Sl On Pandora?

levi1123

Will Second Life / Emerald Viewer be capable of running on the Pandora well enough to look at, or run period on its hardware?

So far my netbook gets a whole 4 fps out of SL, was wondering if it'll run better than that on the pandora.

Unless there is an ARM client you won't even have the ability to even run anything at all. Let alone the speed.
Imagine the Pandora more like a PSP in the form factor of an NDS with the OS like a normal desktop. You wouldn't expect your PSP to run Second Life neither - would you?

//Edit: Ignore this post, SL went open source some time ago. You can build your own ARM client now if you want to.

The Linux Second Life client is open source with a minimum recommended spec of 800 Mhz (for x86, obviously). It needs a lot of memory, though.
With some rewrites and Pandora specific optimizations, it is very possible that it could be made to run. It would take a lot of work though, and in the end we might find it is very short on memory.
In short, it's not proven impossible, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

WizardStan said:
The Linux Second Life client is open source with a minimum recommended spec of 800 Mhz (for x86, obviously). It needs a lot of memory, though.
With some rewrites and Pandora specific optimizations, it is very possible that it could be made to run. It would take a lot of work though, and in the end we might find it is very short on memory.

and it use OpenGL...
but from what I just read on wikipedia there's even some text client... there's definatly some client that might run on the pandora if ported... now if no one want to do the port...

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:

What?! It's open source? Since when? When I played SL years ago it only had the SDK open sourced while the client was only available as binary iIrc. But you are right - they opened the viewer, never heard of that before :eek:

JayFoxRox said:
But you are right - they opened the viewer, never heard of that before :eek:
You're welcome :)

Sphinxter said:
Oh what a let down, I thought it was another Spanish thing. SI, pandora es bueno.
SI, segon... puta madre segundo vida ;P

/\

is that necesary?

i already have enough with the another thread.

Sphinxter said:
Oh what a let down, I thought it was another Spanish thing. SI, pandora es bueno.
I thought it meant SI units, and that it was going to be an argument about KB vs KiB and such.

Aninhumer said:
Sphinxter said:
I thought it meant SI units, and that it was going to be an argument about KB vs KiB and such.
I thought "Is it so damn hard to write out abbreviations that aren't used on a daily basis here"

Aninhumer said:
Sphinxter said:

At least three people would have linked to the XKCD strip.

WizardStan said:

Thanks for the replies all, and damn.. was hoping it'd work. Not that it can't but that it currently doesn't. Unfortunately for this idea, I'm no more than an "end-user" of Linux in general. No idea how to code.

NeoTheFox said:
I think i will try to port)
Love SL

Hey, if theres anything i can help with etc let me know. I would have no idea how to code something, though i do have exp working with Glovepie for a few years with the Wiiimote and a few IRC bots. No idea how to start coding something but i could maybe proofread something if you need it?

There have been a couple devs who've released their own viewers (SL has had an opensource client for 2+ years now), but SL changed their EULA's a bit, so you can't build a 3rd party viewer without the red tape. I was going to ask that guy about building one for the Panda, but I guess that's not going to happen. I bet some other devs who've released their own viewers are in the same boat.

But here's hoping for something I guess, most devs I've run into just scratch their heads and say, "what would I want to do that for?". They'd rather program an emulator I suppose :lol:

Also this was requested in port requests already.

zevdawg said:
There have been a couple devs who've released their own viewers (SL has had an opensource client for 2+ years now), but SL changed their EULA's a bit, so you can't build a 3rd party viewer without the red tape. I was going to ask that guy about building one for the Panda, but I guess that's not going to happen. I bet some other devs who've released their own viewers are in the same boat.

But here's hoping for something I guess, most devs I've run into just scratch their heads and say, "what would I want to do that for?". They'd rather program an emulator I suppose :lol:

Also this was requested in port requests already.

If i had the 1337 5kI11z that these people have with coding, i'd love to put SL on the panda =) but i think that even without doing a HELLO WORLD script before.. Taking on porting something to it is a bit much..

Back