Gp2x-cap32: Amstrad Cpc Emulator For Gp2x V1.0.1

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
gp2xcap32-snap-v101.jpg

Caprice32 is one of the best emulator of the Amstrad CPC home computer series
running on Windows and Unix, written by Ulrich Doewich.
This emulator faithfully imitates the CPC464, CPC664, and CPC6128 models
(see caprice32 project)

Here is a port on GP2X of the version 4.2.0 that i had previously ported to PSP.
[cut]
How to use it ? Everything is in the README file.

This package is under GPL Copyright, read COPYING file for more information about it.

Here is a full working binary version :
cap32-v1.0.1-bin.zip

Enjoy,

Zx.[/cut]

Wow o_O Thank you very much :)
I am enjoying Caprice2X from Kaosoverride but have some random lock ups tha are killing me :D

I will try this right now :)

Thank you ^_^

FINALLY an Amstrad emulator than can works with disk images!
Just a little optimisation needed.
Thank you ZX-81

The keyboard system is a little cumbersome though. It would be better if there was just a standard keyboard, like in other emulators.
And how do you get the " character to run the files from the disk? I had to go into the keyboard setup and assign it to the A button as I couldn't find it anywhere else.

White Demon said:
Thank you ZX-81
Yes, the speed is not as good as it should be ...

White Demon said:
The keyboard system is a little cumbersome though. It would be better if there was just a standard keyboard, like in other emulators.
And how do you get the " character to run the files from the disk? I had to go into the keyboard setup and assign it to the A button as I couldn't find it anywhere else.
You have to use the Rigth and Left Trigger to toggle between keyboards ;) ... For a " you have to press RTrigger + Left + Y ...

Last edited by a moderator:
lol :D It's like waiting for buses. Havnt seen any signs of a good cpc emulator since I got my gp2x last june and then two turn up at once in one month.

Have you tried the new emulator from kaosoverride? It is a lot better now. I loaded up gauntlet, herberts dummy run and sentinel and they were perfect. The only problem I found was trying out some commands like 'mode 2' which corrupted the screen. Could still get to the menu.

Only other issue is I didnt actually put any thought into was the lack of keyboard. doh!

I think it's safe to add this link as the games and roms have been released for free but still under copyright
http://tacgr.emuunlim.com/

White Demon said:

You just have to get use to it! After some training, you can type way faster than with standard virtual keyboard.

I think the keyboard managment in ZX-81's emulator is really great (I only tried Thom, but I guess it is similar for all of them), I especially like the fact that you can make specific key configuration for each game. I wish this feature were available for Outcast and UAE4all...

White Demon said:
Thank you ZX-81

That´s not true, from some weeks ago we have Caprice2X from Kaosoverride with dsk support and keyboard support. :)
I like very much Caprice2X from Kaos but it suffers an annoying random lock ups.

hal9000 said:
You just have to get use to it! After some training, you can type way faster than with standard virtual keyboard.
I'd find that hard to believe with the GP2X's joystick. I find that after every letter entered, I actually have to let go of the jostick then push in the direction of the next letter, as trying to go straight to where the next letter is is almost impossible, especially when trying to go to one of the diagonals.

Rivroner said:
That´s not true, from some weeks ago we have Caprice2X from Kaosoverride with dsk support and keyboard support. :)
Really? I must have missed that *goes off to investigate*

EDIT: ugh, that has no on-screen keyboard. At least this one has at least some sort of keyboard.

After testing the emulator i must say that is very slow.At same clockspeed (260 mhz) Caprice2X (Kaosoverride port) is running at frameskip 0 and 100% speed in 95% of the games.

With this emulator you get like 50-70 % of speed even if you set frameskip 2.

The emulator in general is like very bright.I need a sunglasses for this :D

Emulator is hanging when you try to go out.

Rivroner said:
After testing the emulator i must say that is very slow.At same clockspeed (260 mhz) Caprice2X (Kaosoverride port) is running at frameskip 0 and 100% speed in 95% of the games.

With this emulator you get like 50-70 % of speed even if you set frameskip 2.

The emulator in general is like very bright.I need a sunglasses for this :D

Emulator is hanging when you try to go out.
Yes you're perfectly right, this version 25% slower than Caprice2X ... It was a first version, and pspcap32 (PSP version) was good enough for the PSP. I will work on it to reach the fullspeed on GP2x :)

zx-81 said:
Yes you're perfectly right, this version 25% slower than Caprice2X ... It was a first version, and pspcap32 (PSP version) was good enough for the PSP. I will work on it to reach the fullspeed on GP2x :)
Thank you :)

A brightness option and speed optimization and this will be very good :)

I hope we will finally see a good and fast CPC emulator in GP2X. It's what always bugged me even for the GP32. In GP32 we had quite fast emulators for gameboy, NES, Master System even Mega Drive and also for C64, Spectrum and Atari800XL but never for a CPC which is not harder to do than the rest! I bittered the fact that there was never a suitable CPC emulator here (the sound and speed was slower than normal in pituka). And when I got my GP2X I said "Finally, we will see a 100% running CPC emulator now!".

But we haven't yet! Maybe that's because Caprice32 or Winape32 and some other CPC emulators where the ports are based, are quite slower on my PC than similar emuls of Speccy or C64 which also offer sources for porting. I wish I was not in the army now and free so that I could try to optimize bits or start a new port or entirely new project. I want my beloved computer emulated properly and fast in GP32 and GP2X!!! :unsure:

Optimus said:
I hope we will finally see a good and fast CPC emulator in GP2X. It's what always bugged me even for the GP32. In GP32 we had quite fast emulators for gameboy, NES, Master System even Mega Drive and also for C64, Spectrum and Atari800XL but never for a CPC which is not harder to do than the rest! I bittered the fact that there was never a suitable CPC emulator here (the sound and speed was slower than normal in pituka). And when I got my GP2X I said "Finally, we will see a 100% running CPC emulator now!".

But we haven't yet! Maybe that's because Caprice32 or Winape32 and some other CPC emulators where the ports are based, are quite slower on my PC than similar emuls of Speccy or C64 which also offer sources for porting. I wish I was not in the army now and free so that I could try to optimize bits or start a new port or entirely new project. I want my beloved computer emulated properly and fast in GP32 and GP2X!!! :unsure:
With Zx + Kaosoverride working on it, I'm sure this will be just a matter of time.

Optimus, if you can OC to 250 at least in Caprice2X you can play 95% of the games to 100% with frameskip 0 :)
In emulation section you can get the last version.

Its a great emu so far, even though its slow, but hey, its a first release. :)

What I am missing: An option for green monitor support. I don't know if the Amstrads had this, but some Schneider CPCs didn't have colour monitor, but greenish monitors.

Other than that, very cool.

----
Persian (staring at all of ZX 81s recent releases): This is madness!!!
Leonidas : This is ZX 81!!!! *kick*

MisterBrisby said:
Its a great emu so far, even though its slow, but hey, its a first release. :)

What I am missing: An option for green monitor support. I don't know if the Amstrads had this, but some Schneider CPCs didn't have colour monitor, but greenish monitors.

Other than that, very cool.

----
Persian (staring at all of ZX 81s recent releases): This is madness!!!
Leonidas : This is ZX 81!!!! *kick*
Caprice2X have that option.

That was the last thing i am gonna say about Caprice2X :rolleyes: :lol:

Rivroner said:
Caprice2X have that option.
That was the last thing i am gonna say about Caprice2X :rolleyes: :lol:
Having a deep look to the code of Caprice2X, it's a port of an old version of Caprice32 compared to gp2x-cap32, so the game compatibility won't be as good as new version, but may be good enough for most of the games.

The sound part doesn't use intermediate buffer (as i do) and it's faster but sound "glitch" can appear.
You said it's 100% with 0 frameskip, that's not true because the frameskip number displayed by caprice2x is not realistic, since only half screen is displayed alternatively (it appears clearly on several games).
On the other hand, speed constants weren't the same between mine and Kaosoverride's version, so the emulation is not as realistic as it could be (it's like we had an overclocked Z80 :D ), but yes it's a way faster (so i will do the same :)).

What's Kaosoverride has done is very nice ! And i've ported this one to gp2x only because CPC is my favorite computer, and because i had already ported it to PSP, so it took me small effort to port it on gp2x ... but for now, Kaosoverride version is a way better :D

Back