Smartphones Versus Portable Games Consoles

dazmanultra

You have your new generation of games consoles coming out, of which the GP32 was probably the first, based around common architecture, as well as being able to play a variety of media (Zodiac, PSP et al).

Question is, phones are evolving in the same direction, but from the other side... obviously, pockets are only a certain size and thus eventually we'll have one device that plays music, movies, games and allows one to communicate - but from whom will the device come from?

I recently purchased an Orange SPV C500 smartphone, and it runs on microsoft software. I can use MiniSD cards in here, and prices are coming down for thse all the time. 2GB cards are currently available for around £150 I believe, with more "normal" sizes of 256MB being available for £20. I can easily see this device usurping my ipod, and to some extent my GP32. Obviously, the button layout of most phone is not condusive to a good game playing environment, but one day, in the future they may just come out with a phone that has a good button layout for games too. And when that day comes, I'll have a lot more room in my pockets :D

Well they will just meet, I believe, and end up on the same level.

I think Sony will really do it first though, as they are in both markets now.

The idea behind the n-gage was sound - however the actual execution was poor. Screen size and resolution as well as issues with the way you had to talk on the phone itself.

Well, you have the choice -

Play games on a Small screen with small tiny push button's as a controller,

OR

Play games on a Much Bigger screen and have a joystick and easy to press buttons :)

Well, you have the choice -

Play games on a Small screen with small tiny push button's as a controller,

OR

Play games on a Much Bigger screen and have a joystick and easy to press buttons :)

That's what I mean - you'd hope that eventually they'd create a device that can do everything, and everything well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate playing Games on my phone! even if I bought the controller extention for it I would still hate it! I rather have 3 diffrent devices than an all in one===> Phone, Camera, Gaming device. Who wants a huge screen on their phone? Man I hate carrying my phone around in my pants as it is.... Is that a Banana in your pocket or your phone or are you happy to see me? hehehehe

SO my vote is for portable Game console!

Back