Special Characters in Password

n2burns

Still Fresh
Hi All,

I just got my pandora and am super excited to use it. The problem is, I can't login. On the initial setup, I used a password containing a special character (fn+letter) and it worked just fine. However, on the login screen, this character will not work. fn+letter does nothing. I've tested this on all the special characters that use fn and it's pretty hit and miss. The characters ;/\'-+=`() work just fine while :confused:#|$€"‘£¥@!_ do nothing.

Sorry if this has already been posted on the boards somewhere, I searched and didn't find anything.

Hi All,

I just got my pandora and am super excited to use it. The problem is, I can't login. On the initial setup, I used a password containing a special character (fn+letter) and it worked just fine. However, on the login screen, this character will not work. fn+letter does nothing. I've tested this on all the special characters that use fn and it's pretty hit and miss. The characters ;/\'-+=`() work just fine while :confused:#|$€"‘£¥@!_ do nothing.

Sorry if this has already been posted on the boards somewhere, I searched and didn't find anything.
You may need to reflash,

can you type the char into the username . maybe you could copy/paste it down to pass,

or maybe plug in a usb keyboard to get you past the login (has to be usb 2 or use a hub) other than that im all out of idea except flashing

Hi All,

You may need to reflash,

can you type the char into the username . maybe you could copy/paste it down to pass,

or maybe plug in a usb keyboard to get you past the login (has to be usb 2 or use a hub) other than that im all out of idea except flashing

The second option worked for me - using an external keyboard. However, this isn't a permanent fix so I'm currently auto-logging in (I know I could change my password, but I'd rather not). If flashing to a newer version offers a permanent fix, I definitely will.

The second option worked for me - using an external keyboard. However, this isn't a permanent fix so I'm currently auto-logging in (I know I could change my password, but I'd rather not). If flashing to a newer version offers a permanent fix, I definitely will.
A secure password on the pandora is fairly pointless, i have an SD card which would let me copy your NAND, or replace your /etc/passwd with my own. Physical access and a little knowledge is all you need. (unless you encrypt the nand)

Last edited by a moderator:
A secure password on the pandora is fairly pointless, i have an SD card which would let me copy your NAND, or replace your /etc/passwd with my own. Physical access and a little knowledge is all you need. (unless you encrypt the nand)

I realize having a strong password won't do much, but it is convenient if I can use the same password as on my other linux boxes so I don't get confused when running sudo commands.

It's a bit odd that the login screen doesn't accept certain characters. Of course my password works fine once logged in.

I noticed that too. I had to figure out how toreflash it before even logging in the first time :\

The screen shouldn't accept characters you can't type, unless of course they fix the password screen to accept all characters. Thanks for getting a list of affected characters!

Put it up on the bugtracker: bugs.openpandora.org

Put it up on the bugtracker: bugs.openpandora.org
That's probably a good idea, but when I try to register, I get

Code:
Fatal error:

Uncaught Error of type [Swift_FileException] with message [Disk Caching failed. Tried to write to file at [/srv/www/vhosts/openpandora.org/domains/bugs.openpandora.org/tmp/8dc3399b4876fca1befbc010a473d0f3body] but failed. Check the permissions, or don't use disk caching.]

@0 require_once() in /srv/www/vhosts/openpandora.org/domains/bugs.openpandora.org/httpdocs/index.php on line 149

@1 Notifications::Create() in /srv/www/vhosts/openpandora.org/domains/bugs.openpandora.org/httpdocs/includes/modify.inc.php on line 330

@2 Notifications::SendEmail() in /srv/www/vhosts/openpandora.org/domains/bugs.openpandora.org/httpdocs/includes/class.notify.php on line 39

@3 Swift_Message_Mime::build() in /srv/www/vhosts/openpandora.org/domains/bugs.openpandora.org/httpdocs/includes/class.notify.php on line 311

in /srv/www/vhosts/openpandora.org/domains/bugs.openpandora.org/httpdocs/includes/external/swift-mailer/Swift/Errors.php on line 99

So something's wrong with the bug tracking site. Hmm, there's a joke in there somewhere ...

So something's wrong with the bug tracking site. Hmm, there's a joke in there somewhere ...

ED upgraded his server to a new Debian version, that somehow changed a lot of file permissions - that's why the german forums were down too. I'm sure he'll fix it soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a usability problem... I had to reflash since I don't have a USB keyboard that would work on the first login.

On the plus side, reflashing is a snap, so hooray for easy fixes. :D

Back