Sleep Mode?

Evertroy

Still Fresh
Hihi. new to the boards here. Long time reader, first time poster.

Anyways, will/does the Wiz offer any kind of sleep mode like the PSP? I don't think there is a sleep button, but maybe a key combination of sorts would do? We could all imagine when and why we would like to sleep the unit, I'm just wondering if it's possible, I can't really find any info on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping the lock switch would do this, I think someone (squidge?) answered back a few months ago that it didn't do much back then but might be possible to use like this. And warmfluffy said something to the extent that it just locked the keys for listening to music etc. So erm, I don't know, but I'm afraid it might be just able to lock the keys.

This is really one of the things that makes me look at pandora with yearning, I'd really prefer an always on device that'd keep my gaming session waiting for the next stint of gaming.

EDIT: key -> switch

Just to confirm, the Wiz has no sleep mode, the power button can be pushed up which locks they keys. Not having a sleep mode isn't a bad thing on the Wiz as it boots pretty quickly anyway!

Have there been changes to the bootup speed recently? I think I last heard it was around 16s or so. Hassle with headphone cables, booting up, selecting emu, navigating to a rom, all this really takes away from the usability of a machine in my opinion.

Headphones is the biggest thing, so I'm hoping the dongle will be decent and support a2dp. Or maybe I have to just settle for not using my phone for music.

There is a way of putting the Pollux into sleep mode which should kill pretty much everything besides the memory refreshing stuff, I've never got around to trying it though.

So the power button is click up once to turn on and then a second click up for hold, correct? Is it pretty stiff so that you don't accidentally kill the power when disabling hold?

I think making a software sleep mode option with the hold switch is a neat idea to save the state if you want to power down with a game running more so than worrying about the boot time. That's what I like about the PSP/DS as I've never been bothered about boot time on those either. You software genius's should consider it for the future of Wiz kernels. :)

'klikklak' said:
Have there been changes to the bootup speed recently? I think I last heard it was around 16s or so. Hassle with headphone cables, booting up, selecting emu, navigating to a rom, all this really takes away from the usability of a machine in my opinion.

Headphones is the biggest thing, so I'm hoping the dongle will be decent and support a2dp. Or maybe I have to just settle for not using my phone for music.
What's wrong with headphones? The socket is a standard headphone jack.

Booting is about 16 seconds, not really long.

Selecting Emu and navigating roms, er not sure what you mean by that, I would imagine you would have to do that on any system.

'MWeston' said:
So the power button is click up once to turn on and then a second click up for hold, correct? Is it pretty stiff so that you don't accidentally kill the power when disabling hold?
To turn the power on and off you push the switch up, it then returns to the middle position. To sleep it you click the button downwards, it's very similar to a PSP in that respect.

Consider starting to a game after walking to the train listening to music on a cellphone. Take cellphone, unlock, stop music, pull out headphones, plug them in a wiz, turn wiz on, 16s, open emulator, select rom, select save state, play.

I might be spoiled, but that's an awful lot of steps for doing something simple. Sure you can do the some of stuff while waiting for the wiz to turn on, but still.

Then again, maybe I just have to make the wiz my only entertainment device, that'd take out most of the steps. At least if the battery is strong enough for a days use, which it should be.

EDIT: I suppose my point (instead of just whining) is that the flow on a pandora is a bit different, a2dp headphones stream both sources, games can be left on while doing other tasks etc.

OK, the above is just complaining about gp2x really, let's hope wiz is faster in menus and when loading programs.

Just optimize your routine man! Turn on Wiz, take cellphone, unlock, stop music, pull out headphones, plug them into Wiz etc. That is a more efficient use of the time you wait while booting.

'WarmFluffyUK' said:
To turn the power on and off you push the switch up, it then returns to the middle position. To sleep it you click the button downwards, it's very similar to a PSP in that respect.
Ah, that sounds very different than the GP2X then. It sounds like there might be a way to make the power button go to sleep mode with a quick flick and power down with a long hold. It depends on what the control logic on the PCB is like and I don't see a dedicated PMIC. I have an idea how it might be done but unless they do it or tell us how this system works, it could be difficult to add. Let's hope there are comments and procedures in the kernel that can be used.

'MWeston' said:
'WarmFluffyUK' said:
Ah, that sounds very different than the GP2X then. It sounds like there might be a way to make the power button go to sleep mode with a quick flick and power down with a long hold. It depends on what the control logic on the PCB is like and I don't see a dedicated PMIC. I have an idea how it might be done but unless they do it or tell us how this system works, it could be difficult to add. Let's hope there are comments and procedures in the kernel that can be used.

Nope, you have to hold the button there before that action will happen, so power on and power off won't happen by accident.

'MWeston' said:
Would not be hard to do. You can set the sleep feature on the Pollux to wake it up upon activation of the power switch.

I read the screen was game-activated, which I suppose means that when there isn't a game running, and I would guess some time elapses, the screen would turn off? I'm not sure about that though...

Back