Slow Sd

Horscht

Banned?
Website
Visit site
Hi

yesterday I went to my local electronics store and I saw a rather cheap 1Gb SD for only 19,99€. So I decided to buy it.
It's made by ECOM and it's labeled 133x, so I assume it should be a 133x card (speedwise). When I tied to copy over a movie (275Mb) onto it, I noticed that it was slightly faster than my SanDisk 1Gb Card. But when I tried to copy over games, it becomes slow as hell. I tried copying over Super Mario War, and it said it would take 28 minutes, after a few seconds it rose up to 167 minutes and the transfer was slow as hell.
I did a benchmark (tiotest) with both cards, and the result is the following:

Code:
SanDisk 1Gb (60x ?)

Write: 0.159 MB/s
Random Write: 0.071 MB/s 
Read: 40.282 MB/s 
Random Read: 41.547 MB/s

Code:
Ecom 1Gb 133x

Write: 0.098 MB/s
Random Write: 0.027 MB/s
Read: 41.329 MB/s 
Random Read: 41.499 MB/s

what the hell is up with that? Allthough being labeled 133x, it's way slower than my SanDisk (60x ?) SD. I tried reformating it several times with no result whatsoever. Any Ideas on how to solve that issue?

thanks in advance

Horscht

EDIT: another thing I noticed. When I try to format the card(s) in Windows XP, Windows tells me my Sandisk has a storage space of 968Mb, my Ecom only 951. How come they are that different?

Horscht posted on Jul 23 2006 at 03:08 AM said:
Hi

yesterday I went to my local electronics store and I saw a rather cheap 1Gb SD for only 19,99€. So I decided to buy it.
It's made by ECOM and it's labeled 133x, so I assume it should be a 133x card (speedwise). When I tied to copy over a movie (275Mb) onto it, I noticed that it was slightly faster than my SanDisk 1Gb Card. But when I tried to copy over games, it becomes slow as hell. I tried copying over Super Mario War, and it said it would take 28 minutes, after a few seconds it rose up to 167 minutes and the transfer was slow as hell.
I did a benchmark (tiotest) with both cards, and the result is the following:

Code:
SanDisk 1Gb (60x ?)

Write: 0.159 MB/s
Random Write: 0.071 MB/s 
Read: 40.282 MB/s 
Random Read: 41.547 MB/s

Code:
Ecom 1Gb 133x

Write: 0.098 MB/s
Random Write: 0.027 MB/s
Read: 41.329 MB/s 
Random Read: 41.499 MB/s

what the hell is up with that? Allthough being labeled 133x, it's way slower than my SanDisk (60x ?) SD. I tried reformating it several times with no result whatsoever. Any Ideas on how to solve that issue?

thanks in advance

Horscht

EDIT: another thing I noticed. When I try to format the card(s) in Windows XP, Windows tells me my Sandisk has a storage space of 968Mb, my Ecom only 951. How come they are that different?

Usable formatted space. A card advertised as 1GB doesn't hold 1GB entirely. Just like HDDs, like my two 10GB drives. Exactly the same, but manufacturing differences, even if the same model, leave one of them 10 - 20MB short of the other one.

Super Mario War has a lot of files I'm guesing, when a movie is just one file. Copying multiple files takes longer because it has to copy a file, make sure it's fully written, then work on the next one. A movie, it just copies and copies, then makes sure it's fully written.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a good chance it's a fake! There are numerous fake SD cards on the market at the moment. I just got stung by a SanDisk 1Gb card. It died after 2 months, and the clue was it ran very very slowily. Hell, I have a 256Mb card that's years old and even that's twice as fast.

Yeah, i brought the card back to the store yesterday. It was ridiculously slow so they took it back without any complaints. Now I ordered a 2Gb Extrememory 133x on Amazon. Hopefully it'll arrive soon.

Back