Skweek / Slider And Super Skweek

Poobik The Hare

Still Fresh
A fast moving cute arcade game that is good fun to play and runs on Amstrad CPC,
ST, Lynx, Game Gear (Slider) and PC Engine.

image5601.jpg

Skweek's world ooze's cuteness in it's own special way while the main character
is bold and colourful (yellow ish) in his simple furry fluff of a blob shape. Although
few in frames, the animation is sufficient to make him look soft and cuddly.

image5521.jpg
PC Engine Skweek, Atari ST Skweek is near identical.

The game itself revolves around Skweek turning the floor tiles pink by waddling
over them while avoiding the various enemies along the way.

image5581.jpg
Atari ST Super Skweek

Tiles can also have extra properties added such as Direction Arrows (that will
send you in a direction you may not want to go) and Ice tiles (that you will slide
over) while others disappear when you walk over them allowing no way back.
A radar of sorts shows you a direction to take so that you can collect bonuses
with the Teddy bonus being somewhat more special than the others

image5501.jpg
Game Gear Skweek

A nice background musical ditty fit's in well with the game, although the sound
effects are best described as adequate, serving as confirmation of events
(collecting bonuses, shooting or freezing the enemy, picking up Teddy Bears etc).

image5541.jpg
Lynx Super Skweek

I'm told the Amstrad version suffers slightly with it's use of flip screen, While
other versions use a vertically scrolling world making the gameplay a
whole different experience.

image5561.jpg
Amstrad CPC Skweek

Tile painting may seem a little daunting at first with loads of tiles on each level
to paint, but the first level introduces you slowly into the game, with only a few
special tiles like the arrow tiles that send you in the wrong direction. With only
a few holes to fall down the level is not so hard, but the enemy is in plentiful
supply wandering the playing field to make life difficult.

Strangely addictive, with the help of power up's and lots of secrets to discover
and ever harder levels, I find Skweek keeps me coming back time and again.
Some may consider the game to have far to many levels, but I guess if you stick
at it you'll appreciate the vast variation.

Skweek is sure to keep you busy for a while and when complete, you could always
move onto Super Skweek.

Poobik The Hare posted on Sep 5 2005 at 01:47 PM said:
A fast moving cute arcade game that is good fun to play and runs on Amstrad CPC,
ST, Lynx, Game Gear (Slider) and PC Engine.

Strangely addictive, with the help of power up's and lots of secrets to discover
and ever harder levels, I find Skweek keeps me coming back time and again.
Some may consider the game to have far to many levels, but I guess if you stick
at it you'll appreciate the vast variation.

strangely addictive is right -- the repetative music doesn't quite settle in like the bubble bobble tune, the graphics and sound effects are really functional at best ... there's no gloss here.

i'm reminded of pac man (go touch every tile on the board) but there is more variety in the monsters, power ups and playing field. it definitly feels like an arcade game, which is good for the pc engine emulator (no save states).

on my 16meg cart i use for testing lgpt i don't have much room, ... my 2nd favorite thing is !reader, and i need at least one emulator :) , so i've been playing pc Engine / tg16 stuff (devil's crush and bomberman 94, baby!) ... honestly there aren't many puzzle games for the system. from here on out i'll compare it to the ones i've tried:

be ball: has much better graphics and music, but the gameplay is too repetative (only new monsters add a little variety). good for kids.

blodia: like pipe dream, but no improvement. having to shuffle tiles around (rather than placing a random sequence of pipe shapes anywhere on a grid) detracts from the action AND the creativity of the puzzle.

bomberman 94: ok, who are we kidding? this one has beautiful graphics, beautiful music, lots of power ups/levels/bosses, arcade gameplay with a touch of strategy that i can come back to again and again. this is the best bomberman game ever created and THE reason i ran w/ a pc engine emulator over the other options :ph34r:

klax: never did it for me, nothing in the falling block genre beats tetris attacks for gbc/snes (i love the combos you can set up) ... so this one isn't even on my card.

hmm, how it measures up? it's something new, i'll keep this one on the smc for a while, see how often i boot it up instead of bomberman :rolleyes:

is there any other puzzle games for pc engine i should be checking out? :unsure:

thanks for the flood of reviews lately mr. poobik! :p you know your classic games--that can be played on any system :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back