Sm Card Not Recognised

Dave18

I finally got fed up of slow transfer times so I bought a USB card reader.
Trouble is when I pop in the SMC from my GP32 it doesn't show up (the reader created 4 removable disk drive and they all show as having no media in them).

I also have 2 other SMCs that I use for my camera and the reader recognises these without any problem.

The GP32 continues to access the SMC perfectly. The card is a 128mb one manufactured by TwinMOS.

Anyone got any ideas?

I had nothing but trouble with multi card readers (tried 2 different makes). For some reason they work fine with all card types other than smc :(. The smc reader from gbax works perfectly for me though.

Yep, it was formatted using the Pc-Link cable, can't remember what version of PC-Link but probably 1.2.

The reader was from e-bay and came from HK. It was packaged as new but there is no clue as to the make <_< (no instructions - not that they're really needed)?!? All it says on the front is '2.0 15 in 1 Flash Card Reader/Writer'.

Well I also bought it to read XD Cards as I've also ordered a new camera so hopefully it will work with those else it may as well go in the bin (good job they're cheap! - readers not bins that is - actually bins are cheap - er I'll shut up now). :)

Right well ive got a belkin USB SMC card reader/writer and it didn't recognize my SMC or the files on it when i'd formatted it with Pc-link, so if possible do what i did and format it using your SMC reader/writer that should solve the problem did for me.

Ok, starting the back-up of my smc now.

Question is, how do I reformat my SMC if it isn't recognised by the reader?

Right well ive got a belkin USB SMC card reader/writer and it didn't recognize my SMC or the files on it when i'd formatted it with Pc-link, so if possible do what i did and format it using your SMC reader/writer that should solve the problem did for me.

I seem to get the prob the other way around!
if i format usin the reader then the gp wont recognise it, so i think i formatted mine in pacrom.

Well when i had this problem (the drivers for my reader/writer set it up as drive F) so all i did was right click on drive F and clicked on format, failing this do as Neomorpheus said and format in Pacrom if you have it on your GP.

I think my problem is more fundamental. If I right click on the drive and select format I get a message saying that there is no disk inserted.

There are LEDs on the card reader (4 in total, 1 for each 'group' of flashcards) and from observation it seems that when I insert the GP32 SMC the relevant led keeps flashing (which I believe means interface is in progress). On other SMCs the LED evenually turns solid but on the GP32 one it keeps flashing. My next trick is to format the card in my camera and then see if the reader recognises is. Wish me luck!

Okay, to clear a few things up the GP32 card wasn't recognised by my camera. The camera cards were read fine by the reader. Next logical step by me is to format my GP32 card in my camera (now the camera accesses it perfectly) but still the card reader refuses to acknowledge it.

I can only conclude that my card reader is incompatible with the 128mb card in my GP32, unfortunately this means that I just formatted it for no reason!!!!

Now I have the fun of trying to re-install all my software!

There is no smiley that sums up how I feel right now!!

I have the exact same problem. My 6 in 1 card reader won't recognise my 128mb cards either. Some readers seem to work with the cards with GP32 and other don't. Real pain :(

Back