So I Just Bought One Of These Things....

FooB

Still Fresh
i went through with it and bought one about 20 minutes ago, hopefully tomorrow will be the day. but is there anything i should really need to know or do when i first get it? like any "essential" software that i should be getting and things like that?

well, i honestly bought this thing to generally act as an mp4 player that just "happened" to play games, but i will admit that im a heavy gamer and i do like to playing classic snes/md games (a lot) hence why i thought the gp2x would be right for me. however, in my experience things usually arent just that simple, especially when it comes to homebrew and things like that.

Oh, i also bought the TV out cable, naturally.

Oh and if you get it with firmware 3.0, downgrade to 2.1.1, it's better..
(Firmware 3.0 only has disadvantages, except for the "fancy" new interface)
(Of course, if you get it with firmware below 2.1.1, upgrade it to 2.1.1)

My top 10

(yeah, completely original, i know ;) )

and yeah, look up the stuff you want, theres a vast variety of homebrew (for the most part) and tons of great emus, so yeah, pick what ya like

honestly, this may be the case but im sure 3.0 will work juust fine for now until i get a bit more familiar with the device. i meabn, it hasnt even been delivered yet. id say its far too early to screw about with firmware. ill probably end up bricking it.

*EDIT* is there anything i should get that i can use to generally "show off"? i mean, i know about Payback but is there anything else that truely pushes the limis of what the system can do? im gonna need something to make it look pimp with :)

Gba, cps2, and sega cd emulation push the 2x to the limits, but if you want something that looks nice, check out Airplyr, Noiz2sa, Thruster, Vektar and Alex.'s tower Defense game (which is in development)

what size SD card do you have/ are you getting?

if its 2gb or bigger than download the monster pack (Google it...or just PM me for an address)

it has a ton of stuff on it and you don't have to think to hard.

you might update some of the emulators though.

FooB posted on Mar 13 2007 at 11:40 PM said:
honestly, this may be the case but im sure 3.0 will work juust fine for now until i get a bit more familiar with the device. i meabn, it hasnt even been delivered yet. id say its far too early to screw about with firmware. ill probably end up bricking it.

*EDIT* is there anything i should get that i can use to generally "show off"? i mean, i know about Payback but is there anything else that truely pushes the limis of what the system can do? im gonna need something to make it look pimp with :)

Nova posted on Mar 13 2007 at 11:23 PM said:
My personal top 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Claym99 posted on Mar 13 2007 at 08:00 PM said:
what size SD card do you have/ are you getting?

if its 2gb or bigger than download the monster pack (Google it...or just PM me for an address)

it has a ton of stuff on it and you don't have to think to hard.

you might update some of the emulators though.
I agree, those MonsterPacks are VERY well thought out, they set everything up for you and always come with a great selection of games. I often download them just when I'm feeling lazy and am wanting to play some new games.

FooB posted on Mar 13 2007 at 04:14 PM said:
i went through with it and bought one about 20 minutes ago, hopefully tomorrow will be the day. but is there anything i should really need to know or do when i first get it? like any "essential" software that i should be getting and things like that?
make sure your batteries are good, it's almost 100% likely for you to turn on your gp2x and it will fuck up..
it WILL be the batteries, don't make a "i just bought a 2x and it dosen't work" thread, assume it's your batts and try a pair of 2500mah or regualar (non-rechargeable) ones

good luck

TelcoLou posted on Mar 13 2007 at 06:10 PM said:
Thank gravy purple_goat was here to bold-type all that :)
Thank goodness telcolou was there to mention it ;)

Yet nobody picked up on the fact that PG just recommended non-rechargable batteries?

Stick with the rechargable ones.

im not really worried about batteries for the time being. i wont really buy a set of rechargeable ones, ill just use the 4 that come with the gp2x, if they dont work however. i own a Wii, and along with it i bought this huuuuge pack of AA batteries for my wiimotes. i have a tin with about 70-odd AA batteries left in it. if i need some more, ill ebay some good ones.

*EDIT* Also, someone i know just told me he bought one of these back in late 2005, and it was shipped from a location that i apparently live right next door to. so hopefully it should arrive here rather prompt if they still reside there. score.

Back