Okay, I Lied...more Help Needed With Gpsp (gba Emu)

maj_hassel

Still Fresh
I've installed the game, read the README and am thoroughly stuck.

Here's what's happening (Please forgive me if I use incorrect terminology--Linux newbie here):
  • I start the program gpsp
  • I start the program gpsp
  • I get a settings menu (looks like a BIOS screen)
  • I hit [SELECT] to set the settings and quit out of this screen
  • I get a blue screen with a file path at the top and I can highlight either gba_bios.bin; roms; or ++
MY PROBLEM From here I can only:
  • Navigate backwards by hitting X and eventually ending back at the root (/)
  • Jump directly to the root by clicking Left
  • Jump to a menu screen by clicking Y -- if I select "Load New Game" I get a Game Boy splash screen and then everything locks
When I am at the screen which shows the directory and it's subs, I can highlight roms (where my games are) but I can't select it. I can only navigate backwards to the /. I can't figure out how to open the roms folder to select my game.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

If you really hate the file selector menu, you can use Gmenu2x's instead, that's what I do.

But if you want to continue with the included file selector, heres what you do:

So I guess you have gba_bios.bin highlighted in white. Press right to select .. and then down to select roms. Press X (you may have to press it twice to register correctly). Press left, then select your rom with up/down. Then press X to load the rom.

Its not really difficult, you just have to understand that the menu is divided horizontally and you have to use left/right to switch between file selector and directory selector.

Blah posted on Mar 16 2007 at 03:41 PM said:
If you really hate the file selector menu, you can use Gmenu2x's instead, that's what I do.

But if you want to continue with the included file selector, heres what you do:

So I guess you have gba_bios.bin highlighted in white. Press right to select .. and then down to select roms. Press X (you may have to press it twice to register correctly). Press left, then select your rom with up/down. Then press X to load the rom.
If I highlight roms and then click X nothing happens.

Here's a rough example of what I have at the top of the screen initially:

/mnt/sd/Emulators/gba/gpsp (below that is gba_bios.bin and off to the right is ++and roms)

If I highlight roms and then hit X it blinks and then the same screen is there but ++ is highlighted instead. roms will not open. I can go backwards by clicking ++ or launch the bios by pressing X but it won't open any of the directories at all. It's like my GP2X is stuck in reverse. It sucks.

I'm running firmware version 2.0. I think I'll upgrade to 2.1.1. Do I need to install 2.1.0 first?

In regards to the program you mentioned, Gmenu2x, is that another emulator or an add on that will work with gpsp?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you are LIGHTLY tapping the x button: it's really sensitive so you might think you just pressed it once, but the emu takes it as 2 or 3 presses.

Lobo posted on Mar 16 2007 at 04:53 PM said:
Make sure you are LIGHTLY tapping the x button: it's really sensitive so you might think you just pressed it once, but the emu takes it as 2 or 3 presses.

Okay that seems to work. I guess I suffer from lead-thumb. :rolleyes:

Thank You.

Gmenu2x is a menu system...it passes the filename of the game you select to gpsp (or any other emulator) through the command line.

As Lobo said, don't press X so hard. It registers sometimes as two presses, which is exactly what is happening to you. It goes to roms, but since it thinks you pressed X, and .. is highlighted, it goes back (hence the flashing).

i found that if i just put the game roms in with the bios , instead of a roms folder that it works....wouldnt work any other way for me.....

imhotep posted on Mar 16 2007 at 10:17 PM said:
You have to press across first to navigate down the rom list

The navigation wasn't the problem. It was that I was pressing X a little too hard.

Now everything runs great, except Doom, which suffers from shearing--which is fine, I'll save the shooters for my PC.

I can't be more happy with my shiny black box of idleness (GP2x).

Thanks again!!

Back