Msi Wind Netbook Variant Or Pandora?

mypetfrog

Still Fresh
With ALDI today announcing their rebadged MSI Wind 10" Netbook for just £272 this thursday, I'm wondering what the comparison would be for specs of this and a Pandora?

Sure it's bigger but would this tiny netbook be powerful enough to compete with the Pandora in terms of running emulators, after installing Linux of course? I have no technical knowledge of processor speeds and graphical prowess of course, just curious?

Here's the Aldi machine...
Aldi 10" netbook

Anyone have any comparison comments?

I think when I first looked at Pandora it was going to be a great emulator machine, but now its scope is much wider, I do wonder whether this Aldi / MSI Wind machine will do all that the Pandora might and more?

mypetfrog said:
Anyone have any comparison comments?
They don't tell you the battery life, which can be as low as 3 hours on some netbooks - that'd kill a device's usefullness for me, as I'd want to use it on long journeys without having to recharge regularly

Last edited by a moderator:
not to mention that it has xp, which will soon be completely dropped by microsoft support wise to force people onto vista.

I've got a MSI wind and installed Ubuntu on it. I can play snes games thanks to zsnes or snes9x. I guess i can emulate some other old machines of the same "power" range. The game speed is good as far as you don't use some software filters improvements (some of them are too much processor consuming). In term of emulation, i think the pandora is better (and I'm sure it's better as far as 3D is concerned).

In addition to this, the pandora is made to be handheld, which is not the case of the msi wind. So, to play games everywhere, the pandora is the machine you need. But if you're planning to use your machine to surf the web, read your emails, use open office,... you're looking for a netbook like the MSI wind.

If you can't choose between the two devices, just get both of them ;)

I tried to fit my 901 into my pocket but alas it would not go no matter what I did

The wind is a nify netbook, battery life is not great however....
Be sure to get the latest bios update.
But it's cheap as (expensive) chips and with a linux distro and bigger hd in it it's really a very nice travel companion, especially good to dump pictures on and play a divx ....

I must say however that from screen estate I often find myself surfing on my N800 instead of the wind as this more comfy to hold and the wind's higher screen resolution is not that much bigger that it makes a whole world of difference...

It's the old apples and oranges problem. Hard to give an advice.

Make a list of what is important to you and ask again :)

I like the Acer One quite a bit. I have to unit with XP. It's nice, great battery life. I still like my Powerbook G4 better.

The pandora is in a different league as far as emulation and portability. But with the pandora where it is right now the choice is simple. Netbook first Pandora next.

mypetfrog said:
I think when I first looked at Pandora it was going to be a great emulator machine, but now its scope is much wider, I do wonder whether this Aldi / MSI Wind machine will do all that the Pandora might and more?
Gaming controls, portability, battery life.

cb88 said:
better question.. could we get ALDI to sell the pandora!?
Aldi has an extremely aggressive pricing, there wouldn't be much left for the team, I suppose. But if you have a deal, you have incredible sales.

Edit:
By far, the most appealing netbook to me is the Everun Note.

salasq said:
mypetfrog said:
Gaming controls, portability, battery life.
Agreed. And exclusivity too! :D

mali said:
cb88 said:
better question.. could we get ALDI to sell the pandora!?
Aldi has an extremely aggressive pricing, there wouldn't be much left for the team, I suppose. But if you have a deal, you have incredible sales.

Edit:
By far, the most appealing netbook to me is the Everun Note.

My friend just bought that.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

That thing is AMAZING.

I mean, really. Fucking godly.

It's x86.

I'll never make the mistake of buying an x86 portable ever again.

I think the question comes down to what do you own currently? Say you have nothing. If you're willing to increase in size from a pandora to a netbook, why not go bigger and get a full blown laptop? If you already have a laptop, what do you really gain by getting a netbook? You still can't put it in your pocket, and the battery life will be similar.

The netbook only makes sense if it fits perfectly in with your needs. Such as, lightweight, cheap, modest power etc.

anexanhume said:
If you already have a laptop, what do you really gain by getting a netbook? You still can't put it in your pocket, and the battery life will be similar.
I own a 17", 15", 14", and 12" laptop that I use for various purposes. I use the 12" one more than any other and have in fact retired the others to other uses (15" dedicated at work, the 17" powers my TV, 14" for my wife.)

I could see myself using a netbook most of the time, even though I have practically every size laptop. Nothing beats the convenience of carrying your computer from room to room with one hand, while it is open and running.

Then again, I don't need a netbook. I have a Pandora on order :p

mechanizeddeath said:
The battery life has been the thing keeping me from the netbooks. And believe me, it's been tempting to get one. But for how I'd use it, the Pandora just makes more sense.
The 901 battery lasts 5 hours with Ubuntu and wifi on, I picked up a 8800 battery from ebay for 25gbp and that lasts for ~ 8 hours. For long journeys I take both, but I could have also brought a 10k battery from ebay too, but I have no idea how long that would last for.

The 901 has its place, but I want the pandy to replace the WM PDA I have sitting in my pocket. That ofc depends on how secure I can make the data on it, but I'm very confident I can have all my work notes and conf files on my pandy ready to make me look good at work :D

Back