SMC Reader/Writer

M^4

Still Fresh
Website
users.adelphia.net
I just got my GP32 yesterday (May 27) and it is awesome. In preparation for its arrival, I bought an inexpensive SMC Reader/Writer from PNY, model FPTS-S. I purchased it at Best Buy in USA (here for BestBuy info). I tested it at home (pre-GP32) and all was well.

When I got my GP32 I put the SMC in and it said I needed to format it, so I did. I installed some stuff using PCLink and played around.

This morning I wanted to use the writer to copy over Doom and the new MP3 player. So I plugged in the reader, Windows XP saw it, made a drive D: for it. I put the SMC into the reader and click on the drive and it says insert a disk into drive D:. I put the SMC into the GP32 and it still works. I then figure well I will format it on the writer and put it into the GP32 to see if that makes a difference. I can't even format it (still thinks there is no disk).

So, I am assuming PNY sucks and I should spend a little more. Of course there was a rebate and since I saw it work earlier on my PC I went ahead and sent it in! Oh well..lesson learned...again...I will try it on another PC later today (4am here) and see if it is something else...

Questions I had were:

1. Should I be able to format an SMC in the GP32 or the reader and have the other still be able to read it? I.e. format it in the reader, copy some files and then the GP32 can read it? Or format in GP32, copy some files via PCLink and then the SMC reader can see it?

2. What SMC reader/writer do you have? I am in the USA so if you could provide a link to the place you bought it/model number/manufacturer, I'd appreciate it.

M^4
---
My name is M^4 and I'm a GPaholic.

If you have a good reader/writer (I believe it must support FAT-12/16?) it doesn't make any difference where you format it or where and how you transfer your files.

Safest option is to format it in your GP32 and only use your reader for reading/writing.

I have a Trust multi-cardreader which works like a charm. Costed 39 euro's. Well build quality, no problems at all.
I also have a Typhoon multi-cardreader. Costed 14,95 euros incl. usb extention cable. It's good for reading and writing but not formatting. Also gives weird errors under Windows 2000. Seems to work best under Windows 98.

VirtuaLeech posted on May 28 2003 said:
If you have a good reader/writer (I believe it must support FAT-12/16?)
How do you know it supports FAT12/16? I have not seen any reader/writer state that it does.

Thanks.

M^4
---
Hi. My name is M^4 and I'm a GPaholic.
Hi, M^4!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to follow-up on my situation.... The PNY is a piece of crap!

Liquidcross told me the model of reader he uses and I was able to buy it cheaply at the local CompUSA. And, it worked!

I do have another strange problem, though. :(

I have a 64MB SMC. No matter what I do, PCLink fails when it tries to format it. So, I format it in the reader, copy (from my PC) what I have on my 32MB SMC to the 64MB SMC and I can play all the files/games/etc on the 64MB. However, PCLink will still refuse to recognize it. Any ideas on that one?

Thanks.

Back