So Long To My Wiz

rollingharoo

Still Fresh
After only a few months of owning a GP2X Wiz, I've finally decided to sell it. Hardware-wise, it just doesn't stand up to my expectations for long-term use. Solid emulation, being able to play PS1 games, awesome touch screen, and Animatch were what won me over with the Wiz, but the inability to play while charging without getting screen burn(I kid you not, I had a nightmare about that happening to me :lol: ) as well as the possibility of eventually getting screen rot forced me to get most of my money back. I was luckily able to sell it quickly on eBay for roughly $150, with plenty of accessories included. I would've linked the auction to you guys, but I'm sure you guys would've preferred the Caanoo instead right? :lol: In the mean time, I shall leave my open-source needs to my one-of-a-kind F100.

Well, don't get a Dingoo or you'll never sleep :)

rolling_haro said:
After only a few months of owning a GP2X Wiz, I've finally decided to sell it. Hardware-wise, it just doesn't stand up to my expectations for long-term use. Solid emulation, being able to play PS1 games, awesome touch screen, and Animatch were what won me over with the Wiz, but the inability to play while charging without getting screen burn(I kid you not, I had a nightmare about that happening to me :lol: ) as well as the possibility of eventually getting screen rot forced me to get most of my money back. I was luckily able to sell it quickly on eBay for roughly $150, with plenty of accessories included. I would've linked the auction to you guys, but I'm sure you guys would've preferred the Caanoo instead right? :lol: In the mean time, I shall leave my open-source needs to my one-of-a-kind F100.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a good time to sell. It looks like ThinkGeek no longer has it listed, and they're selling the Caanoo for $170 (when they were selling the Wiz for $100) and they have the A320 (Dingoo?) listed as out of stock at $120.

I hadn't heard anything about screen burn while charging - where is there info on that? It not convenient to play while charging anyways, though, because the connector is so big and attaches at the bottom.

My plan is to run my Wiz to death and then see what the state of the open handhelds market/community is before deciding what to replace it with. Right now it'd be a choice between Caanoo and Pandora, but it might take years before my Wiz is no longer any good.

HunterZ said:
I hadn't heard anything about screen burn while charging - where is there info on that? It not convenient to play while charging anyways, though, because the connector is so big and attaches at the bottom.

According to a few posts on this forum, if you keep the Wiz on while charging it (i.e. have an emulator running) for more than roughly 3-4 hours or more, it will cause screen burn. Imagine playing a game of Animatch and looking at a screenshot of your last game of Pokemon at the same time.

rolling_haro said:
HunterZ said:

According to a few posts on this forum, if you keep the Wiz on while charging it (i.e. have an emulator running) for more than roughly 3-4 hours or more, it will cause screen burn. Imagine playing a game of Animatch and looking at a screenshot of your last game of Pokemon at the same time.

That's only if you leave a static image on the screen. If you're actually PLAYING the game, you shouldn't have a problem.

There's no way I'd let any device sit with a static image on the screen that long while charging. I always turn them off (or at least their displays) so that they'll charge faster.

I play my Wiz so much that I have to charge it daily (recovering from surgery and have mental problems and no job...lol) and I play it a lot while charging and have had no burn in issues.

Sorry to hear your Wiz is dying again. That sucks. I must say I almost consider them disposable. I've already had to send mine in for a broken button and I think another button is starting to wear out as well. If mine does die, I will be very sad but probably will go for a Caanoo or something if I can afford it. I don't like the button design on the Wiz and can't believe how cheaply it's made. But I love it and have gotten tons of fun play time out of it.

darklight1138 said:
I play my Wiz so much that I have to charge it daily (recovering from surgery and have mental problems and no job...lol) and I play it a lot while charging and have had no burn in issues.

Sorry to hear your Wiz is dying again. That sucks. I must say I almost consider them disposable. I've already had to send mine in for a broken button and I think another button is starting to wear out as well. If mine does die, I will be very sad but probably will go for a Caanoo or something if I can afford it. I don't like the button design on the Wiz and can't believe how cheaply it's made. But I love it and have gotten tons of fun play time out of it.

I actually liked the button layout on the Wiz. I just wish someone made an fps game where the second d-pad was utilized for looking/aiming.

jmetal88 said:
rolling_haro said:
HunterZ said:

That's only if you leave a static image on the screen. If you're actually PLAYING the game, you shouldn't have a problem.
Yeah, actually charging it makes no difference. It looks like you sold your Wiz mostly out of fear, which sucks because it's a great handheld if you put in even just a tiny bit of effort to take care of it.

Reo said:
jmetal88 said:
rolling_haro said:
HunterZ said:

Yeah, actually charging it makes no difference. It looks like you sold your Wiz mostly out of fear, which sucks because it's a great handheld if you put in even just a tiny bit of effort to take care of it.
Yeah, I guess you could say I sold it out of fear, but it's not like I didn't take care of it. I wouldn't have gotten my money back selling it if I swung that thing around like a flail everywhere. :lol: I can at least say that I got my share of fun out of the Wiz. PS1 emulation on that thing was just flat-out sexy IMO.

I should've just stuck with my F100 in the first place for my open-source gaming and dev needs. I might get a Caanoo in the future, most likely an OpenPandora if I have the money then. Maybe GPH will come out with a new handheld by that time. In the meantime, I got my modded PSP Go. :D

I haven't tried PSX games on my Wiz for a few reasons:
- I didn't expect it to work particularly well given the speed issues with SNES and Sega 32X emulation (sounds like it may be more promising than I thought, however).
- I figured I'd get frustrated trying to deal with the lack of analog sticks and L2/R2 buttons.
- I had a modchipped PSX in college and got burned out on PSX games :)

HunterZ said:
I haven't tried PSX games on my Wiz for a few reasons:
- I didn't expect it to work particularly well given the speed issues with SNES and Sega 32X emulation (sounds like it may be more promising than I thought, however).
- I figured I'd get frustrated trying to deal with the lack of analog sticks and L2/R2 buttons.
- I had a modchipped PSX in college and got burned out on PSX games :)

Yeah, lack of proper controls made it a hassle for a lot of PSX games, but after a few tweaks I was able to get games like Castlevania: SOTN and Mega Man X4 running almost perfectly. I've never had any trouble emulating SNES and Sega games on my Wiz, though I did have some trouble with a few GBA games *cough* GOLDEN SUN *cough* *cough*.

I would honestly be using my Wiz more, but the headphone out problem really kills it. Too bad GPH never fixed it in it's lifecycle, and left a nasty stereo separation problem intact.

lnx64 said:
I would honestly be using my Wiz more, but the headphone out problem really kills it. Too bad GPH never fixed it in it's lifecycle, and left a nasty stereo separation problem intact.

I know the Wiz is a jack of all trades but the Audio features should be much better, Thats one area the Dingoo Blows away the Wiz, My dingoo has great audio with tons of features both in native and dingux, lots of eq presets including user defined, output type, 3d sounds, treble boosts, bass boosts ,music search and double headphone out. Goes nice and loud too.

Much of the muddiness in the sound on the Wiz is due to the channel separation problem too..

rolling_haro said:
Yeah, lack of proper controls made it a hassle for a lot of PSX games, but after a few tweaks I was able to get games like Castlevania: SOTN and Mega Man X4 running almost perfectly.

Do you remember how you got SOTN to work, what settings you used? I never could get it to work at all.

darklight1138 said:
rolling_haro said:
Yeah, lack of proper controls made it a hassle for a lot of PSX games, but after a few tweaks I was able to get games like Castlevania: SOTN and Mega Man X4 running almost perfectly.

Do you remember how you got SOTN to work, what settings you used? I never could get it to work at all.

I don't exactly remember. I found someone's PCSX4all settings somewhere on this forum when I was trying to get it running on my Wiz, so I would go from there.

As for in-game controls, the analog nubs won't be a problem for the game, but the L2/R2 buttons would be a bit of a problem. One workaround I did was changing the button configuration in the game menu. So for my settings, I would set L1 to transform into mist, R1 to be a bat, and L2 or R2 to be a wolf since I never use that transformation. :lol: If I changed my mind later, I could reconfigure the buttons in the game menu. :D

Back