.smc File Type?

I don't have the money or a place to buy old games anymore Gamestop stoped carrying SNES and NES near me mad.gif and I think gen too mad.gif and I got ebay but that doesn't go to the company either anyways

even if the game isn't sold anymore, you don't have the right to make yourself a copy from an illegal source.
same with copyrighted music. in many forums people say, they were allowed to download an old LP as mp3-files, because it was released years ago as a limited edition and isn't sold anymore. but even then, the material is still copyrighted. even musicvideos on MTV or commercial shows. even if they run 10 times per day in the TV, you don't have the right to share them via P2P for example.

so, you have to decide one way or the other. doing "piracy" of old games because nobody cares about, or let it be. but please don't do it and then defent yourself with arguments like "it isn't sold anymore". ;)

but btw: why is it killing the community, if you copy games from entware? i fe. have never seen or played a game of entware in my life and i own my gp32 for 1,5 years now. some of you said, the games aren't even worth copying.
so how could that kill the gp32 community?

I would much rather buy a game then pirate it but I just do it because I want to play and I can't get it other wise and I don't like ebay because I always get out bidded besides that time I got my gp32 and my Zelda OST and Pitfall! for my 2600 and Bezerk for my 2600. I usually never check eBay too

EDIT: most gp32 commercial games suck anyway
ASR would be good if it was in english or atleast engrish

I can see a good and legal reason for cracking GP32 games. Say that you buy some game from one of those DL only sites. It is locked to one specific unit. Now say that you have more than one GP32 and want to play the game (like a NLU for outside and a BLU for inside) . The current way you would have to buy the game twice which is ridiculous or you could crack, or get a warez version to be able to run it on any unit you want. This is also the case if you bought a game for your old FLU and you upgrade to a BLU (or your unit breaks and you get a new one). Now how would you play the game that you already paid for on the new unit without a warez version? You can't without paying twice. I for one hate any DRM for that reason, it takes away the freedom to move your own games around.

as far as I know the cracked games still don't work on your gp32 w/out encrypting them to your smc/gp32

btu there probably is cracked games that are for all but the oen I got didn't work that way

hm..thats the license model entware (or joygp, or whatever) is using.
you bought one license of the game for one gp32 unit.
same with windows. if you have 3 pc's at home, you have to buy 3 licenses of windows. everything else is theoreticlly illegal. doesn't matter, if you bought one and copied to compared to a person who have bought none and just downloaded it. both ways are illegal.

DaveC posted on Apr 22 2005 at 01:17 AM said:
I can see a good and legal reason for cracking GP32 games. Say that you buy some game from one of those DL only sites. It is locked to one specific unit.

Exactly. My BLU broke - so I had NO regrets cracking the games.
Now they run on my BLU+ and NLU - though I never used the NLU after getting a BLU again ;)

Another problem I had to crack Blue Angelo:
I've got Slubman's Firmware on my GP32 - and unfortunately it doesn't work with SMC encrypted games. As I wanted to keep it, I had to decrypt the game.

DemonStar55 posted on Apr 22 2005 at 01:21 AM said:
as far as I know the cracked games still don't work on your gp32 w/out encrypting them to your smc/gp32

They are. As said, I cracked my originals myself and they work fine on every
GP32. But DON'T ask me to send them out or tell anybody how to do it...
And, No, sorry, I won't upload my cracked games at the File Archive ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Apr 21 2005 at 07:14 PM said:
damn you evildragon but I wub you, you have to give em them lol

my ASR works with my slubman's fw you need ot get a plug in GAWD and you put it in gpsys/plugins
they're on his website in teh firmware section

Last edited by a moderator:
heh well at least this hasnt turned into a flame post... I remember I asked the same question a long time ago about using .smc files on my GP and man you guys all but banned me I swear.

Hey... people are gonna do what they're gonna do. I'm sure most of us here are doing things that are wrong and probably illegal in regards to games, I just can't stand it when some of us start preaching to others how what we ALL do is so wrong.

A program called GPDEV makes .SMC's and will extract them to your SMC card (but not encrypt them) makesmc also makes them. There IS a program that will encrypt them for you but I only use it with the hacked freelauncher (just in case I get a NLU/FLU or accidently flash old firmware).

BTW, this thread is VERY stupid. Its like saying the all RAR files are warez, or even all ZIP files are warez. No file type in it self is illegal/warez, its only what you do with those files that is.

kingmidas81 posted on Apr 21 2005 at 09:54 PM said:
ROMS = Games from "Dead" systems i.e. SNES/SFC, Gen, NES, Atari, PCE, WS, etc...

Technically all game Nintendo and Snk Neogeo (old and new) is considered in the Warez from his house. Sometime ago Romshare/Emuchina is forced to remove any dowload from is public server...

A little question: games available in download form and in retail in the shop have the same encryption?

A stupid question: original software on .smc can be playied in different gp32? ( I ask directly because my bad english don't help my to understand good in the various post :) )

i don't get the double standards (double moral..)....

some people say it is bad to download cracked commercial games without paying for them, but they say it is ok to crack legally bought versions.
but what you can buy is a license of a game. you don't buy the right to reverse engineering or cracking/manipulating the binaries.
doing this is the exact same thing like pirating, because if you respect the copyright statement, you have to buy every single copy you need.

DemonStar55 posted on Apr 22 2005 at 04:17 AM said:
EvilDragon posted on Apr 21 2005 at 07:14 PM said:
my ASR works with my slubman's fw you need ot get a plug in GAWD and you put it in gpsys/plugins they're on his website in teh firmware section

Really? Strange. Neither Blue Angelo nor Dungeon & Guarder worked for me with this plugin. Only Machine-Encrypted files.

0-bake posted on Apr 22 2005 at 02:09 PM said:
i don't get the double standards (double moral..)....

some people say it is bad to download cracked commercial games without paying for them, but they say it is ok to crack legally bought versions.
but what you can buy is a license of a game. you don't buy the right to reverse engineering or cracking/manipulating the binaries.
doing this is the exact same thing like pirating, because if you respect the copyright statement, you have to buy every single copy you need.

I know.
But what possible chance do I have:
I bought a game (Blue Angelo).
The game doesn't work in my GP32.
So I would give it back and get my money returned.

OR I would act a bit illegal, crack it for myself and DON'T GIVE IT AWAY but use it myself.

What do you think is the better choice for the publisher?

The reverse engineering-copyright is simply for the reason, that coder don't steal the used code and use it to make their own stuff (and money from it).

As I don't do this, it's still illegal - but I don't think any publisher will complain (if any publisher will, I'm gonna send the game back and get my money!)

You can't compare this to downloading cracked games in order to play them without paying (though both is illegal).

Just because murdering somebody and stealing some bread is both a crime, you can't compare them 1:1.

Last edited:
the thing i wanted to say is that you determine what is ok and what is not. this discussion is just basic law, i would have done the same thing like you, of course, but that is not the question.

but: if you want to act absolutely legal, you must buy a license for every unit (i don't know the terms of entware exactly). if you don't do it, entware won't get the money for the license like they won't get the money for a license from someone who downloaded a cracked version. so i think, you can compare it directly.

what i wanted to say is that you can't say that there's something like good piracy and bad piracy.

0-bake posted on Apr 22 2005 at 04:47 PM said:
but: if you want to act absolutely legal, you must buy a license for every unit (i don't know the terms of entware exactly). if you don't do it, entware won't get the money for the license like they won't get the money for a license from someone who downloaded a cracked version. so i think, you can compare it directly.

In THIS case, yes.

But: In fact, I bought some games for my NLU AND for my BLU, cause I like them and really want to support GP32 games - even though I KNOW how to crack them.

I just cracked them because my BLU broke and I got a BLU+ instead - I can't use these licenses anymore on my BLU, so I cracked them to use these on my BLU+ (but still have my own NLU license).

So I just did this to be able to RUN the games, not to getting around buying another license.

Even all my WinXP copies are licensed...

Last edited:
bast525 posted on Apr 21 2005 at 10:00 PM said:
Do you think Nintendo goes so far out of the way to combat piracy of even their oldest games because it's amusing to them to spend a fortune doing so?

I'm sure if you were to go to any game developer company and say "hey do you mind if I just download some of your older games for free since you dont profit from them any more" the reply would be "HELL YES WE FRICKIN MIND!"

Nintendo are just being Nintendo.

Small games developers are a different kettle of fish. Just about every small games developer would be happy for their old games to be available for download. To say otherwise is ignorant. If this was not the case then World of Spectrum and the Amiga Back To the Roots sites along with their thousands of legal downloads would not exist. I'm sure if someone were to start a console site dedicated to preserving roms and getting legal permission they would soon have a library of legally downloadable roms. Or maybe console developers are different to the computer developers? I think not! Maybe such a site exists already?

As I've said before I was briefly involved in developing for the Commodore 64 and I am happy that the few games I was involved with are available for download from the internet.

In fact I found a game I designed and had forgotten about only a few months ago. OK it's a crap game but at least I can play it if I want to and on the GP32 :)

BaDToaD posted on Apr 22 2005 at 05:34 PM said:
I'm sure if someone were to start a console site dedicated to preserving roms and getting legal permission they would soon have a library of legally downloadable roms. Or maybe console developers are different to the computer developers? I think not! Maybe such a site exists already?

Nope, it doesn't yet.
They are kinda different. Not the developers, but the scene.

A lot of computer developers released their software on their own - or the companies weren't that big.

Problem is, most consoles needed licensing for the developers - and therefore the distribution right is limited for the devs. They just can't allow to distribute the files - because the distribution is part of the licensing contract

Last edited:
In any case is a little wrong to obligate anyone to buy 2 time the same software because don't work in other machine if the first one is broken. I just understand who they want delete any form of piracy from the console but with this idea some people don't buy a second machine.

who will buy a second gp32 just to play one of the commercial games?

but do you think, nobody will buy a second computer, because he has to buy a second license of windows?

I would love a Games napster, where you pay to obtain the roms etc. It's make finding them easier, less likely to be a virus with a bit of luck and you'll be helping the game industry because they will have to recieve a royalty from such a program.
And it would be a great back up for all the games ever made....quick someone get a lincense..

0-bake posted on Apr 23 2005 at 12:55 AM said:
who will buy a second gp32 just to play one of the commercial games?

In the case my gp32 is broken ;)

Back