Speed Of Amstrad Cpc Emulator

blakespot

Still Fresh
Is it me or is Amstrad CPC: GP2X-CAP32 pretty slow? I've never used a real CPC so I can't say for sure, but...

(Loaded it as it seems CPC has the best version of Cauldron vs. Speccy and C64...)

blakespot

blakespot said:
Is it me or is Amstrad CPC: GP2X-CAP32 pretty slow?
Yeah, in some way, its normal... Caprice is very CPU hungry... It's very accurate and needs many CPU for rendering the grapichs in correct timings (It nearly emulates the catode tube ray tracing...) The only way is optimizing and/or "hacking" the emulation of video with the fewer impact in compatibility ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
KaosOverride said:
blakespot said:
Is it me or is Amstrad CPC: GP2X-CAP32 pretty slow?
Yeah, in some way, its normal... Caprice is very CPU hungry... It's very accurate and needs many CPU for rendering the grapichs in correct timings (It nearly emulates the catode tube ray tracing...) The only way is optimizing and/or "hacking" the emulation of video with the fewer impact in compatibility ;)

I guess Caprice isn't using an ARM-asm CPU core for the CPC?

blakespot

I have made some profiling into Caprice and the problem is the CRTC video chip, it eats a 30% of the CPU, and the Z80 is below 15% I have made some little tries looking after DrZ80 to fit Caprice, but I have that the Z80 code modifies many other parts of the CPC directly, it has many work for modifications and integrate that extra funcions into DrZ80, or redesign the emu to generate the propper signals in the Z80 core and the rest of hardware responding as the real hardware to that signals. It's not an easy task... It's not easy for me almost... :( (I hace no idea of ARM asm)

On the other hand, the CRTC could be emulated into the ARM940T (just share in memory the CRTC structure and auxiliar variables in common, and migrate the code of CRTC.C with a propper dualCPU management :)

In my case, first I want to make CapriceGP2x stable, because it has some hang issues... :(

KaosOverride said:
In my case, first I want to make CapriceGP2x stable, because it has some hang issues... :(
Well, of course we all appreciate that it - like any of these emulators - exists in any functional form. Strong work.

blakespot

Back