[SOLVED] Getting Usb Vga To Work

petelewin

Still Fresh
Hi,

I would like to get a VGA output from the Pandora. I have a USB VGA adapter (from StarTech.com), and was hoping to use this.

The driver it seems to need is sisusbvga, which is installed on the Pandora by default. When I connect up a monitor I get a black screen with a red border, which I believe shows the driver itself is talking to the adapter. With the adapter plugged in, lsusb returns:

Code:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0711:0900 Magic Control Technology Corp. SVGA Adapter

Searching the web suggests I need to modify xorg.conf. I have added a screen to the serverlayout section:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"DefaultLayout"
	Screen		"Screen0"
	Screen		"screen1"
EndSection

[I have just noticed the lower case used in screen1, will try changing that]

Added a section for "Screen1":

Code:
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen1"
        Device "Videocard1"
        Monitor "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth 16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 8
                Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 24
        EndSubSection
EndSection
And a monitor:

Code:
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Monitor1"
EndSection

And finally a device:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Videocard1"
        Driver "sisusb"
        VendorName "sis"
        BoardName "unknown sis card"
        Option "SWCursor" "on"
        Option "HWCursor" "off"
EndSection

However, as yet I get nothing out on the VGA (except for the black screen with a red border).

Any idea on what I need to do?
Thanks.

Edit: OK - I didn't need any of that. I just needed to install xf86-video-sisusb from the Angstrom repository, and it configured itself!

I now have a working desktop on the VGA monitor, and just need to work out how to use it,

Cheers.

Edit[2]: I was wrong - the changes to /etc/xorg.conf above were needed as well as installing xf86-video-sisusb - I forgot that I hadn't removed them.

My external VGA is still limited to 800 x 600, but it's a good start ;-)

Alerino said:
first, you have to tell us how you solved! the whole forum will thank you!
You see the edit in the post above that post? ...
Edit: OK - I didn't need any of that. I just needed to install xf86-video-sisusb from the Angstrom repository, and it configured itself!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Raman - You need to request a moderator to do so, as I don't think we can edit topic titles.

Great thread, by the way - this might well be very handy in the future. :D

Prometheus said:
You need to request a moderator to do so, as I don't think we can edit topic titles.
I'll do it :)
Just to let you know, I didn't add a [solved] to that one thread recently, cause I think it's better to reserve it for more advanced problems. It makes it easier to evaluate info when browsing the section. You'll be able to decide these things yourself soon I'm sure, it's being discussed right now ;)

Raman said:
Hi,

I would like to get a VGA output from the Pandora. I have a USB VGA adapter (from StarTech.com), and was hoping to use this.

The driver it seems to need is sisusbvga, which is installed on the Pandora by default. When I connect up a monitor I get a black screen with a red border, which I believe shows the driver itself is talking to the adapter. With the adapter plugged in, lsusb returns:

Code:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0711:0900 Magic Control Technology Corp. SVGA Adapter

Searching the web suggests I need to modify xorg.conf. I have added a screen to the serverlayout section:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
	Screen		"Screen0"
	Screen		"screen1"
EndSection

[I have just noticed the lower case used in screen1, will try changing that]

Added a section for "Screen1":

Code:
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen1"
        Device "Videocard1"
        Monitor "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth 16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 24
        EndSubSection
EndSection
And a monitor:

Code:
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Monitor1"
EndSection

And finally a device:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Videocard1"
        Driver "sisusb"
        VendorName "sis"
        Option "SWCursor" "on"
        Option "HWCursor" "off"
EndSection

However, as yet I get nothing out on the VGA (except for the black screen with a red border).

Any idea on what I need to do?
Thanks.

I now have a working desktop on the VGA monitor, and just need to work out how to use it,

Cheers.

What kind of resoloution can you get out of it, and can you please tell me how to install xf86-video-sisusb. I'm starting to use the pandora more and more at the moment as a portable computer that can be used as a desktop when needed (much as I anticipated I'd use it before I recieved it).

Finally, what model number is your USB adaptor? Thanks,
Mark.

Anyone can wiki it if they register first. just go to
http://pandorawiki.org/Usb_vga
select 'edit this page' and go. Don't worry about linking it if you don't want, that will get sorted. I think it deserves a page to itself, some background info can go there too.
Just don't write about essay writing!

Mqark said:
What kind of resoloution can you get out of it, and can you please tell me how to install xf86-video-sisusb. I'm starting to use the pandora more and more at the moment as a portable computer that can be used as a desktop when needed (much as I anticipated I'd use it before I recieved it).

Finally, what model number is your USB adaptor? Thanks,
Mark.

The USB adapter I've got is just called "USB2VGA", see below. It's nearly £85 there, but I got it on ebay (new) for £45.

http://www.startech.com/item/USB2VGA-USB-VGA-External-Multi-Monitor-Video-Adapter.aspx

To install xf86-video-sisusb I just used opkg:

sudo okpg update
sudo okpg install xf86-video-sisusb

I am booting from an SD Card, so I don't risk messing things up. If you are not doing this, be aware that this will install to your NAND, and there are lots of opinions on here as to whether that's a good idea.

I suspect there is an automated way of doing the next bit, but I couldn't find it so edited /etc/xorg.conf directly. This is the bit that can prevent you booting if you get it wrong. With the changes to this file I mentioned in the first post, I only got 800x600. However, I have now managed to get 1280 x 1024, which is the quoted maximum the adapter will support. The display is a not very sharp - not sure if this is just down to the adapter or some configuration, but it is quite usable.

The xorg.conf I'm using to get 1280 x 1024 is below, but please note:

• I'm not sure that all of this is correct - there is a fair bit of guess work
  • I think it may be possible to damage your monitor with incorrect settings (OK, my guess is that this is unlikely with any half-modern monitor, but that's a guess so I'll warn!)

I have not yet really worked out how to fully use both displays. So far, the mouse seems to start on the Pandora screen, but if I move it to the bottom of the screen it appears on the external monitor. To get it back to the Pandora I just touch the screen.

The /etc/xorg.conf I currently have is:

Code:
# Minimal xorg.conf for the OpenPandora - Most things are setup by HAL and FDI's.
# Additional hacks to make a USB VGA adapter work.

Section "Module"
	Load		"extmod"
	Load		"dbe"
	Disable		"glx"
	Disable		"dri"
	Load		"dri2"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Screen		"Screen0"
	Screen		"screen1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"OMAPFB"
	Monitor		"Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth	16
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	16
		Modes	"800x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen1"
        Device "Videocard1"
        Monitor "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth 16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 8
                Modes "1280x1024_60.00" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Monitor1"
	VendorName	"ViewSonic"
	ModelName	"VG900b"
	HorizSync	30 - 110
	VertRefresh	40 - 75
	ModeLine "1280x1024_60.00" 108.0  1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"OMAPFB"
	Driver		"omapfb"
EndSection                                              

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"FBDEV"
	Driver		"fbdev"
	Option		"ShadowFB"		"false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Videocard1"
        Driver "sisusb"
        VendorName "sis"
        Option "SWCursor" "on"
        Option "HWCursor" "off"
EndSection

So is this 'plug and play', so that you just plug in the adapter (after you've done all the setup stuff of course) and get an external VGA display? Do both displays work together - so you've got both the Pandora display and VGA at the same time?

This looks really cool, and if it works smoothly I would recommend that the OPT include xf86-video-sisusb in future releases .. this would be really nice if its just plug and play ..

torpor said:
So is this 'plug and play', so that you just plug in the adapter (after you've done all the setup stuff of course) and get an external VGA display? Do both displays work together - so you've got both the Pandora display and VGA at the same time?

This looks really cool, and if it works smoothly I would recommend that the OPT include xf86-video-sisusb in future releases .. this would be really nice if its just plug and play ..

I'm not sure entirely what "plug and play" means. Now that I have set this up, if I boot with the adapter plugged in I get both screens, if I boot without it plugged in I get the normal behaviour. If I plug the adapter in after booting I have to reboot to get the VGA screen. I presume I really only need to restart X to switch modes, but I don't know how to do that.

I'm not sure about having this as part of the standard firmware - I suppose it depends how many people would want to use it. I would guess not many?

Yes both displays work together, as two separate desktops. When you start an application it stays on the desktop from where you launched it. Moving the mouse to the bottom of the Pandora screen takes it to the external screen, where it then stays until you touch the touchscreen. This means you can run an application full screen on one display while having other windows open on the other screen.

My main reason for getting this working is for presentations with the Pandora driving the projector - this will mean I don't have to carry a laptop with me when travelling. So now I need to work out how to present powerpoint files. The best I've got so far is converting them to pdfs, but then I lose the animations. I need to sort this out in a couple of weeks to prove to my boss that the Pandora is better than an iPad (so maybe flash is the answer!) ;-)

Raman said:
So now I need to work out how to present powerpoint files. The best I've got so far is converting them to pdfs, but then I lose the animations.
Just a thought: Do the PowerPoint files in question work correctly in OpenOffice.org? If so, perhaps looking into getting that running on the Pandora might be the way to go. :p

This really cool, i wish i had this when i did my presentation on the pandora at my MUG

$65 here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200034&cm_re=USB_VGA_External_Dual-_-12-200-034-_-Product

What framerate do you get? And can it load back data from the SGX? I highly doubt that the framerate is any good and that you can use the default 3D hw on the external display without loosing a good bit of performance.
Imo, a VGA-Box is the way to go, but lets see your results first..

FYI to all looking to give your Pandora a "netbook" feel, I'd suggest a USB hub (I KNOW battery powered ones exist, just difficult to actually find), a usb trackpad or trackball mouse (usually less than $40US depending on where you find them), a rubber (roll-able) USB keyboard (usually between $10US and $20US depending on source), the USB to VGA adapter talked about here and finish it off with a 14" or 16" LED monitor (which the most expensive I have seen is about $70US)... all of which can fit in a standard laptop bag or backpack (actually in the place where the laptop itself would normally fit, so you have room for so much more) and you eliminate the need for multiple devices... granted I'd also suggest a power strip in case you pick a location that happens to only have 1 power outlet. USB-based KVM :p

may seem elaborate, but when you unplug all that stuff and walk away still using your Pandora, the on-lookers will stop laughing and start envying. :D

side note: can't wait to get my Pandora so I can play with this concept myself... all I'd be missing at that point is the LED monitor (and maybe a sleeve to put it in for extra protection... never know. :p )

Prometheus said:
Raman said:
So now I need to work out how to present powerpoint files. The best I've got so far is converting them to pdfs, but then I lose the animations.
Just a thought: Do the PowerPoint files in question work correctly in OpenOffice.org? If so, perhaps looking into getting that running on the Pandora might be the way to go. :p

Most of them do, and I could make the others do so (this is something we should do anyway). This would pretty much be ideal.

However, I'm sure this has been discussed several times on here, with the general opinion being OpenOffice is way too much of a memory hog to run reasonably on Pandora. I started looking into building it (maybe just the presentation part), but I have not yet found the time and probably don't have the ability...

pandora should be capable of running ooo-presentations just fine. I wouldn't use that combination for regular work, though ;)

There're also kpresenter, impressive, latex-beamer and xsw, maybe you wanna take a look at those :D

Btw: I want a video of you holding a presentation with a pandora, an usb-vga-box and a wiimote ;)

conso said:
pandora should be capable of running ooo-presentations just fine. I wouldn't use that combination for regular work, though ;)

There're also kpresenter, impressive, latex-beamer and xsw, maybe you wanna take a look at those :D

Btw: I want a video of you holding a presentation with a pandora, an usb-vga-box and a wiimote ;)

Oooh. I hadn't thought of the Wii remote. It's bluetooth right? I don't recall any threads on using it with Pandora, but will have a search. That'll have to be tonight's play.

I think I'd looked at kpresenter a while ago - can't remember what conclusion I came to. Thanks for the ideas, will have a look.

Not sure I'll get away with videoing at the customer's site, but I guess I'll need to test this out first anyway...

JayFoxRox said:
What framerate do you get? And can it load back data from the SGX? I highly doubt that the framerate is any good and that you can use the default 3D hw on the external display without loosing a good bit of performance.
Imo, a VGA-Box is the way to go, but lets see your results first..
Don't know, and don't know. Framerate doing what? and how would I measure it? I've only been looking at mostly static images so far (as that's what I'm trying to use). The Image is not very sharp, which is fine for a projector but maybe not really great for desktop use.

A VGA-box might work well, but I'd need to wait for / sort out a TV-out cable first.

Raman said:
However, I'm sure this has been discussed several times on here, with the general opinion being OpenOffice is way too much of a memory hog to run reasonably on Pandora. I started looking into building it (maybe just the presentation part), but I have not yet found the time and probably don't have the ability...
As Alerino noted, it may be worth you taking a look at Stuckie's "Debian In An Extend" thread. I gather that this should give you the ability to install items from the Debian ARM repository (although I haven't used it myself, so do take that with a pinch of salt).

Back