Sound Quality And Ear Buds

christo930

I am considering an upgrade of my gp2x and I was wondering about the sound quality of the Wiz and the quality of the earbuds or earphones than come with it. I have a decent pair that came with my laptop, but they are rather big for my ears. I assume the wiz comes with earbuds, but are they any good? I'm not sure where my GP2X box is and I don't even remember if it came with earbuds. If it did, and they do include them with the wiz, are they the same? If they are and it did come with them, I can hunt the box down and check them out. Does it use the standard 1/8 jack that every Walkman comes with?
How long does the battery run the mp3 player between charges? Does it heat up the way the gp2x does? For some reason the gp2x batteries heat up when playing the mp3 player, I don't know why. The draw for the mp3 player shouldn't be very much. Perhaps it's because of the length of time that it's running combined with a low battery level or something?

Thanks.

Chris

My wiz never came with earphones. If they did they'd probably be not very good.

The wiz doesn't come with any earbuds, which isn't all that bad since they would probably be trash. It also uses the standard 3.5 audio jack.
Ive been using my wiz as a primary mp3 player for maybe a month now and it works pretty good. I use one of the actual music applications because it allows the use of FLAC, which is what I have every song of mine encoded to. Sadly, the sounds quality is a little flat, and it doesnt get too loud, the quality is pretty good, but its very flat, meaning it needs an equalizer or something.

I use some alienskull headphones, they were cheap and are pretty good. They have a volume slider on the cord so I don't need to pull the wiz out to change the volume. The music is pretty quite as well, which sucks, but I found some program that allows me to volumize the music different.

Also, the battery is pretty good when that is all you do, whether you use an app or not doesn't really change it. I can go to class for and turn the thing on at 720 AM and still be listening to it at 3PM, and that only shutting it off very few times. Ill have it off for maybe 40 total during the day, since I have long hair I can have earbuds through my shirt and nobody will ever notice me listeing to it.

trentg said:
My wiz never came with earphones. If they did they'd probably be not very good.

I hunted down the box of my gp2x and it did come with earbuds, but I haven't check them out yet. At home I use a pretty good quality set of headphones, the old fashion style with leather-foam ear pad and it's really hard to get the same quality with buds. So far I am leaning towards the dingoo unless I can find a wiz used for about the same price as a dingoo since the Wiz (from what I have seen) isn't really any more useful than the gp2x which I already have. How long does it take to charge the wiz? Can it be charged with a mac? Also, I have very poor hearing in my left ear, is it possible to change balance on the wiz?

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
It can take a few hours to charge a wiz.. not sure the exact time. I don't think the built in audio application allows setting a balance. I just ordered these headphones last night, I hope they're worth it.

I use my wiz as my primary mp3 player as well. Use GMU to play my music. It isn't half bad, and I use a pair of these and think they sound great

Was the low volume problem ever fixed with GMU? I've been using OMMPC and like it quite a bit, though I wish it had an equalizer. One of the (many) nice things about Rockbox is that you can take a lousy MP3 player and make it sound half-way decent with all the various customizable audio settings.

trentg said:
It can take a few hours to charge a wiz.. not sure the exact time. I don't think the built in audio application allows setting a balance. I just ordered these headphones last night, I hope they're worth it.

I was looking at them, but there was no price. How much are they?
My friend just bought a nice pair of Sony ear buds for $50, but they sound incredible. They have a rubber boot that seals them nicely in your ear. They have great bass, great dynamic range, but he says the treble isn't as good as his old ones. Personally, I think it's his age. The first part of hearing loss is always at the high end of the frequency range.

Chris

PS.. The sound of the gp2x buds could be better, but overall they aren't as bad as I thought they would be. They don't stack up against my big leather headphones I use at home, but for the price, they can't be beat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back