Wizball

Poobik The Hare

Still Fresh
Speccy, C64, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC

image5931.jpg
C64
image5821.jpg
Atari ST

That once peaceful land of Wizworld has suffered badly at the hands of the evil Zark
who has turned the world monochrome and it is upto you, our hero, to set about
putting the land to rights.

image605.gif
Speccy

On starting the game you will find some difficulty in moving your spinning green ball
as it freely bounces in the direction it spins, but using the stick, you must try to
control the spin and thus slow down it's movement left or right.

image6011.jpg
Atari ST

Thankfully there is a solution to your mobility problem in the form of power-ups that
you collect when you shoot a molecule or row of enemy's (Nemesis stylee).
Collecting said power-ups allows you to select which upgrade you want to use from
a list along the bottom/top or side of the screen (depends on what version you are
playing). The first two are a must as they allow you full control over your ball.

image5971.jpg
C64

With the idea of the game being that you need to restore color to the land, you will
need the help of the third power up the most as this smaller Catalyte is needed to
complete a level.

image5991.jpg
CPC

To complete a level, you must find and shoot color droplets that will then burst and
fall groundwards, at this time hold the fire button down to control the Catalyte to
collect them. As you collect the drops of color a cauldron will start to fill and once
you have enough it's off home to watch the wizard mix the color and on your return
to the land, you will notice some color has been returned to the land

image5951.jpg
C64

The color droplets come in several flavours, and you need to assemble a certain
number of each in the cauldrons at the bottom of the screen in order to complete
one of the world's colors.

Each level is split into upper and lower sections that are reached by one of the
many interconnected craters and pipes with only one color found on each level,
so to complete certain colors you will need to collect different droplets from
different levels.

image603.gif
Speccy

Beware, as some single color droplets can effect you in ways that may not be
helpful although some will offer extra lives.

Wizball is a fine example of a shoot'em up that needs a bit of thought when playing
and the ST version is as good now as it was way back when.

so.... give your stick a rub and set off (balls in hand) to bring a little color into your
life.

This is a superbly brilliant game. I played it on the Amiga, in fact me and an X played it with me controling Wizball and him controling the Cat. We actually completed it once too!!!!!

I loved the bit in the game when the police helmet enemies arrive with the siren blaring, made me laugh my socks off :D

Nice crisp review too :)

I also see you will be reviewing another of my fave Amiga games, Backlash :) Can't wait for that one....

Yeah Wizball's a great game. Completed it many times on the Amiga, but still not on the C64.

Unfortunately the ST game has a major flaw that can render it uncompletable. When you clear a set of levels in the game, no more enemies appear (ie when you get to levels 4-6, levels 1-3 are empty). When you get to levels 7 and 8, you still need the blue from level 6 to complete them. But no matter how hard you try not to, you'll complete level 6 before 7&8. As soon as this happens, all the enemies disappear, meaning you can't get any blue droplets so you can't go any further.

I've only come across this on the Atari ST version, the Amiga version has no such problem. Don't know about the C64 (as I haven't got that far).

ok let me see, Poobik The Hare, what age are you cause the games you review are the exact games i wasted hours playing on the amiga, have you ever played supercars? or immortal. im 24. but dont review thundercats.

Supercars2! Best racing game ever. The rocket launcher, the RPG game that randomly popped up, the upgrades, two player option!

My version had a bug on the hard tracks where one of them was just all corrupted, we actually played it so much we worked out the route by following the computer cars and beat it. Great days.

-Craig

www.gp2x.co.uk

As good as supercars2 was I think the best ever racing game has to go to Rally Speedway on the Atari 800 :)

Forgot to mention c64 Wizball it the best playability of the few versions I've played.

Back