Getting Discouraged

... and that is was keeps me going and get courage.

The whole thing isn't easy - it's probably the hardest, most time consuming and work intensive thing I will ever do in my whole life - and it must be even more exhausting for Craig sometimes...

But seeing how many guys have the Pandora as most used gadget nowadays, it's really making me proud and happy.
+10000000000

here here - i am also glad you guys never gave up.

... and that is was keeps me going and get courage.

The whole thing isn't easy - it's probably the hardest, most time consuming and work intensive thing I will ever do in my whole life - and it must be even more exhausting for Craig sometimes...

But seeing how many guys have the Pandora as most used gadget nowadays, it's really making me proud and happy.
Don't get me wrong, I've got heaps of respect for you guys for doing what you're doing. Just a little summary of where the project is (in the big picture) every now and again helps a bit for those of us who are furthest from getting our units :)

I have been waiting and reading the forums to pass my time since the day I ordered, patiently waiting, seeing all the banter back and forth about nubs, and keyboards, and China, Premium Orders, and LCD cables, etc... I have since bought an iPad, and Android Tablet, 3 iPhones, a Nexus One, etc... but I have still be waiting for my Pandora.

I can relate to that. I had told everyone who would listen that the Pandora was going to do a bunch of cool things.

A sofa surfing gadget. A games console connected to the TV. A mini media player for the bedroom TV.

A holiday substitute for a laptop (with ssh and vpn etc).

But then time passed, and I got an ipod touch for sofa surfing. I jailbroke it and can ssh out.

I got a wii, and homebrewed it. I can play some retro games on the emulators on it. I bought a Sumvision Cyclone

to do the media player (hdmi upscaled), and then I have a blackberry (and can use it as modem for the itouch)

I got my pandora though. It is a great thing, but, because I'm not a mad gamer, and I have all

the other gadgets that have their own purpose (and are perhaps slicker than the pandora at their own job),

it's not getting as much use as it would have two years ago. It's not going to displace those gadgets now.

Still, as portable device, I don't think anything beats it for versatility.

Yeah, the only real reason I am keeping for now, is because I am a HUGE retro fan... I have 22+ arcade machines in my house and 4 full size pinball machines. You will have a hard time trying to find a bigger retro gaming fan that me... and that doesn't even include my consoles!
Now I envy you. In a good way of course.

It seems that you are definitely a huge retro fan and budget isn't your primary concern.

Can I give you a suggestion?

Upgrade to premium! Its just a few dollars more and you will get your Pandora in a few days. Believe me, it worth every penny (especially for you since you are a retro fan).

Yeah, if I hadn't started this new hobby I probably would have just upgraded, but now I am scrambling to find the $$ for the new hobby.

Budget is always a concern, especially when there is a wife involved...but to be honest, I have been collecting my arcade machines for many, many years and a lot of them I got very cheap or even free and I learned how to fix them myself... so the hobby is much cheaper than one would expect.

orangewhip, please tell me that your name is a reference to The Blues Brothers. You'll be cool in my book forever if it is.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SRp8GrXffhA?feature=oembed

That is exactly where my name came from... been using it as a handle on the web for a long time now.

The Blues Brothers, best movie ever!

My favorite movie of all time (though as you can plainly see, I'm also partial to 2001: A Space Odyssey)!

Last edited by a moderator:
I loathed the Blues Brothers movie remake. :angry:

Yup, the kid ruined it...and John Goodman partially too...ohhh and without Dan Aykroyd on Drugs....well, Elwood just wasn't Elwood. What was up with the voice? LOL

Though, not as good as the original, I still enjoyed the music.

That was actually a sequel, not a remake. I thought people were saying they appreciated the SNL skits more than the movies. I've never seen them, so I wouldn't know.

After waiting this long it's now to the point where I want it not just for all the cool things I wanted to do with it, but to actually see it in front of me and show all who told me I will never see it that "Here it is!" and know that despite the long journey I helped support a concept that may spawn more future creations. For me to quit now would invalidate two years of my life, visiting the boards, collecting materials to use on it etc. I'm in for the long haul now.

After waiting this long it's now to the point where I want it not just for all the cool things I wanted to do with it, but to actually see it in front of me and show all who told me I will never see it that "Here it is!" and know that despite the long journey I helped support a concept that may spawn more future creations. For me to quit now would invalidate two years of my life, visiting the boards, collecting materials to use on it etc. I'm in for the long haul now.

Yes, I am pretty much feeling the same way, though the money could come in handy at the moment...but I will probably stick it out. The only thing I would really ask is that there is more communication, I mean, there hasn't been 1 email sent at all since I purchased the damn thing! That and it would also be nice to have somebody go through and get official queue numbers and email them to people, as I have no idea where I stand. With all the premium and how late I was to order, I think I may be into batch 2 by now...which wouldn't make me too happy.

I tend to lurk in the shadows on this project, I originally pre-ordered back in 2008.. but due to the huge PayPal fiasco, I had to basically request a refund. Then ended up re-ordering back in '09 when OP was able to accept credit card payments once again. I’ve been through very similar thoughts, and I’ve had to stop following the project because of the lack of news or the depressing delays.

In terms of communication, I’ve emailed OP Sales every so often for updates and they’ve been pretty good about getting back to me. As a direct result of our last communication, I ended up upgrading to premium. Looking forward to finally having a Pandora.

The only thing I would really ask is that there is more communication, I mean, there hasn't been 1 email sent at all since I purchased the damn thing!
Personally I think it's better the way they do it. I mean, there was many times when the OPT stuff declared some dates and number which later occurred impossible to meet. If they had sent it to all the customers it would cause just giant mess in the community. The only things that could be safely propagated are official news like "new cases arrived", "200 more PCBs produced", "100 Pandoras shipped this week". But wouldn't be just a spam?

That and it would also be nice to have somebody go through and get official queue numbers and email them to people, as I have no idea where I stand.
I believe you can ask sales@openpandora.org for your queue number all the time. But what's been written on the boards those numbers are often misleading.

With all the premium and how late I was to order, I think I may be into batch 2 by now...which wouldn't make me too happy.
Well, with all those changes whole idea of batches is getting a bit vague. For my personal use I distinguish batches by order date. First batch - from the very beginning to July 2010 where second batch pre-orders opened. And finally from January 2011 OP started selling "premiums". Instead of date batches could be also determined by price: $330, $350 and finally $499.

Of course one can call "first batch" just the first 4000 assembled Pandoras, but that barrier is now purely psychological since even different parts were ordered in different tranches. From what I know there are no official data how many Pandoras from first batch were sold. Only thing I can tell that there are people who ordered even after You (including myself) :)

No ones going to flame you my friend its understandable why your upset.

I have since bought an iPad, and Android Tablet, 3 iPhones, a Nexus One, etc... but I have still be waiting for my Pandora.

You really bought all those? ... you sound loaded!

Upgrade to premium you won't regret! :p

No ones going to flame you my friend its understandable why your upset.

I have since bought an iPad, and Android Tablet, 3 iPhones, a Nexus One, etc... but I have still be waiting for my Pandora.

You really bought all those? ... you sound loaded!

Upgrade to premium you won't regret! :p

I'm really confused. What's the difference between a "premium" Pandora and a "regular" Pandora?

pre-orders for the pandora have started in early october/late september of 2008, 1st batch was 4000 units "planned" with some spots left for rma and stuff, those initial preorders are still behind and still being shipped, theyre up to around 2000 units shipped? well anyway, once production was sort of steady, in order for OPT to stay in business, they had to sell the items for more then originally planned($330) and the way they did this was selling the units at $500, and it will ship withing 7 days, making it the premium, while there are people who ordered 2+years(Months) ago who still havent had a single pandora, but they,we,us only payed $330, or $350 for 2nd batch. did i explain this well enough?

The thing that confuses people is they think that "Premium" refers to the pandora itself. It does not. In actuality it is YOU, the "premium customer". You pay for special treatment.

They should drop the "Premium" moniker and just call it "Retail".

Back