space exploration/trading game?

KrazyKain

Still Fresh
I'm wondering if theres any good space traders out there on the pandora, I can't imagine vega strike getting ported over but Oolite should be a perfect candidate...

however, it has not been done yet, so that leaves me with a simple question...

any good ones playable through emulators/dosbox?

I just want to get lost for hours exploring space making some money on a few milkruns and taking down space pirates.

I hope to see Elite 2 ported over someday.

Enjoy Elite 1 in the meantime:

ArcElite2.gif

Do we have an Archimedes emu?

I'm wondering if theres any good space traders out there on the pandora, I can't imagine vega strike getting ported over but Oolite should be a perfect candidate...

however, it has not been done yet, so that leaves me with a simple question...

any good ones playable through emulators/dosbox?

I just want to get lost for hours exploring space making some money on a few milkruns and taking down space pirates.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=uqm-062

Few finer.

not entirely sure ur quan masters is what i'm looking for but i'm willing to give it a try, don't suppose theres a legal way to get the the data files online?

Don't suppose there's any way to get Wing Commander: Privateer ported over? Sounds exactly like what OP is looking for, but I have no idea if the source was ever released.

For Privateer Gemini Gold, we first need a port of Vega Strike, making it openGL ES compatible.

It would allow quite a few games made with this engine to be ported to the Pandora.

One great open source Space Sim I dream to be able to play on the Pandora is Freespace 2 SCP.

But it would need a heavy rework of the code.

Last edited by a moderator:
One great open source Space Sim I dream to be able to play on the Pandora is Freespace 2 SCP.

But it would need a heavy rework of the code.

I'd be so in interested in this. Using the retail graphics (as opposed to some of the latter higher resolution textures and models) the Pandora seems theoretically to have the horsepower to run it. The code is already portable (it runs on PowerPC for example) but the killer (as ever) is the OpenGL -> OpenGL ES conversion. Given the controls on the Pandora this would be a killer app though :)

I totally agree with you.

I tried to talk on their forum (Freespace 2 SCP) about porting it to the Pandora and so to openGL ES.

But it seems the whole graphic engine is quite tricky and complex.

Too bad I'm a dumb coder…

I really have to re-learn C/C++ and learn openGL and its ES variant
sad.gif

(I think it's already listed in the port request page of the wiki… I may even be the one that made the request
rolleyes.gif
)

That game looks BADASS! Kinda like a version of EVE

if you want really badass play X:3, unfortunately there's no chance of that on a pandora, and even if there was the interface wouldn't work at all, far too much information for a small screen

if you happen to have a copy somewhere, spacerogue(1989 - dos, maybe others but haven't looked) is half decent, not elite by a long shot, but it's still pretty cool

Sweet find, but there's no way that's legal, is it? They've gotta be banking on the fact that it's an old game and not worth suing over. I mean, if someone made an open-source copy of New Super Mario Bros and distributed it for free, Nintendo would have a fit.
It most definitely is legal, provided they don't use any of the original code or data. If you paint a picture of a horse, and then I see that and paint a picture of a similar horse, we've both created two different works.

There have been a lot of remakes over the years, nearly all of which have been entirely legal. Some have gotten into a bit of legitimate trouble over trademarks, but just changing the name (see the unofficial KQ9:TSL for an example of trademark problems) makes those go away. Others are questionably legal because they rely on hacks, things like complete remakes of SNES games: see Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echos for example. Crimson Echos was recently leaked to the internet, by the way, against Square-Enix's wishes. I suggest you check it out.

Finally, a lot of remakes are in no way infringing upon the original: they use none of the original data, none of the original code, and are frequently mere homages to the original. Many of these get released, but a disturbing number are hit with cease and desist letters which, if contested, would not hold up. See the recent Streets of Rage Remake for an example. Unfortunately, big companies with lots of money can afford to draft up CnD letters while little teams of fans can't usually afford to fight them.

The hope with the Privateer remake is not that it is too small to sue over, for it is not in any way illegal. Maybe they have to change the name, but everyone will know it's a Privateer homage anyway. No, the hope is that Origin (or whoever currently owns the rights) doesn't send a contestable CnD which they can't afford to contest.

Colony wars is nice, but I have grown up on Descent, Wing Commander and Freespace space sims.

(I bought my very first joystick - a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D pro, probably the most complete joystick at the time - to enjoy fully those games
laugh.gif
)

So having all of those running on the pandora would be complete bliss.

Descent is done, thanks to Pickle, Wing Commander could only "revive" through the various Vega Strike mods and Freespace 2 engine could be ported to play Freespace 1&2 and quite a few great mods.

You could do a lot worse for a 3D space sim that the Colonoy Wars games on PSX. I haven't tried the third one but these both play really well on the Pandora.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KmsQ8uqPYww?feature=oembed
those are great space combat games but i'm looking for an open ended trader. and Apparently the original Elite is out on the Nes, and works really well, best of all, the Ian Bell (one of the creators) hosts the rom on his website, so it's legal :D

Back