SMC Cards...

Nickmon

Website
Visit site
I have found that since I got my GP32 I have had to reload a 128mb SMC card twice now...

Using the GP, turn it off, turn it on and the machine says it cant find the card... :huh:

Put card in a PC SMC reader and all the data is on it...

Use PCLink reformat and copy back the dirs and files and it works again...

Luckly I use the SMC PC reader to copy the whole card... :D

Is any one else having these problems..??
Any one know if it is possible to backup a bought GP32 game (like TOMAK)??

:blink:

Sorry, can't be too much help here, but about downloading Tomak I think that if you pay for it once then you can download it as many times as you want for free. Because with MoviePark, you only pay once but I had to download it many times, and it was free after the first time. I hope you can figure out your problems, I know someone else knows what to do. ;)

Generally, you only get 5 days after your first download to download it again, but you can back up the file (.zpk package file) to anything you like.

Sorry Chaps you are missing the point about my original post. But are both right if you order and download the game from gpjoy..

I purchased an SMC with the game on..IE the proper software release with box, manual etc..

My question is " On purchased SMC GP32 card games, is there a way of backing them up..".?

My PC CMS reader says that there is nothing on the smc (yes the game plays)...

And I ask this as I have had to reload two purchased blank SMCs with shareware stuff beacuse they had been reported as empty by the GP..

I am just worried that if i start using the TOMAK purchased SMC card with game that if it gets the same fault I will loose the game (Sure I could play and download it ...)

Start PC-Link and go to the Configuration menu. Now click "mode" and select "Normal mode" instead of "GP32 mode".

You should now be able to see the contents of your game (works on my HerKnights game). You can now backup the contents to your PC using PC-Link.

There is no point in backing up commercial boxed games, if the card breaks, the game will only work on the original card.

A backup is very handy before you try to fix/alter/patch anything on your commercial game. Before I changed my herknights from Korean to English I first made sure I had as backup.

if you copy the folder, its still copies the files, regardless of showing up empty

Also theres a 'backup' option in PClink, just use that, works well

All of the above looks correct - it's a good idea to backup the data on your Tomak SMC, but it will only work with the SMC. But in theory after backing it up you can reformat and put the files back if something got screwed up.

As to your problems, I have only had that problem once. I use Mr. Spiv's Multi-firmware and boot directly into windups. After making a desktop change, I went to save, and without thinking, turned off the GP32 immediately (I didn't wait the 2-4 seconds it takes to save). When I next turned my GP32 on, the SMC looked blank until I used the SMC Repair option in Pac-rom (I don't have an SMC card reader so I don't know if the files would have shown up there). After that things were back to normal, haven't had similar problems despite several months of severe use.

In short, my error was caused by turning of the GP32 while accessing the SMC (specifically, saving something to it). Just something to be careful of, no idea what's happening with yours.

Back