So You Think It's Taken Too Long ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nation.A.List

I read this article over on carrypad.com and right up-front was the following snippet.

"About a year ago, we went to Amsterdam to get some hands on with an interesting device. It was the Archos 5 and it was interesting because it was one of the first devices to use an advanced platform from Texas Instruments"

Bearing in mind that Archos had previous models to work from, it's still taken them and all their $$$ around a year to release their Archos 5 Internet Tablet onto the market. I reckon this makes what OP are doing with the Pandora pretty special.

EDIT: Trimmed quote to highlight a shared component between the two devices.

Dunno.
Apples and oranges?
Read it three times, still don't understand.
Wrong section?
*walks off, shakes head*

mali said:
Give it time.

mali said:
Apples and oranges?
New handheld MID type device using TI's OMAP chip. Apples & pears........ maybe

mali said:
Read it three times, still don't understand.
I don't understand, what you don't understand :p

mali said:
Wrong section?
Comparing Pandora gestation period to alternative device = Right section?

mali said:
*walks off, shakes head*
Mind it doesn't fall off. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Help me understand. Make a list of similarities, I'll make a list of differences.
Wait, that's boring.

mali said:
Help me understand. Make a list of similarities, I'll make a list of differences.
Wait, that's boring.
Jeez, I'm not claiming the're alike in all aspects, just saying that this 'type' of device takes time to get from the drawing board to the market even if you have $$$ to throw at it.

Yeah, like a christmas goose :p
Sorry that I'm crashing your thread, but really, they are both a piece of electronics, but that's about it. Any device takes time, most companies don't tell it, no other company involves a community designing it.

Nation.A.List said:
I'm ... just saying that this 'type' of device takes time to get from the drawing board to the market even if you have $$$ to throw at it.

Then - why not just say it? Exactly like that. Ideally in response to someone who has just indicated that it's easy and/or quick to put a device of this nature together, rather than making a new thread that says "Archos 05 5 - eh? Eh? Nudge nudge wink wink. Eh?".

Personally, after a little joint development work between my wife and I, I'm amazed at what my wife managed to develop in just 9 months. The complexity is amazing, and was delivered far faster than Pandora was. I didn't have to pre-pay, but it looks like my post-payment is going to go on and on and on and on and... but producing a whole human being in just 9 months - THAT's crazy good work, right there!

Monk said:
Personally, after a little joint development work between my wife and I, I'm amazed at what my wife managed to develop in just 9 months. The complexity is amazing, and was delivered far faster than Pandora was. I didn't have to pre-pay, but it looks like my post-payment is going to go on and on and on and on and... but producing a whole human being in just 9 months - THAT's crazy good work, right there!
Ahhhhhh.......... but you did have to leave a deposit :p

omg they delayed prey for like 3 years. its just like pandora roesofkdgdfhg

The archos 5 which was announced last year was released last year. It's just a media player. The archos 5 Internet tablet thingy is a totally different device and was only announced this year.

It's also possible that Archos has been working with a platform like the Beagle Board since it came out so just because you didn't hear about it until Archos told you about it doesn't mean they weren't working on it before hand either.

If the OP team announced the Pandora today and told you it will ship in a month would you think 'Wow, they designed, tested, and wrote the software for that device really fast!'

Also, reading review on the Archos 5 they released it TOO soon, it wasn't really done, they should have worked on it a little longer.

I don't think I've heard anyone claim it was easy or underestimate just how much work that OP has done.
I think it's the continuous we're almost done, it's just a month or two away that people found grating.
Personally I always believed them as I had no reason not to (turning blind eye to when it was said previously all the other times, as there was sometimes good reasons given)
But I'm still surviving on blind faith :D

Come to think of it.
Not true I have heard people say it, the defence force always some how makes that comment on the wingers behalf :lol:

Considering the opening poster got his wires crossed and mixed up the Archos 5 Media Player with the Archos 5 Internet Tablet, the thread is pointless so ..............closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back