Pandora software the pandora lacks

trix

Very Active Member
Hi guys, thumb typing this from my Pandora so please ignore punctuation and capitalization mistakes.

Also, i couldn't find a port request forum so i hope this is the right place. If not, would a mod please move this to the right place? Thanks.

Anyway, I've now had my Pandora for a week, and it is AWESOME (review coming one of these days), though my time with it has been rather short (college homework is insane), and I've noticed some of my favorite linux software isn't on here! vlc is here, as well as mplayer and such, but the missing staples stand out to me. I'm trying to figure out how to port stuff in the little free time I have, but it's slow going (I'm not much of a programmer). In the meantime, if anyone wants to be super awesome and toss a few things on the grill compiler, I'd be endlessly grateful!

Here's my current wishlist:

CD/DVD Burning application (for external burners) - k3b or similar

Video Editing/conversion (and yes I know it'd take a long time) - VirtualDub or similar

VoIP - ekiga crashes (which is known) and linphone wont use the mic (also known)

Music making - I'm talking about those programs that let you play piano on a regular keyboard, I know playing that way sucks, but when I don't lug my giant keyboard around it would be nice for easier tunes.

GIMP - would this be hard to port?

Nexuiz - would this even run on here?

The linux man pages! - At least in a pnd! It's not linux without man, info, and wtf.

there's a couple things I'm forgetting that I'll edit in later, but yeah that's my wishlist. Anything still missing by the time I figure out how to port I'll work on myself, but any help would be really great!

EDIT: Wanted to add that opkg repo has nautilus-cd-burner, and when i installed it, it pulled in gnome libs and used about 100MB of the NAND, leaving my with 9MB left. And, it doesn't seem to work. There's no menu entry, probably meant to be called from nautilus file manager, and when run via console it says "Unable to create CD/DVD -- no file was selected". I tried specifying a file on the commandline but same error. Possibly requires iso or some specific format? No man pages on here so I have no idea. Anyway sorry for the giant post.

thanks,

- trix

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured out the command-line argument to make nautilus-cd-burner work, which is:

nautilus-cd-burner --source-iso=/path/to/the\ iso.iso

(also --source-cue= for bin/cue)

but you have to prepare an iso (or bin/cue) ahead of time by other means. Doesn't matter though because even when it works, it wont actually burn. I discovered that it's just a front-end to cdrdao just like k3b, so until cdrdao is ported none of these guis will work.

grr i really need to figure out this porting business

I figured out the command-line argument to make nautilus-cd-burner work, which is:

nautilus-cd-burner --source-iso=/path/to/the\ iso.iso

(also --source-cue= for bin/cue)

but you have to prepare an iso (or bin/cue) ahead of time by other means. Doesn't matter though because even when it works, it wont actually burn. I discovered that it's just a front-end to cdrdao just like k3b, so until cdrdao is ported none of these guis will work.

grr i really need to figure out this porting business

Brasero has been ported.

Thank you for your suggestion, I didn't realize I missed anything. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to work. It runs, but it detects no cdrom at all, not for reading or burning or anything. dmesg says it was detected and set up fine, i can access cds and dvds within xfce just fine, but brasero seems to be completely blind to it.

But progress!

- trix

Hi, I ported it, but I don't have an external cdrom, so I can't test it.

Would you please post your experiences here:

Include the output from dmesg and from pndrunbrasero_out from the /tmp/ folder after running.

Did you plug in your cdrom before or after starting brasero? Do you have a CDburner with an external powersupply or do you need a second USB Port? Can you read data from CDs in XFCE? Is there an icon displayed and the medium mounted?

Currently I would say it is in Beta State.

ISO image creation worked though.

I'd say that the biggest lack currently is of any program to record audio from the microphone. Like Audacity, or Jokosher.

What do you need GIMP for? If it's for painting rather than editing, use MyPaint instead; it's better.

A simple image-editing program is indeed missing, though. The current GIMP port cannot open bitmap files.

I've heard that in MilkyTracker, you can use the Pandora keyboard to play notes:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/57612-remember-the-only-2-keyboard-buttons-at-once-limitation/

I've never used tracker programs before, though, so I haven't figured out what to do.

For Gimp you can try to install it though Debian. It should work OK. I have Lyx and openoffice installed this way.

What I mean exactly is this:

It's called Pandebian and you can put run Debian on a SDcard within the Pandora OS.

For simple image retouche stuff you can use fotoxx. Or evern mtpaint.

Hi, I ported it, but I don't have an external cdrom, so I can't test it.

Would you please post your experiences here:

Include the output from dmesg and from pndrunbrasero_out from the /tmp/ folder after running.

Did you plug in your cdrom before or after starting brasero? Do you have a CDburner with an external powersupply or do you need a second USB Port? Can you read data from CDs in XFCE? Is there an icon displayed and the medium mounted?

Currently I would say it is in Beta State.

ISO image creation worked though.

Hi!

Thank you for porting Brasero!

I was going to post this in the thread you have linked, except upon further testing I have come to the conclusion that the problem lies not with brasero (so far) but with installing and using the drive itself.

The statement I made earlier that xfce can read cds and dvds just fine is wholly incorrect. Turns out my quick assumption, when inserting a blank disc and seeing dmesg detect the insertion, was wrong. Had I waited a second or two longer prior to running dmesg I would have seen the following:

Code:
[95230.530883] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0

[95230.536071] __ratelimit: 99 callbacks suppressed

[95230.540740] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0

[95230.546386] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1

[95230.552001] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2

[95230.557647] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 3

[95230.563262] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 4

[95230.568908] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 5

[95230.574523] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 6

[95230.580139] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 7

[95230.585754] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 8

[95230.591400] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 9

[95230.629333] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 240

[95230.637451] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0

[95278.418884] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1385344

[95278.424560] __ratelimit: 23 callbacks suppressed

[95278.429229] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 173168

[95278.447875] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1385344

[95278.453552] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 173168

[95278.465515] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1385496

[95278.471191] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 173187

[95278.482818] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1385496

[95278.488525] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 173187

[95278.511413] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0

and on and on for many more lines. This occurs with a blank disc as well as an audio cd and a data cd. Furthermore, this only happens upon inserting a disc, as an empty drive when first plugged in still appears to be detected and set up as /dev/sr0 correctly.

Thus, when I insert a disc, nothing appears on the desktop, the media is not mounted, and attempting to mount manually via command-line with '-t auto' results in a segmentation fault, while trying '-t iso9660' results in:

Code:
mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail  or so

which is an error I've only seen when mistakingly specifying an incorrect filesystem as a mount option. Keep in mind, however, that the only disc I have available right at this moment is an audio cd, and I'm not certain if audio cds are truly iso9660 fs, so that particular error could be PEBCAK.

When I get home (I'm at my University at the moment) I will make a new thread specifically for usb external dvd writers, if you guys think that is a good idea.

Also my dvd writer has it's own power cord, so it is plugged in separately and not drawing power via usb. I do not have a hub however, so the dvd writer is plugged directly into the USB 2.0 host port on the Pandora. It is an HP model dvd1270e if that helps.

Anything else please let me know, and I apologize for the length of my post. If it makes you feel any better, I posted this from my Pandora, which was kind of a pain in the ass for a post like this. Though, it was quicker and easier then I expected this type of post (with copy&paste from dmesg etc) to be.

Thanks again for any and all help! You guys are great!

- trix

Back