Solomans Key

Poobik The Hare

Still Fresh
Solomons Key, also known as Solomons (Club / no kagi / Cox Adventure of the White Tower)
on various systems.

image6291.jpg

for
Nes, C64, Amstrad cpc, Spectrum, Gameboy, Atari ST, Mame, Atari 2600 and Gameboy Color

image6411.jpg
Speccy

Solomon's Key, a popular arcade coin-op machine by Tecno that converted well to home systems.
To be frank peeps, it's as good a rendition of an arcade game as you'll find anywhere.
And it plays a dream.

image6431.jpg
Mame

A platform game with strategic play, as during play you can build or destroy platforms as
you go along your merry way. Choosing where you put the platforms (to allow you a leg up or let
an enemie drop) can be crucial and though this might sound slow, it's actually a very fast process
once you get the hang of it.

image6311.jpg
C64
image6331.jpg
Amstrad CPC

Making use of your magic wand, You can build or remove platforms in any direction around your
character, although some blocks are indestructible. Being able to build blocks allows for you to
reach parts of the screen where no platform exists or to block enemies so you may pass. it may
sound easy, but it's quite hard and you will need many goes to learn the technique for each level.

image6351.jpg
GB
image6371.jpg
GBC

Your objective is to get a key (usually found in a hard to reach part of the screen), and then
reach the exit of that screen (before time runs out), whereupon you're off to the next level.

image6391.jpg
SMS
image6471.jpg
Atari 2600

The graphics are as cute as the best platformers with nice animation, and with hidden bonuses in
blocks and around the screen to add to your score, you should be playing this one for quite some while.

image6451.jpg
Atari ST

so....
wand wavers of the world unite and wave some magic on this one.

{edit}
changed Soloman to Solomon

I just wonder...I remember a game from the Atari 800XE which was quite different from this one and was called Solomon's Key. In the title picture at the top of your review it looks to me like Solomon too, so is it Solomon or Soloman? Google actually gives hits for both variants :huh:

WhiteFalcon posted on Oct 1 2005 at 05:57 PM said:
I just wonder...I remember a game from the Atari 800XE which was quite different from this one and was called Solomon's Key. In the title picture at the top of your review it looks to me like Solomon too, so is it Solomon or Soloman? Google actually gives hits for both variants :huh:

i have always called it Soloman, but a quick play of the Nes version shows Solomon and indeed, the ST version is also Solomon. my mistake :(

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of my all-time favourites. I first played it on a friend's C64, so then bought it for my Amstrad CPC. These days I play the arcade version on MAME.

I didn't know it was released for so many systems. Especially the Atari 2600! :eek:

yeah man. one of my faves from back in the serious NES days.

criminy, they just don't make 'em like this anymore..

-r

This game is also available for the TG-16/PCengine under the title "Zipang." In fact it's a very interesting version because you're a Ninja and the theme has changed to Japanese mythology instead of wizards and magic.

Zipang%20Japan%2001.gif
Zipang_02.gif

Zipang_03.gif
Zipang_04.gif

And someone mentioned Spherical, which is basically the same game, but Solomon's Key came first. Spherical was on Amiga & C64, and probably others as well.

Back