Some Kind Of Elite

taubstumm

Website
Visit site
i know there is elite for c64,nes and there is also a gp32 game.. but c'ommon...
nes is the only playable version of those 3 but its kinda outdated..
dont get me wrong.. its still fun but you could do much more!
im thinkin of somekind of freelancer... ok thats asked too much but some improoved trading system (see what goods do cost at other stations etc..) and some more save possibilites and maybe SOME eyecandy...
well the eyecandy isn't importatnt...
but some nice mix between the wincommander and elite gameplay would be REALLY cool ;)

Hmm... Is there a playable version of Wing Commander for GP32? Wasn't there a SNES version? I expect it runs pretty badly though as my old Amiga 500 could never handle it very well!

®

I was hoping that the GP32 Elite would be finished. Is it true that work has stopped on it? Yeah, it would be cool though to have a space trading-combat game made specially for the GP32. I hope the commercial games scene picks up- hey, I still think some of the freeware is excellent though.

john

Yeah a GP version of an 'elite' style trading game would be cool, using all it's hardware power. NES elite works really well with it's two button control. The AtariST version is in flat shaded poly's so looks nicer, but you will have to use the virtual keyboard (if you can handle that, then you can also play elite2 and federation of free traders). Wing commander does run on the snes emu's as well, but I did not test it that much.

How would you improve Elite? David Braben has tried and failed several times now. Maybe he should have just improved the graphics, and added a few new enemies, missions, and upgrades, but definately leave the flight engine alone.

My favourate version of Elite is the GBA one which we may be able to play on GP32 one day if GP Advance progresses well. The GBA version is a small homebrew ROM with an engine pretty much the same as the BBC original, but with shaded in graphics and a nice menu system a bit like the NES one.

I dunno, I played through most of NES ELITE, and it was fun...for a while. It got a bit repetative, missions were few and far between, and i'd seen all there was to see. I had plenty of money, and every upgrade.
I remember being able to land on planets in Frontier, and starglider2. In SG2 there were lots of weird and wonderfull life forms. A whole new career could be made out of capturing/cataloguing them.
Same goes for planets, you could sell knowledge of new habitable planets for profit, or map them.
Buying different starships (some only available in missions, or certain areas of the galaxy) +more equipment, and different trade items/races depending on how far you have explored. All these things would make for a more interesting game.
I think braben lost it. The flight model in Frontier was horendous, making a mockery of an astonishing game :( Last thing he did was a really bad dog simulator. I know wonder how much of Elites greatness was Braben's, and how much was bell's.

cool.. i'll give the gba version a try (flashcard) :lol:
hum improovments..
using all buttons...
maybe an autosave after leaving the planet/station..
a list which shows what goods do cost at other stations/planets..
i think that could be done :)

EDIT:
you named some other games now.. could you please list the names and on what platform they run? cuz i like this kind of games but i only know elite+freelancer

I don't know if you realised, but a port of Elite: The New Kind happened a couple of years back - it just never got finished (I think all it needed was saving iirc - there's a release probably in the games section and certainly on GP32emu).
Personally, I found the GP32 version of the game a bit complex - too many keys and menus and such - but if someone picked it up and put save in, UI'm sure I'd play it. And others would too...

Just not sure if the source from that port is available...

WhizzBang posted on Mar 16 2004 at 10:24 AM said:
How would you improve Elite? David Braben has tried and failed several times now. Maybe he should have just improved the graphics, and added a few new enemies, missions, and upgrades, but definately leave the flight engine alone.
Did he fail? I loved Frontier & First Encounters, while I never really got into Elite... just confused. Might be that I was a little too young for Elite, when it was on it's highest - and unable to be impressed by it later.

I do however prefer both Frontier & First Encounters over Freelancer... Also bought a similar game called Xiphos (I think) for Amiga back in the day... but it just lacked something.

Also wasn't someone making a top-down/Elite-style game?

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who want to play starglider2, frontier elite2 or federation of free traders, they can all be played on Castaway. The lack of a keyboard let's them down though.

I started playing Elite the new kind, but got really pissed off when I found there was no saves :( And to many keys, I wish they'd use the NES keys, they are perfect

I'm playing starflight on the ST now, iv'e heard it's meant to be pretty good.

Hmmm... topic resurrection for a while :)

I've just found the source for JJFFE; and whats more there's now an SDL version as well as the DirectX. And we've got a pretty good SDL port. I wonder...

Anyway, if anyone wants to have a bash at porting it (and I oh so hope they do - the TNK is just annoying without saves) the source can be found on the JJFFE homepage.

If JJFFE isn't something you've heard of, basically, its essentially an interpreter for the FFE data files in order that they might be able to be used on more modern machines; its worth a play on PC even if no-one does port it.

Back