[SOLVED] Bubble In My Touch Screen

paddy

Website
Visit site
Hello

Ok so i got my new pandora !yey and OPT sent me a new unit instead of fixing the issues that i had found with my first unit and they checked the unit over for me as i had requested as there were a few points on my old unit that i didn't like and well all those issues are now gone !

My new unit is much better and the build quality is fantastic ,everything seems perfect to me ,shoulder buttons ,battery well everything apart from something i noticed the minute i tried to use the touchscreen.

The screen felt really rough and so i cleaned it ,i then noticed it still felt rough so i used the paper trick on the stylus that i did with my other unit and it felt smooth but i did notice the display would not register a touch of the stylus in the middle of the display ,i then tested all areas of the display and found that i had to press down on the display all around the centre ,then i noticed this was more like a large bubble/pocket where when you press in the centre of the display you can feel it depress the screen quite deep before a touch is registered.

My first unit did not have this problem at all and infact it was an amazing touch screen display and i rate it the best i have ever used ,but with this new unit it's really pretty bad ,i cant draw with gimp as the mouse moves over the bubble area the mouse simply stops and then starts after going over that area.

So ,i ask what can i do to fix this ? could i fix this my self as i was thinking mabe the bezel is too tight and restricting the display or is the display simply faulty/warped ?

I also wanted to know if this is common with touch sensitive display's as i haven't used many and so i don't know if there is some kind of quick fix for this.

ps ,i got my new unit a few days ago but have been toying with the idea of reporting it as i wanted to see if it would actuly be a problem to me ,i mean mabe after a few days use i would find i get used to it and it's not so bad but it seems to bother me becase the entire display doesn't react as good as my old pandora display ,i think from the feel of it that something is too tight and the display doesn't have room to breath ,i hope i can fix this myself becase i love this pandora ,it's perfect in every other way and it clocks at 885mhz stable !!!!!!!

cheers

It may be worth removing the screen screw covers and loosening the screw a few rotations, it could just be too tight,

I still can't believe you didn't check your Pandora before leaving! I took far too long, Craig showed me the pile to choose from and I was there a good 30 mins before I could finally chose one. TBH they were all the same except the shoulder buttons on some weren't quite as flush, Then I Powered on and checked all the buttons nubs ETC, 260 mile round trip would be a little tedious the second time round :)

I just don't know if i should touch it or not ,i know what you mean about checking the unit first but i was tired and my thoughts were getting home at 1:45am and a 3 hour drive ahead.

i hope i can fix this my self ,i don't wanna send this unit back bacase i am really happy with everything else on it.

well you aren't actually opening the Pandora so I'm pretty confident it won't brake the warranty, But if it is a major concern I would wait for a member of the team to advise

Gruso said:
Maybe they could just send you a matching Bobble.

hehe ,well it is Ed's fav game ! i wanna open this thing up now and fix it but i better wait for permission first i guess.

I was thinking about the opening of the bezel ,now if i remember correctly ,the lcd drops onto the front bezel so the actual lcd is sitting on the front so if i were to remove the four screws and try to put out the bezel from the front i would be pulling at the lcd and the ribbon cable becase of the adhesive is also on the front bezel keeping the lcd in place ,so i would need to take out the screws and gently rty to move the bezel away from the adhesive strip just enough so the lcd has some space to move ,then re apply the bezel to the rest of the unit without the adhesive strip catching the lcd ,argg hard to explain ,ill wait and see what opt say.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should know what you are doing, as you've been on the assembly line. But don't forget how fragile things are on the lid. I've never heard of a similar problem, so I can't help.

EvilDragon said:
I wouldn't try top open the lid - too dangerous to break the LCD...

Ed what do you suggest ? should this be sent back ,mind this is the second unit i have had in so many days ,and if i do need to send it back ill be gutted if i get even more problems.

paddy said:
EvilDragon said:
I wouldn't try top open the lid - too dangerous to break the LCD...

Ed what do you suggest ? should this be sent back ,mind this is the second unit i have had in so many days ,and if i do need to send it back ill be gutted if i get even more problems.

Since I didn't understand correctly what problem you have (a bubble in a touchscreen? Meaning the touchscreen is not properly applied by the manufacturer? No idea...), there's not much I can suggest you here,

Last edited:
mvickers03 said:
Could you possibly take a picture please mate, I would like to see the bubble

This is just a thought but maybe there really is just an air pocket trapped under the Touch membrane, my first thought would be to get a credit card and apply a piece or 2 of tissue paper around the card(to prevent card from scratching the display) then apply pressure with the card at the left side of the screen then firmly (but not to firm) slide the card across the whole length of the screen to try and push the air pocket out of the cavity,

mvickers03 said:
mvickers03 said:
Could you possibly take a picture please mate, I would like to see the bubble

This is just a thought but maybe there really is just an air pocket trapped under the Touch membrane, my first thought would be to get a credit card and apply a piece or 2 of tissue paper around the card(to prevent card from scratching the display) then apply pressure with the card at the left side of the screen then firmly (but not to firm) slide the card across the whole length of the screen to try and push the air pocket out of the cavity,

this is exactly the issue and your idea sounds very good ,i will give it a go m8.

ok now i did what mvickers03 suggested and it has made the display go blue with yellow flashes and squares around the edges ,it's strange becase the pandora is making a screetching noise like batman on the zx ,lol

yep i did what mvickers03 suggested and it has made the display 99% perfect ! ,the stylus can freely move all over the display with ease and that pocket seems to have been removed ,its not at the edges or anything now as i thought i might only be pushing it along ,now my display is totaly flat and looks better as well.

Cheers mvickers03

Back