Sony Psp2

monstercameron said:
if this monster is $250-300 it will be a hard task choosing 3ds or psp2 the specs are vomit enducing!
Sounds cool but after seeing 3D games on the 3DS it may be hard to go back to 2D for new commercal release type games..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a nvidia 3D Vision for awhile now and I can say that it definitely works like DaveC said. I don't really play 2d games anymore, they look flat.

DaveC said:
monstercameron said:
if this monster is $250-300 it will be a hard task choosing 3ds or psp2 the specs are vomit enducing!
Sounds cool but after seeing 3D games on the 3DS it may be hard to go back to 2D for new commercal release type games..

I think that depends on if you get headaches from 3D.

For me the 3DS doesn't have a good enough lineup in the short term, or a price that isn't vomit inducing (£230? For 4 years old tech? Are you having a giraffe?), and the PSP2: Electric Boogaloo looks like it could provide some seriously good power for games. Still, I'll most likely end up getting both eventually, but after the 3DS' abhorrent launch lineup and price, it's gone from a Day 1 purchase for me to a possible Year 2 purchase.

Also Uncharted PSP2!

I like the analog sticks, which are not just another set of nubs (I don't really like nubs). The back pad seems like it could work well for some things.

It'll be great if this has Android support. I don't think it will, but I imagine Sony could do it without too much effort, and it satisfies the requisite interfaces + 3G. This would be a competitive advantage that I doubt 3DS would be able to follow, one that Sony could really use. It could really help Sony cut more into iPod Touch's sales domain.

The affect on attachment rate is a toss up.. on the one hand, more people would be buying the device with the intention of only using it for apps. On the other hand, a lot of people would buy the killer app games once they had the system than buy the system for games. It'd also solve give a nice clean avenue for homebrew that Sony would then not have to worry about addressing or fighting. This would help their image and would also make people less eager to hack the device, since there'd be little reason to outside of piracy.

And for us it'd mean access to a really good emulator device, that could perhaps inevitably handle Dreamcast, DS, and PSP (if hlide's expectations are anything to go by).. this would probably be out longer before a Pandora 2, which if using OMAP4 would still be behind in specs, especially 3D.

If anyone thinks PSPhone is viable then this would certainly be more viable.

This NGP (PSP2 codename) makes me drooling over it. Its specs sound fantastic : 4 cores A9 ! dunno if they run at 1Ghz though. Emulating PSP should be doable. Its SGX543MP4 (4 cores) may indeed allow openGL and openCL. But knowing SONY, I'm not expecting they will accept homebrew development.

OLED, hells yeah! The only thing that makes me wonder is how much they'll try and rape you for this? The GO was $250 at launch and that wasn't any kind of real upgrade. The NGP..... get ready to sell a kidney!!!

Just FYI the PSP go was $250.00 at launch because it had 16 gigs of internal memory. The standard PSP 1000 - 3000 had none, thus the price was more than justified IMO. I'm not that worried about the price but I am worried about the battery life. Maybe I shouldn't be comparing them but the 3DS is only going to get 3-5 hrs of battery life because of how taxing the hardware is, so pulling off much more than that with the NGP seems like it would be impossible (unless Nintendo thinks they can get away with just giving us the bare minimum of course). Other than that I'm pretty excited for it, especially when they claimed you could directly port PS3 games to it. I'm sure it's not that black and white but just the concept is still really cool. With titles like COD and Killzone coming to it the thing has to sell like hotcakes. The FPS junkies (97% of the modern gaming population?) will be all over it as long as the dual analogs work similar to a console controller.
I didn't expect to have to ask this for at least a few more years and since I don't know that much about the technical side of these things I am forced to ask... PS2 emulation? Certainly not getting my hopes up but you know someone was going to ask sooner or later.

I don't know about that. A $50-$80 price difference because of 16gb of memory, which they had to include because they got rid of the UMD's and went all digital? I prefer physical media so it was a step backwards for me.

About the PS2 emulation, if this really is as/more powerful than the PS3 then it should be able to since the 2nd batch of PS3's used emulation to be backwards compatible. The first batch had the actual PS2 hardware for this which they removed to make more money per console.

Lol, craigix made a Twitter comment:

PSP2: 'Sony's rather proud of the fact it's offering the world's first dual analog stick combo on a portable device' ... Erm... right.

Guess he could use some reading comprehension.

Specs include a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor, 5-inch touchscreen OLED display with 960 x 544 resolution, dual analog sticks (not nubs as on the current generation)...

How are the analog sticks going to work out if you want to put the PSP2 in a pocket?

Otherwise, maybe LittleBigPlanet PSP 2 won't have miserable physics like the first one did.

@Orion4874

I see where you're coming from but at that point it's more of a preference thing. A 16GB Pro duo costed more then 50 bucks on the PSP go's release date (I'm pretty sure of that anyways).The go was also much more pocketable than the previous iterations, so for people who prefer digital media and a smaller device (like me) the price was fine. It was more of an alternative option than an evolutionary step of the PSP. I believe it was marketed towards a different group of people than those who had the older PSPs.

And on the PS2 stuff... I'm sort of doubtful on Sony's claims about the power. If it is close to the PS3 I'm sure it could though. I can't quite recall what it was but I remember being let down on a claim like this before. That's interesting it used emulation too, I thought all the PS3s that were backwards compatible used just the hardware. Why aren't they using it in the newer PS3's btw? Just because it's glitchy and imperfect like most emulation?

Anyways, I just read this: http://www.1up.com/news/ngp-battery-life-about-the-same
I'm certainly not taking that as anything close to fact but this is looking much more promising now.

I know its way too early to tell, but I am also interested in knowing if PS2 emulation could be possible?

Veritas0589 said:
I know its way too early to tell, but I am also interested in knowing if PS2 emulation could be possible?

Very unlikely.

Cant wait for some to jailbreak PSP2 and put emulators on it. I don't know how GPH or even Pandora 2 can beat this monster before 2014.

klikklak said:
I've had a nvidia 3D Vision for awhile now and I can say that it definitely works like DaveC said. I don't really play 2d games anymore, they look flat.
Wow such a non-retro gamer :p

Question is will people still get in line to order Pandora 1 or get the PSP2 instead? Worst case scenario, people canceling their current orders to go for the PSP2. :blink:

Back