Snes Emu Question

e_b

Still Fresh
I can find info that answers pretty much all my questions, I'm considering upgrading from a GP2X to a Wiz...Pilot Wings is completely unplayable on GP2X and F-Zero is 'OK' at best (altho I need to look at tweeking).

So, can I expect now (or maybe 'coming soon' a playable Pilot Wings with sound?

Thanks in advance

I just tested both for you. I'm running the latest Wiz firmware and most recent emulator.

F-Zero works great. Overclocked at 800mhz I got full speed and sound 55-60 FPS with transparencies turned off.
(Although, I don't think there are any reasons you need transparencies in this game, transparencies makes the health bar more visible but I don't think they had any other use so its negligible, but I thought I would note transparencies did slow it down)

Pilotwings on the other hand is still unplayable in my opinion. The game chugs at about 15 FPS even when overclocked. I managed to get around 30 FPS with the sound off but the frame rate isn't steady and jumps around too much to play imo.

-EDIT-
I just tested F-Zero GP Legend for GBA which also runs great, just thought I'd toss that in there if you're a big F-Zero fan.

MiOdd said:
I just tested both for you. I'm running the latest Wiz firmware and most recent emulator.

F-Zero works great. Overclocked at 800mhz I got full speed and sound 55-60 FPS with transparencies turned off.
(Although, I don't think there are any reasons you need transparencies in this game, transparencies makes the health bar more visible but I don't think they had any other use so its negligible, but I thought I would note transparencies did slow it down)

Pilotwings on the other hand is still unplayable in my opinion. The game chugs at about 15 FPS even when overclocked. I managed to get around 30 FPS with the sound off but the frame rate isn't steady and jumps around too much to play imo.

-EDIT-
I just tested F-Zero GP Legend for GBA which also runs great, just thought I'd toss that in there if you're a big F-Zero fan.

And may i ask one thing?
Super Mario RPG work on the emulator?
Cause i have on it, but it show black screen, nothing happen!

Last edited by a moderator:
kyo saebaDX said:
MiOdd said:

-EDIT-

And may i ask one thing?

It doesnt work on fast pocket snes . And on the pocketsnes.gpe it runs like crap

thanks - its a real shame about Pilot Wings :(

Still, it's better than 3/5 FPS that I currently get! lol

varan77 said:
kyo saebaDX said:
And may i ask one thing?

It doesnt work on fast pocket snes . And on the pocketsnes.gpe it runs like crap

Super Mario RPG is playable on pocketsnes.gpe if you overclock to 800, put the sound at mono (the Wiz speakers are not that great anyways). I get about 45-60 fps depending. It can slow down if there are lots of guys on screen but the battles are always full speed.

Pilotwings used to be playable on the Gp2x on the older versions of Pocketsnes released by me, I think at some point a change has been made which has screwed the performance up does anyone have the source code for the Wiz version I could maybe have a look to see if I can find where things went wrong.

Reesy said:
Pilotwings used to be playable on the Gp2x on the older versions of Pocketsnes released by me, I think at some point a change has been made which has screwed the performance up does anyone have the source code for the Wiz version I could maybe have a look to see if I can find where things went wrong.

Go on Reesy -- you da man!!

Reesy said:

wow, if you could that would be amazing! thanks :eek:)

I've not been able to find the source code for the Wiz port, so there's not much I can do unfortunately. Its a shame when open source code is not open source ;)

Reesy said:
I've not been able to find the source code for the Wiz port, so there's not much I can do unfortunately. Its a shame when open source code is not open source ;)

The source code was released, maybe not the last one but i am sure that Headoverheels will send you the source if you ask him.

Reesy said:
Here you are the source code(6.5.0), courtesy of HeadOverHeels.

Anyway, pilotwings is running in PocketsnesFast if you turn off sound hack and if you use PAL version you get around 20 frames.

Some hours ago Headoverheels knowing about your petition Reesy has released the source:

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showpost.php?p=1037880&postcount=113

Rivroner said:
Anyway, pilotwings is running in PocketsnesFast if you turn off sound hack and if you use PAL version you get around 20 frames.

Some hours ago Headoverheels knowing about your petition Reesy has released the source:

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showpost.php?p=1037880&postcount=113

Ahh excellent, thanks. I've compared this source against mine and the possible cause of the performance problems is the DSP1EMU.C source file. If someone where to take a copy of DSP1EMU.C from one of my releases ( http://reesy.gp32x.de ) and replace the one is HeadOverHeels's version you should find pilotwings runs alot quicker...however some other games may run slower ( not confirmed this, I'm just guessing )

In the meantime I'll try to cobble together a wiz toolchain and build a *hack* version myself.

Later
Reesy

Reesy said:
I've compared this source against mine and the possible cause of the performance problems is the DSP1EMU.C source file. If someone where to take a copy of DSP1EMU.C from one of my releases ( http://reesy.gp32x.de ) and replace the one is HeadOverHeels's version you should find pilotwings runs alot quicker...however some other games may run slower ( not confirmed this, I'm just guessing )
You're right, but with this version Mario Kart runs slower (about 10 fps at 800 mhz).

Not for me, i like the two games a lot but if i have to choose i will choose Mario Kart :D

But i will use your special version for Pilotwings if you release it some day :)

In last Headoverheels version Super Mario Kart is runnig over 40 frames all the time, and most time around 50. It is gloriuos to see it running in the Wiz screen :)

Reesy said:

Please please please tell me you're still considering perfecting PocketSNES on the Wiz :)

Please? :)

Hamburglar said:
Reesy said:

Please please please tell me you're still considering perfecting PocketSNES on the Wiz :)

Please? :)

Nope, I was just surprised to hear Pilotwings was running so slowly when I can remember completing it on the Gizmondo. I have no intention to do any further work on Pocketsnes.

t270958511_7480.gif

Back