Sony Vaio

yaustar posted on Sep 26 2004 at 11:21 PM said:
you are not going to get anything impressive with £300 for a laptop... I would say you need at least £500-£800 and even then you really have to look around...

What is your minimum spec you would like....
im just after something with a ok/good graphics chip, 16mb 3d card or higher but im not sure if I will find anything like that

Sounds like you were at a Mock Auction, these things are notoriously dodgy and spring up all over the country. They offer you ridiculously cheap goods to lure you in then rip you off by selling you a box of broken shit. theyre usually gone by the time people realize theyve been screwed.

Looks like you did yourself a favour by not buying it.

yer sounds like that I left after the first 5 min

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought an 800mhz iBook g3, 30gb HDD, 128mb RAM (granted I will upgrade this to 640 as soon as it arrives) with a 32mb Radeon 7500 card for £410.00, and thats inclusive of insured shipping to the UK. Ill need to spend about 4-5 quid on an adapter, but wont need a step down transformer as its a multi-voltage power unit. BTW, anyone know where i can get a usa-style plug to uk-style plug adapter from?). The laptop was bought using buy it now, and itd probably be even cheaper if you just bid.

loz_the_guru posted on Sep 28 2004 at 05:06 PM said:
I just bought an 800mhz iBook g3, 30gb HDD, 128mb RAM (granted I will upgrade this to 640 as soon as it arrives) with a 32mb Radeon 7500 card for £410.00, and thats inclusive of insured shipping to the UK. Ill need to spend about 4-5 quid on an adapter, but wont need a step down transformer as its a multi-voltage power unit.

sounds verry nice although the problem there its good a good gfx card /chip but a g3 cpu so there will not be as many games / programs that will beable to take advantage of it

BTW, anyone know where i can get a usa-style plug to uk-style plug adapter from?). The laptop was bought using buy it now, and itd probably be even cheaper if you just bid.

all you need is one of those figure 8 plugs you can get them in most hardware shops for a few £ or just take one off an old tape player :D

Fantastic, ive got about 100 lying around the house. The G3 isnt good for games, but If your after a gaming orientated Laptop for under £300, your going to struggle im afraid.

loz_the_guru posted on Sep 28 2004 at 08:47 PM said:
Fantastic, ive got about 100 lying around the house. The G3 isnt good for games, but If your after a gaming orientated Laptop for under £300, your going to struggle im afraid.

Im not after a good gaming laptop just maybe 16mb 3d so I can play old stuff like halflife, Quake 3 resident evil (1/2/3) and other older 3d games that dont require too much power

I like to watch movies too but my old laptop dosnt have much gfx ram so movies that cant use the decoder card are verry choppy

even then you will struggle.... you are going to need to have a decent 3d chip to play those games reasonably... although you may get away with an onboard one..... It might be worth saving a bit more to £400-£500....

Exo posted on Sep 28 2004 at 09:00 PM said:
loz_the_guru posted on Sep 28 2004 at 08:47 PM said:

Im not after a good gaming laptop just maybe 16mb 3d so I can play old stuff like halflife, Quake 3 resident evil (1/2/3) and other older 3d games that dont require too much power

I like to watch movies too but my old laptop dosnt have much gfx ram so movies that cant use the decoder card are verry choppy

Hmmmm.... I may have one for sale..... I've got a P3 1Ghz Laptop (Advent 6411). It's got 256Mb Ram, Firewire, DVD-rom, SiS on-board 3D card with shared graphics memory (16 to 64Mb 3d depending on how much RAM you want to use). Comes with ME, but works fine with XP (which I could bung on for you)...... Got a 20Gb (or possibly 30Gb?) HDD.

It should play those old games ok (I know GTA3 worked ok on it, if not wonderfully smoothly!). Dunno about quake 3, cos I aint tried it, but it should be okay.... It's in 'well used' condition, but works absolutely fine.

Also comes with a rucksack (single diagonal strap) carrying bag...

What would you offer me for it?

Thread is probably old, but whatever. Don't get a VAIO, I've only heard horrible things. Almost everything sony is shitty build quality.

Back