[SOLVED] Bios Issue (And Other Problems) With Gpsp

Prometheus

So, I just spotted and downloaded the GINGE-wrapped version of gpSP from the file archive. However, it complains about needing a Game Boy Advance BIOS to be in the same directory as gpSP. Putting it in the same directory as the PND doesn't work (obviously) - how do I get gpSP to see what it keeps asking for?

EDIT: Whoops. I guess my common-sense took a brief vacation. It needs to be dropped in the appdata directory that's created after you run it first. Now if only it would stop crashing whenever I select a game (and yes, they're zipped, as required :p).

Try running them unzipped ;p

Also, try the GP2X version. It should be feature parity with the Wiz version. It probably isn't faster because despite not having to rotate the screen rotating should come for free when you scale, but who knows.

I'll try it out with unzipped ones shortly. Would I be correct if I were to guess that this text from the description is incorrect?

NOTE: It only runs ZIPPED ROMS. It will simply quit when trying to run unzipped ones!

I don't know. Seriously I've heard issues both ways. I can't offer any kind of explanation It's not something I observed on any releases I made, but it may very well have been a bug on my GP2X versions, or even something latent that was there from the start. It also could have something to do with notaz's move to mmaping the ROMs. If this is the case, you may want to try an older version like 0.9-2xb - the mmuhack speed boosts hopefully won't apply to Pandora/GINGE, and if GINGE happens to have an overscaling mode you can get free scaling out of it. If GINGE doesn't have such a mode.. well, that might be a neat feature request, I dunno. I don't think the game compatibility is different for the latter versions.

What I hear is that there have been SOME ROMs that only work if zipped. It's possible that if there's something with your zip files that the zip code doesn't like (like containing another file - seriously I'm just pulling this out of thin air, not saying anything definitive) where none of them will work. Recently someone tried running them unzipped instead of zipped and it improved his situation.

I will say this much - this isn't an issue with core compatibility or the dynarec crashing or something like that, so it won't take any particularly special knowledge to debug. One of the many fine programmers on the site should be capable of diagnosing and fixing it if they're so interested. As for me, I will definitely not be working on any gpSP version, unfortunately.

Prometheus said:
I'll try it out with unzipped ones shortly. Would I be correct if I were to guess that this text from the description is incorrect?

NOTE: It only runs ZIPPED ROMS. It will simply quit when trying to run unzipped ones!
My zipped roms work. Haven't tried unzipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
It also could have something to do with notaz's move to mmaping the ROMs.
Yeah it doesn't work sometimes, perhaps I should do an update for this sometime.

notaz said:
Exophase said:
It also could have something to do with notaz's move to mmaping the ROMs.
Yeah it doesn't work sometimes, perhaps I should do an update for this sometime.
I had problems with all my roms crashing , somehow I though removing the read me files from the zips would help and it did, now they all play perfect

I forgot to report back on this one. My zip files contain nothing but my games, and they don't work unzipped either. :blink: It is a mystery to me.

I also tried to run this and both ziped and unziped files crash for the three games I tries so far. For ziping I used pandora zip, XP 7-zip and XP native zip. However it seems that for the ziped ones it runs a bit longer before crashing and if I'm not wrong they produces a white screen for short.

zipped crash for me unzipped also crash for me... this pnd ginge wrapper + gpsp was such a neto idea....

I just wanted to post an update on this, and mark it as solved. :)

I did what sebt3 and HackModford did, and re-zipped my games. I didn't do this on the Pandora, though - I simply did so on my main computer (which runs Xubuntu). It's all working now, and it's working very well indeed.

Back