So.. If It Can Run On Linux?

cinicraft

Still Fresh
if there is a program that can run on linux, does that mean you can also get it to run on the pandora?

I have a small list of great games for ubuntu

If it is open-source, doesn't need x86-specific code (eg. assembly), doesn't use openGL, and Pandora's performance is enough for it, then yes, the application can most probably be compiled for, and run on, the Pandora with relatively little trouble.
If it's closed-source, then tough luck.
If it needs/is partially written in x86-assembly-code, then that'll need to be rewritten.
OpenGL-code will need to be rewritten/refactored to openGL-ES.

Laurencevde said:
If it is open-source, doesn't need x86-specific code (eg. assembly), doesn't use openGL or DirectX, and Pandora's performance is enough for it, then yes, the application can most probably be compiled for, and run on, the Pandora with relatively little trouble.
If it's closed-source, then tough luck.
If it needs/is partially written in x86-assembly-code, then that'll need to be rewritten.
OpenGL-code will need to be rewritten/refactored to openGL-ES.
OpenGL can be refactored to OGLES, but it can't use DirectX either, as that's obviously Windows-specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
http://www.gliffy.com/publish/1448256/

based off that chart, will GTA China Wars work on the pandora? considering its an iphone app, but also a DS/PSP game..

Also be mindful of requirements of the UI ... many games are assuming 800x600 and up, or 1024x768 and up; so may clip off the bottom of a vanilla UI, so source would need alteration. Some games scale or reconfigure their UI etc, but its another factor.

jeff

Kalico17 said:
mali said:

based off that chart, will GTA China Wars work on the pandora? considering its an iphone app, but also a DS/PSP game..
"Is it an open source program?"

As Urjaman said you need SOURCE CODE (Legitimately) to even try get it to run.

kingoddball said:
Or an open minded and interested closed source development team.

Speaking of which, if people are going to ask developers for Pandora ports of games or programs, it would make sense to include that most of the code in such a port would also run on the N900, Pre, Droid, and possibly iPhone. To sweeten the deal.

WizardStan said:
kingoddball said:
Or an open minded and interested closed source development team.
Or a 1337 h4xx0r and a good lawyer to save your ass once you steal their delicious sauce.

mali said:
What about kernel drivers / options? Does the kernel have all the same features on ARM as the x86 version?

It is running a full Linux 2.6.whatever kernel, so it shouldn't be a problem there, as long as all the drivers are in order. It should just appear to the application as if it's running on a plain computer... just with a lower resolution touch screen and lower specs than a full desktop.

The systems really aren't as horribly different as people make it seem. MOST port jobs will just be a simple compile and the majority of crap is probably already on angstrom. The only times it will be different are what's been mentioned here.

I guess the big difference people will notice is that it won't run Windows-only stuff.

Good. I am hoping to be able to port my app over, the only real hurdle is that it depends on the FTDI virtual com port drivers in the kernel.

lulzfish said:
crade said:
Good. I am hoping to be able to port my app over, the only real hurdle is that it depends on the FTDI virtual com port drivers in the kernel.
COM ports? Why?

It lets the USB port act as a COM port.. FTDI makes a chip that they stick in devices that were made to work with a COM port to let them use USB instead, and the kernel driver lets you send COM commands to your USB port (more or less)

my app controls the copynes, it is for dumping nes games from the cartridges and it uses one of those FTDI chips.

As the chips are USB devices, I'd imagine the drivers are included already.
Otherwise, they could probably be compiled in quite easily to test, and maybe included in a later image.

I'm sure there are some people who'd like to play NES games straight off the original cartridge. :p

Back