PRETTY upset. Is GPH aware of this bug? Has it been reported? Is it addressed in any of the firmware updates? I really dislike the lack of information coming from GPH. This is a major bug that bricks the unit and if they haven't fixed yet it they need to do it ASAP <_<

Eolair posted on Dec 17 2005 at 12:03 PM said:
If this happens to me I'm going to be PRETTY upset. Is GPH aware of this bug? Has it been reported? Is it addressed in any of the firmware updates? I really dislike the lack of information coming from GPH. This is a major bug that bricks the unit and if they haven't fixed yet it they need to do it ASAP <_<

You're absolutely right. I don't know for sure but GPH is most probably aware of this.
I've been looking into a way to flash the GP2X using JTAG. Here's what I have so far.
-All the buzz is about getting a JTAG cable, however the cable is easy to make. Dygnsys (they build the MMSP2 dev boards
used by GPH) use a macraigor compatible cable (info from their website). Schematics for those are available on the web. The JTAG pinout (on the GP2X ext connector) is available from the wiki. (If it is correct.)
-So we need software. This is far more difficult as the JTAG standard only specifies the connection and a few (2) commands, the other commands are chip specific. Unfortunately the specs are not publicly available. I do not know if the Samsung NAND flash chip has a direct JTAG interface or if the JTAG interface is only connected to the MMSP2 which is then used to access the NAND. On the Dignsys I read that they ship their JTAG probe with GDB. (A GPLed software debugger which
can be used to communicate with some devices via JTAG.) GDB does not support flash chips, but Dignsys said the following to me in an e-mail: "The JTAGProbe is our product that sales with Wiggller Compatible hardware equipment with simple
flash upgrade tool.". I can't really draw a conclusion based on that info about which method to access the NAND is used.
-Dignsys sells their JTAG probe with software for $50,-. However the shipping from Korea is very expensive.
-I've asked GBAX when they will have a JTAG cable (and software) and whether it will be for sale, however they have not yet responded.
-On the GP2X forum I just read the following: "I just wanted to let everyone know that I have spoken with Dynamism and they are getting specifics on stocking JTAG cables. If you are looking for one, Dynamism should have them soon.".
So, I've been thinking about buying a cable from Dignsys. I will definitely do so if I break my GP2x. However I find it rather expensive to do so just to attempt to help the community. (The goal of buying one is just to check out
their software part so people can (possibly) build their own cable and reflash their unit.) Also I don't want to check things with my working unit. I have not yet contacted GPH about this.

What do you think? Any ideas?

I just got my new GP2X, and it did the exact thing as described here, with an empty SD card (Panasonic 128MB).
When I switched the device on for the first time (with nothing in the card slot), everything was fine.
Then, the second time(!), I switched it on with an empty SD card in the slot, and it started up with the "uploading firmware" screen and bricked itself.
I couldn't even use the damn thing at all before it died.....

I love playing russian roulette. Now I can do it every time I turn on my GP2X ;)

Eolair posted on Dec 19 2005 at 02:29 PM said:
I love playing russian roulette. Now I can do it every time I turn on my GP2X ;)

I know.... I'm even considering not using my unit until there's a fix.

SiN posted on Dec 19 2005 at 02:39 AM said:
Eolair posted on Dec 19 2005 at 02:29 PM said:

I know.... I'm even considering not using my unit until there's a fix.
I'm tempted not to use mine when it gets returned in a couple of weeks' time. Sending the thing insured delivery every time it goes wrong wouldn't be the cheapest hobby to have.

The only thing that stops me thinking that I'd keep it switched off for now is that other people are obviously able to use theirs without that problem at least. I feel really sorry for the person that switched theirs on for the second time (kwayk) and had it brick - I would have just asked for my money back.

As it is, mine worked for a few days, and I had a chance to see how good the console is when it's working, which is why I'm being more tolerant of the firmware quality issue at present. That, plus all of the exceptionally good-looking work that other developers have produced since my unit's untimely death.

Patience!

So, What IS the point in firmware upgrading, if it just shits up your 2X 99.9% of the time?

Mines going to be in the update firmware batch, I hope it doesnt happen to me, I'm going to be so bummed and mad if I have to send it back the day I get it.

Snagzy posted on Dec 19 2005 at 02:02 PM said:
So, What IS the point in firmware upgrading, if it just shits up your 2X 99.9% of the time?

Firmware upgrading can provide new functionality. I don't have a problem with that.

However, some of us have experienced issues with it updating when it shouldn't (when there's nothing to update it with, for example).

There is good news here though...

New firmware is on its way, and they claim to have sorted out the firmware update issue:

"Ausserdem wird die Update-Methode geändert, da es mit der bisherigen Probleme gab (ach)"

English translation from google:

"In addition the update method is changed, since it gave with the past problems (oh sign)"

Hurrah :)

Yay. I wont upgrade to that when I get my GP2x yet though. Atleast until I know it's safe. My life seems to operate on something called 'Sod's Law' :\

Curious, has anyone who has had their unit die this way recieved a replacement or had it repaired yet?

-OCA|

Curious, has anyone who has had their unit die this way recieved a replacement or had it repaired yet?

-OCA|
My GP2X died like that, and it was sent back to Gbax in the first week of December. Couldn't get the refund out of them though. They claimed that it was processed, but no money ever hit my card. The matter is currently with my credit card company's retail dispute department.

-OCA|

I sent mine back in those circumstances, and it was received by them on December 16th. They said then that it would take a further 1-2 weeks to get the JTAG cable. Funnily enough, I mailed them this afternoon to ask for a status report, but haven't heard back yet.

I imagine it having been over Christmas and everything that stuff will have been delayed, but I'd like to know when I can expect to get my unit back, or indeed a replacement one.

I'm going to give them a while longer yet before rattling any sabres - I'm sure they're doing their best.

wow I'm kind of hesitating buying one of those now :(
btw it's clearly a big issue. It amazes me that people here seem to get more angry about the joystick behaviour than about these self bricking problems :D
I don't even understand if it's firmware related ... Does GPH aware about this problem ? May be happen to anybody ? Is it corrected in last firmware versions ? If yes, why the hell nobody explains that firmware upgrading is necessary to avoid this kind of problem ?

wow I'm kind of hesitating buying one of those now :(
btw it's clearly a big issue. It amazes me that people here seem to get more angry about the joystick behaviour than about these self bricking problems :D
I don't even understand if it's firmware related ... Does GPH aware about this problem ? May be happen to anybody ? Is it corrected in last firmware versions ? If yes, why the hell nobody explains that firmware upgrading is necessary to avoid this kind of problem ?

That's because the joystick thing is more widespread whereas only some of us have fallen victim to the spontaneous bricking issue.

The change in firmware update strategy in the new firmware should prevent the spontaneous bricking from occuring again (I'm led to believe - clearly I've not been able to look at it yet).

BTW, I just got a reply from gbax saying I should get a unit back in the coming week. :)

Just had my GP2x 'brick' for no apparent reason. I've e-mailed gp2x.co.uk (sales@cdworld.co.uk) for help, but no reply as of yet.

Critical - did you get your GP2x returned?

LinuxGuy

Back