Speccy Emulators

wildcat

How do you get these to load up games? I have tried both SpeccyKal and GPSpeccy and while I can load up the emulators, how do I select a game?

Quote from readme file of Speccyal K

Usage
-----

Put the roms (128-0.rom and 128-1.rom) and speccyal.fxe in \GPMM.

The snapshots files can be anywhere on the SMC.

Keys :

- L : 'shift' key
- L + R : Options screen ("Select" button to save on SMC, "B" button to quit without saving)
- R : File browser
- START: reset machine
- SELECT: virtual keyboard ("B" button to choose a key). Note: if you want to load a .TAP file from 48k basic, press
'J' (LOAD), then " and then ", and finally enter ('en' in the virtual keyboard).
- A : fire (can be customized in the options menu)
- B : ENTER (can be customized in the options menu)
- L + SELECT : Save game (will be automatically loaded the next time this game is selected)

I think there are 2 possibilities here: Prepare to be either helped or patronised :)

1. Some snapshots are 128K, most are 48K

You need to select the right type of speccy to get your snapshot to work.
I think speccyalK naturally boots up in 128K mode so if you are trying to use the more common 48K snapshots then nothing will happen.

Try going to the menu (L + R) and select 48K speccy.
Close the menu by hitting select.
Now press start to reset the emulator in 48K mode.
NOW press R to load your snapshot - hopefully it should load then!

2.Are you using .tap files?

You see the spectrum didn't have ROMS. Everything used to load off tapes so if you are using a tape file then you have to type the right things into the spectrum to make it load. (similar to the C64 emulator I think)

On a spectrum you can load games in 128K mode by just pressing enter (Both emulators have a virtual keyboard to let you do this)

48K mode is a little more complicated: you need to type in load"".

You do this by typing:

j p+symbolshift p+symbol shift.

I hope one of these suggestions is helpful.

I think speccyalK naturally boots up in 128K mode so if you are trying to use the more common 48K snapshots then nothing will happen.

I have no problems running 48k stuff

To the original poster

Are you sure you've put the 128.roms in the right place?
Are you sure your running the right type of files?
Have you tried different games?

Back