Spare parts (2010-10-21)

T.Willey:

Dpad and buttons come with the case + parts.

So craig will you let us buy a 1nub pandora from you if we want one?

Last edited by a moderator:
will the omap be available on that list at some point in time?

Hi,

I'm interested in the Digial controls. I've never heard of them before, or is it a typo. Also can you please stipulate which November you are really talking about 2010, 2011 or 3000 as I've fallen for this before. Finally where's the batch 2 count at. I already cancelled my Batch 1 (3900-4000 queue position) order and am thinking of ordering again now that "mass production" is about to start just want to know how many places I've lost.

Cheers

Digital controls probably refers to the d-pad, game buttons, and (to a lesser extent) keyboard.

will the omap be available on that list at some point in time?
It is a general availability part (I'm not sure whether its CBC or CBB package now, but that doesnt really matter for now).

http://se.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=OMAP3530DCBBvirtualkey59500000virtualkey595-OMAP3530DCBB

But I'm going to hazard a guess that nobody normal (without big time SMD gear, eg. what is needed to solder BGAs etc) is going to be able to change it anytime soon. Its BGA on top of the board, on top of which is an another BGA part: the memory chip (NAND and RAM in a single chip) (== PoP - Package on Package).

Last edited by a moderator:
is it me or are some things like the full case damn cheap and some other things like the stylus quite expensive?

I was thinking the same about the stylus... US$8? What? But meh, it does look like a good stylus - but if you lose it, just use a DS stylus (uh $8 for 10).

It is a general availability part (I'm not sure whether its CBC or CBB package now, but that doesnt really matter for now).

http://se.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=OMAP3530DCBBvirtualkey59500000virtualkey595-OMAP3530DCBB

But I'm going to hazard a guess that nobody normal (without big time SMD gear, eg. what is needed to solder BGAs etc) is going to be able to change it anytime soon. Its BGA on top of the board, on top of which is an another BGA part: the memory chip (NAND and RAM in a single chip) (== PoP - Package on Package).
i was referring to the whole pandora "motherboard" in case something goes wrong with our and want to switch it ourselves

i was referring to the whole pandora "motherboard" in case something goes wrong with our and want to switch it ourselves
In short: I think they will when there are boards to spare.

My first impression to this was "w00t you want them to sell the essence/heart/soul/brain/"what makes the pandora a pandora" of a pandora?". Then I thought that it would be very wrong to be able to boy all parts of a pandora as "spare parts" (delivered ASAP) when there's like 4000 people waiting in the line for theirs :p

I think there will someday be motherboards for sale, but I think that day is quite far away in the future, in the time when you can order a pandora (instead of a pre-order) and get it delivered in two weeks.

Also, I know there's a special tool for coiling and/or inserting the LCD cable. Is this something we can recreate at home if it's well described and/or photographed?

Finally, I know you were pretty insistent that the the hinge had to be replaced with the LCD cable. Does the hinge just refer to metal pin and plastic that fits into it (It's been a while since I looked at it, so I may be misremembering here)?

Okay, so I got one question answered. But I'm still not clear on the situation with the LCD cable. I was told that to replace the LCD cable I would need a special tool, and to break apart the hinge (which doesn't go back together). So would the $4 LCD cable be useless without also buying the $30 case? And even then, what good would it be without the installation tool?

I got my Pandora back a couple of days ago. It's working great, but I want to be ready in case the same thing happens again. But I can't buy a replacement cable until I'm sure I'll be able to properly install it.

Craigix, what about nubs?

If the nubs are to become available (which they most likely would), They would first have to have all the batch 1 and most likely batch 2 Pandoras fitted with them first. Or else some people will get rather angry that nubs are being sold off and delaying the production of their own Pandoras. I would most likely be one of those people.

If the nubs are to become available (which they most likely would), They would first have to have all the batch 1 and most likely batch 2 Pandoras fitted with them first. Or else some people will get rather angry that nubs are being sold off and delaying the production of their own Pandoras. I would most likely be one of those people.
Not necessarily true. I thought I had read that building the nubs only takes a couple of days (which might be possible if the whole process is automated). Once the board company has more than 6000 nubs, it shouldn't matter where new nubs go. It will take a while to fit those nubs to boards (more than a few days), so spare nubs might exist before a box of finished boards makes it to Craig.

Well I've had my Pandora back all of three days and it's broke again. This time it's the left nub. It no longer re-centers itself, so if I move it in any direction it goes sailing off that way at warp speed until hits the edge of the screen.

So I guess I'll be getting at least one replacement nub as soon as they become available. I won't be getting a spare LCD cable, though, since I can't seem to get any answers about installation.

Well I've had my Pandora back all of three days and it's broke again. This time it's the left nub. It no longer re-centers itself, so if I move it in any direction it goes sailing off that way at warp speed until hits the edge of the screen.

So I guess I'll be getting at least one replacement nub as soon as they become available. I won't be getting a spare LCD cable, though, since I can't seem to get any answers about installation.
ED has just posted a status update which mentions the nubs. I'd consider waiting for the socket version (yet to be designed so not available soon).

I'm sure Craig will sell the nubs as soon as he has stock. First "test" batch of production nubs happens Monday - woo!

Back