Release sodarunner

dunno about the different buttons
hmm... so no use of the cursor keys either? Jump is up?

he's sweating out everything he drinks
rofl...

About the music... that is something personal, it will give character to your game, so I think you need to chose it yourself.
Personally, I'd go for chiptune-eske music, but something not that old and retro, maybe a IT or XM module. Myself, I like an upbeat rhythm like Oberheim Power remix by Phantomas (opower-rmx, which I can not find on the web anymore)... and if I could... I wouldn't know if it is allowed by the author:
https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=50003

But ask L0ra for music...

hmm... so no use of the cursor keys either? Jump is up?
for my test scenario, i put it on X and DPad left (i'm switching hands while eating/drinking/smoking, so i have the button layout on both sides of the pandora) :) i plan on putting the buttons in the config so people can edit them :3

About the music... that is something personal, it will give character to your game, so I think you need to chose it yourself.
i'm sure i might find something in the free music archive :D it's pretty hard to decide on something, so i'm open to suggestions regarding music :) even if it doesn't fit, at least i might get some nice music for my playlist :>

update! :D
made a small cutscene (plays once every time you start the game; you can skip it by pressing start) that explains what's going on :3 the colors are pretty dark at the moment; i'll change that soon.
also, difficulties! :3 the hardest one counts the dude's current favorite brand only. that mode is imba as hell, but if you're bored with the other modes, try it out :)

general hint: leave the red machine alone until the dude wants to drink it ;)

currently working on:
- SFX (almost complete, but since it's irritating to not have SFX at some points, i left them out for this update)
- music
- obstacles (dude can slide under tables and jump over trashcans lying on the floor right now, but the timings are so off that the animations make me giggle every time i see them)
- balancing

EDIT: i fiddled around with the PXML so now the repo entry looks, well, screwed up ._. i'll fix that.

obstacles_screen_by_chielo-daeqofc.png

soon :D
there's some obscure bug left that messes up the positions of collision sometimes (aka, your button press timing is correct, but the guy still collides with the obstacle).

update! with obstacles and sfx! :D the guy has a shadow now because jumping looked very weird without one.
obstacle spawning: on stage 4 on easy, stage 2 on normal, stage 1 on hard and on stage 2 on favs only.
i brightened up some colors too so you don't have to crank up your pandora's screen brightness :)

intensely working on:
- music
- obstacle spawning balancing (i'm thinking about having only one obstacle type the first few stages, then adding the other one)
- visual feedback for the special machines (example: polar beer (light blue one) gets a "frozen screen" effect so the player can tell that the stuff is cooling the character down)

if you notice anything strange or have suggestions, tell me :)

Did you fix the tearing I used to get? I gave the new version a go, and didn't notice any, but that may just be coincidence.

Also, pndmanager behaved a bit oddly with respect to this PND. It said it has been updated today, and I knew I hadn't updated to the latest version, but on navigating to its page it acted as if I had. But uninstalling it and reinstalling it got me a game with sound effects and the screen above your last post so I guess that's the latest version.

I wonder if there's a neat way to show all of the controls on one screen. Your initial screen after the starting sketch only shows the drink button, which initially confused me until the next screen came up detailing the additional controls. I guess therefore I wasn't very confused for very long, but still I reckon it'd be nicer if all active controls are labelled on the one screen, then the next screen could detail what they do (as the current graphic does well).

The sound effects have clarified that I tend to press the drink button slightly too early to hit a machine, but since I spam the button to drink as much as possible, the next press hits it.

I also wonder what the best strategy is. Even on easy mode in level 2 it's possible that you wait for your preferred drink but it doesn't appear for a few screens, and then you drink it and it's only got one drink in it, and then you die. Your hint not to drink red machines unless it's your favoured brand is helpful, but I'll have to experiment with others to work out if there's a way past that point.

Your new colours make red and pink a little close, at least on my TV out only Pandora. But I was still able to differentiate when both were on screen at the same time, so it didn't actually cause any problems.

But overall this version is much more like a game I want to keep playing, so keep up the good work!

@levi yup, i got rid of the vsync issue :) now there's some jittery movement going on sometimes (probably caused by my horribly unoptimized code).

uh oh, maybe i messed up the versioning in the pxml and pndmanager doesn't like it... i'll update the package later if that's the case.

I'll give the whole UI/menu/mini-manual an overhaul :) The button screen looks messy with all the lines anyway (didn't know how to do it better when I made it) :D

Unless you play on "Favs only" (which still needs a lot of balancing), you can drink anything (except maybe the red machines). But I'll take a look at the parameters that regulate fav spawning since on Easy, they shouldn't go down that fast :eek:

Funny, I sometimes have a hard time to tell the dark brown and the red machine apart :D I thought about giving each machine a unique "style" (like one being very tall, another having some more decoration on it). Maybe that would make it easier to tell them apart? :)

Ah, and thanks for the long (and useful) post! :) And of course for playing my tiny game :D

EDIT: Fixed the versioning, so updates should go smoothly now :)

Last edited:
That would not be very retro, where all vending machines are the same, except the color...
Probably not... But I already cheated on the retro part and, instead of re-coloring the same sprite all the time, I have one machine sprite for each brand ;) The ogg files blew the project's size up to over 1MB anyway, so a slightly larger png doesn't worry me much (as long as I can backup it onto the NAND occasionally, I'm happy).
I tried stretching the machines by code, but that looked more like a glitch than a feature xD Guess I'll go with tweaking the hue and brightness instead :)

update! still no music (so sorry :'()
but, new mini-manual and better obstacle handling :3

Back