Gp2x Firmware Upgrade Disaster

dabogsta

Still Fresh
I upgraded my firmware to 1.2.0, everything went fine, except my 1 gig cards no longer were recognized. I then updated using a 128 mB card to 1.2.1 using Robsters alternative updater. the image updating worked great and i rebooted into the gp2x menu. I then ran the .gpu patch through the utility menu. The patch said it worked then hung on the "complete, please wait" screen. I let it sit there for at least 30 min. then rebooted. Now my GP2X doesn't get past the green screen. Is there anyway to fix this problem? would updating to 1.3.0 when it is released even work? would that even fix the problem? Is there a way to fix this without a serial cable? If not, is there a way to fabricate my own serial cable? I am seriously dismayed by my bricked GP2X, so anyhelp would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks much.

If you have a card that works with the standard upgrading (upgrades when gp2x boots up) then you should be able to put 1.30 (or whatever you want) onto that card, stick it in your gp2x, and turn the gp2x on. However, if you don't, I think that you have to get a compatable card, send your gp2x back, or get a serial cable.

Chill, guys.

Looks like the patch somehow corrupted the Linux Filesystem.
But you can easily restore this using DJWillis unbricker guide (the gp2xfiles.img will be enough).

Go here for guide and files

You don't NEED a serial cable, it also works without, but you cannot see what it's doing.

Did this four times already, without any problems.

Just keep in mind that
1) It can take up to 2 minutes until the "Firmware Upgrading" screen appears
2) It can take up to an hour until the flash is complete.

So: Use fresh batteries and be PATIENT!

And don't worry: As long as the black gp2x Logo comes up and you have an SMC which is capable of upgrading, you can always fix your gp2x :)

Thanks alot EvilDragon, thats great to hear. I thought for a second recovering my precious GP2X was going to be a long drawn out process. Its good to know i can fix it without a serial cable. And thanks alot Wobedraggled and TelcoLou for expressing your dismay over the disrespectful comment, some people are just mean :(
Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pwnt.

Real classy.

I just got mine a few days ago, so I'm the last one to ask about it, I just had to remark at asshat's comment .

Ditto. Fucking prick. I hope yours bricks too :angry:
Why thank you, thank you very much. When It does, youll be the first one to hear about it.
on the rag today? try to be nicer. Im sure dabogsta isnt thrilled about his little mishap ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
In the readme for the alternative update it says that it won't boot up with a card you didn't update with. I have a 32 meg card and a 2GB card. I had 1.0.1 so I updated to 1.2.1 with the 32 meg card, and it boots fine with that. My 2GB won't allow it to boot however, I have to insert it after it's booted. Did you try to start it up without a card in it? when I have my 2GB card in it I eject it, then turn it on, wait for it to boot all the way, then insert it again, and it works great. Not sure if this is your problem, just something that affects me.

Thanx,
Stan

Back