Sd Card Speeds

loopie

Still Fresh
Hi Guys,

I've just purchased a 2 GIG 7dayshop SD card before I purchase the GPx2 unit and I've tested the speed of it on HD Tach. Its 6.3 MB/s read which I think means about x40.

Is this fast enough for the Neo Geo Emulation and Movies on the GP2x?

Any advice is appreciated :)

It's going to have to be ... you already purchased it ;)

The best thing to do is research a little bit about cards and find the fastest one you can. Since you've already bought it, I'd just test it and see for yourself. Make sure to test it on Neo-Geo with a LARGE rom like Last Blade, SVC: Chaos, or something similar.

Cheers for tips, what speed are your SD cards running at??

I thought £17.99 for 2 gig seemed a good deal, and it did not mention how fast the card was, I guess its pot luck. I wanted some 2600 AA's and a USB pen at the same time so no real loss.

I can always purchase a x133 SD card as well and keep that just for Neo Geo, what do you think?

I've noticed that card speeds are really difficult to reliably measure because it varies very much depending on the card reader you use and the software. Also, the formatting of the card (FAT, FAT32) makes a lot of difference in speed.

It would be nice if there was a good speed-test application for the GP2X itself. Then we can really compare.

I have the slowest 1GB on the market and still can play Neo Geo games without any trouble. Loading times are longer and copying files to the card is a real pain the the ... but its still ok :)

Back