Sony Planning Psp/phone Crossover?

Jourdy288

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/03/sony-plans-new-mobile-initiative-to-take-on-apple.ars

Sony aims to enable a number of devices to connect to the service. The company is planning to make a smartphone capable of playing games made for the PSP Go—a sort of iPhone-like "PSP phone." A project is also underway to build a mobile device that "blurs distinctions among a netbook, an e-reader and a PSP," according to the Journal's sources. That sure sounds like an iPad to us. Other Sony Ericsson phones may also have access to the content, and it would presumably be accessible via the company's Vaio line of laptops as well.
I don't think this is going to end well. It'll probably cost as much as an iPhone, PSP, e-reader, and netbook combined+be locked down tight with DRM. They need to imitate Nintendo and stop trying to compete because it seems they've worn out their audience. Quit aiming for so called 'hardcore' gamers, quit trying to give yourself 'street cred', and don't give us crossover devices that ultimately fail in some regard. That's what we have DealExtreme for.

I doubt that a PSP (PlayStationPhone) will come out...in the off-chance that it does...

IT WILL FAIL!!!

EDIT: Actually, seriously though...It will only succeed if it is a PSP 2 (PlayStationPortable 2) that doubles as a phone.

I think it could work. A phone with actual game controls might succeed where the n-gage failed, as there's actually some decent games for PSP.
Battery life is going to be a problem though.
I'm not saying, I'm going to get one, but I think it has the potential to not fail.

Great big fail. Sony tends to mess up when trying to copy success. (In fact, everyone does.) A Sony iPhone and Sony iPad will probably be one-off devices nobody cares about. Also, I somehow doubt they will remember to put good controls on the phone and the pad... Well, let's see.

I'm wondering if they're going to stick with PSP hardware for eternity... they can't... Think about it, the PSP's generation is nearly over, now they're considering a phone that runs PSP stuff? Come on. Be more careful.
EDIT: That would be kinda cool, though, if the PSPhone is great but gets ignored due to the iCult and it has some sort of vulnerability for homebrew...

Back