The Software Suggestion Thread

Klaue

Hey there

I occasionally get ideas on programs that would be great to have on the pandora. Not allready existing programs that should be ported, mind you, but new stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

So I thought, why not make a thread to collect such ideas just in case a dev gets bored?

I begin with mine:

- Cheat Engine

See thread

Basically, it would be a cheat program for the Pandora (and Linux in general, since it lacks it) with the basic features of Cheat Engine (the advanced features like disassembling would be a bit too much). Scanmem's code could be used as a help.

I allready made a start with a basic C++-Qt-GUI with the ability to chose a program by a list of those running (not much, I know), but I have no idea when I'd have the time and desire to work on this again, so if anyone would want to give it a try, you can ask me for the sources. Screenshot

(note that I first wanted to make a direct translation of scanmem to object-oriented, which diddn't work that good and produced weird, ugly code, so it would probably be better to delete everything but the GUI and start anew - at least, I would do that if I worked on it again :) )

- PND Updater

See thread

Just a way to update and maybe install the PNDs similar to using apt (but without packages and dependencies).

There's allready SUPA, which could be extended for it.

Basically, the way I envision it, it would be a three-parter command line tool. "apndt update" would download the version list from the server, "apndt upgrade" for downloading/installing the upgrades and "apndt install" for downloading and installing new apps. One could also put in a remove option, but since you can just delete the file..

Building a graphical front-end on top of that (like synap(nd)tic) would be not much of a problem, too.

- Game loader

Inspired by this thread:

A mame-like frontend that would load a list of your games of all emulators and would automatically launch the right emulator-PND, possibly with a way to download one if not present (should be easy with the updater above).

It would be awesome if you could choose between the normal mame-lookalike and a full-screen-frontend like Hyperspin, but just changing hyperspin in a way to work with PNDs would also be possible (assuming it is open-source (they want you to have a forum account to even see the download page) and that you could get it to run on linux/pandoras hardware)

A simpler full-screen-frontend would probably work even better, because video-preview of games could maybe lag a bit on the pandora ;)

Soo.. what were your program ideas?

PS: If there's allready such a thread, please just delete this one. I couldn't find one, though

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for PND-APT. If there isn't one, standard setup it should be MANDATORY that all pnds that go on the ...ugh...'app store' (vomit!) need to auto-update themselves(with user confirmation, of course). When I start making PNDs, i'll whip up some bash/wget/md5sum(it's quick, and it's not being used for integrity) kung-foo ;)

I'd like to see some xfce themes optimised for the Pandora's low-res screen.

And more rpgs, can't go wrong with a good rpg ;) . I belive someone was working on an (possibly not pandora related, I don't remember) mmorpg, hmm, who was that? Argh ;) .

Well, I too am working on an mmorpg, but being mmo isn't a key feature, nor is a release planeed for the near future - and YES i'm capable of it, my base engine works so far, but there's no networking(yet! I has plans! Like, code plans!). In fact, I just added collisions to the game engine, added the variables for them (editor and game) ages ago tho ;) . But I believe my map editor is awesome in a true doublebeta way. ;) .

I'm working on a top-down shooter. I'm hoping to make it flexible (just not crazy flexible) so maybe it could be turned into a tower defense game. I'm afraid it's on hold at the moment due to other obligations and I'm not sure if it's what people are looking for, but it's just an FYI that something is in development.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56858-guns-action-mayhem-etc/

I think Eniko is working on an MMO, but that could be on hold while she works on that one game. She keeps her project status in her signature if I remember correctly.

Loved playing Mr. Driller on Dingux. Anyone else dig that? Please give more than one life though, that port was tough, one man dead and game over.

Please!

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Loved playing Mr. Driller on Dingux. Anyone else dig that? Please give more than one life though, that port was tough, one man dead and game over.

Please!

Peace & Pandora,

Link

I remember seeing a clone (and a video!) on the other boards a long time ago.

Back